Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times

Advertisements

Caldor's new official website: https://corporate.caldor.com/our-story/

Caldor opening in 2015 news release: Caldor Department Store Set To Open Online In Fall 2015 | PRLog

Exciting!!! I have memories as a kid of shopping with mommy at Caldor all over CT. We went to the one in Rocky Hill (where Walmart is now) and occasionally the one in Newington. Also the one in Waterford during the summer when we stayed at our beach house (behind where Walmart is right now).

The company will be an online retailer and will be headquartered in Vernon, CT. This could help create some jobs in the Vernon area.

The CEO is a 24 year old gay guy who went to University of Hartford. Promoting LGBT rights and equality will be part of the corporate mission!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Remember, this is online only.......I knew about this for awhile. Used to love Caldor!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,940,550 times
If you like caldor, this is a great blog:
The Caldor Rainbow
Hasn't been updated in awhile, but some cool stuff nonetheless.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Caldor was great before it was sold. It was a more upscale discount store, sort of like Target. Once sold, it became a junk store, full of cheap crap. It was really sad and no wonder it went out of business. The store started in Port Chester, New York but then moved to a large store on Route 7 in Norwalk near the Wilton town line. I remember going there as a kid. My aunt knew Cal Bennett, the owner, so I even met him. We were so excited when Caldor began expanding and opened a store in Fairfield. I shopped there a lot. Jay

Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,177,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Caldor was great before it was sold. It was a more upscale discount store, sort of like Target. Once sold, it became a junk store, full of cheap crap. It was really sad and no wonder it went out of business. The store started in Port Chester, New York but then moved to a large store on Route 7 in Norwalk near the Wilton town line. I remember going there as a kid. My aunt knew Cal Bennett, the owner, so I even met him. We were so excited when Caldor began expanding and opened a store in Fairfield. I shopped there a lot. Jay
Caldor was a classic, the one on Rt 7 is the Walmart now, there was also one on Conn. Ave. where the Kohls is now.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
The one that was in Newington is now a Stew Leonards.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Caldor was great before it was sold. It was a more upscale discount store, sort of like Target. Once sold, it became a junk store, full of cheap crap. It was really sad and no wonder it went out of business.
Bradlee's wasn't that bad either. But at the end, both of them were really sad places. I still haven't encountered anywhere that topped Stratford Town Fair for the worst shopping experience though. That place would have made Walmart look like an upscale store. LOL.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:23 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Bradlee's wasn't that bad either. But at the end, both of them were really sad places. I still haven't encountered anywhere that topped Stratford Town Fair for the worst shopping experience though. That place would have made Walmart look like an upscale store. LOL.
So true. I could never get over the fact that the store had no ceiling. You looked up and all you saw was the underside of the roof. This was before it was considered stylish to expose the structure and believe me that store was anything but stylish. Still it was cheap and it was opened late, even on Christmas Eve. I remember my aunt use to go there Christmas Eve to do last minute shopping. Not sure what was left at that point. Jay

Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
I was a cashier at the one in Stamford while in HS in the early 70s. Awful place, awful customers. I was making minimum wage working part time and still got a shakedown from the union reps. Luckily for me I sprained my wrist, so I couldn't manage a regular register or stock shelves, so they put me in the parking garage booth. Got a lot of homework done there :-)

Old 02-05-2015, 12:22 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,727 times
Worked at Caldor Corp when the end came. This is what we were told. They had finished their restructuring/retooling, were poised to emerge from bantuptcy, the judge had signed off--- when blammo the investment conglomerate that had invested and backed them during restructure called for an all cash payout. I don't remember exact details it was something like maybe cash payout request was for guessing 7million and they only had 5million liquid. There was a tense week+ while staff was told the judge was trying give Caldor time. In the end the investors forced the liquidation. Contractual severance pay got paid in drips & drabs over at least 18months. Sad shame the way it played out. Real life corporate raiding Gordon Gecko scenario. When they closed they were in the top five discount retailers in the NorthEastern US. They were an absolutely awesome company to work for. Heard this young guy was bringing it back a while ago. Good for him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut