Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 11,751 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone - at the end of March I will be moving to Connecticut to start a new life and be closer to my daughters. I am 55 and have been a state worker the last 15 years doing budget work; I do not have a job lined up. I need advice on towns to live in ( I don't care about schools and I want somewhere safe with hopefully a small yard for my cat.) I also need to find a job. I will be staying with a friend for a few weeks but will need to find a rental pretty quickly. Any advice will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
There are many, many good towns in CT. It will be impossible to give you recommendations without knowing more.

- Budget
- Preferences on town (more or less dense, lively, quiet, rural, suburban, urban)
- Coast or inland?
- Shopping needs?
- Restaurant access important?
- Is a downtown important?
- How much land do you want?
- Near a city? What kind of city?
- Public transportation access?
- What kind of job are you looking for? A job with the state, town, or city? Or something private sector? If so, what's your specialty?

Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Are you SURE you want to move up here with all the cold and snow????

Not just this winter but for the past several years.

No way in hell I would move to the Hudson Bay (as far north of CT as CT is north of FL) permanantly, unless I was paid a ridiculus amount of money (at least $500,000 a year)!!

I don't want to be a downer, but I just want to make absolutely sure you would like it here. Not just the cold, but the high COL to go with it!!

Tell ya what, find your local grocery store, speak with the manager, and ask him if you can spend about an hour inside the walk-in freezer.

If you still want to live here after doing that, then by all means.........

Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Are you SURE you want to move up here with all the cold and snow????

Not just this winter but for the past several years.

No way in hell I would move to the Hudson Bay (as far north of CT as CT is north of FL) permanantly, unless I was paid a ridiculus amount of money (at least $500,000 a year)!!

I don't want to be a downer, but I just want to make absolutely sure you would like it here. Not just the cold, but the high COL to go with it!!

Tell ya what, find your local grocery store, speak with the manager, and ask him if you can spend about an hour inside the walk-in freezer.

If you still want to live here after doing that, then by all means.........
Did you miss the "be closer to my daughters part"?
some things are more important than weather and COL

Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 AM

My budget will depend on the type of job I get - I assume it is hard to find a townhouse rental for under $1K a month but that would be my goal. Inland is fine and I assume is a lot cheaper. I only need a small yard for my cat and since it is only me I won't need a big place.
I have a college degree and experience doing office work, retail, paralegal work. How difficult is it to get a state job? In Florida it really pays to know someone if you want to get hired.
As far as the type of town I would love something quiet but be able to easily drive somewhere for shopping and restaurants. I am bringing my car with me so public transportation is not a big issue.
My biggest worry is finding a job - because of my age and my job experience is pretty generic. I am moving to be closer to my daughters but also to find a better life. Living is Florida is like dying a slow death, just waiting to retire and everyday is hot and filled with mosquitoes. I guess I have that Gilmore girl dream of living in CT and being able to go to Manhattan on the weekend.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 AM

I lived in Missouri growing up and I am used to cold weather. I love seasons so that is not a problem for me.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Where does your daughter live? This way we can narrow down some towns in that specific region.

We don't want you to look for a job in Hartford when your daughter lives in Greenwich. With your experience it shouldn't be hard. CT has a pretty healthy economy.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 AM

My daughter is in Brooklyn (the other one is in Chicago.) I read about the Metro North train and I don't have to be close to the NY border (I know that is really expensive.) Just being able to see her on the weekend (and being able to fly my other daughter in on a cheap flight) will making moving worth it. Now I only see them once or twice a year.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
I would look into New Haven County (towns like Branford, Wallingford, North Haven, even Milford). Easy ride on Metro North and straight shot up 91 to Bradley Airport. Also, finding employment in the New Haven Metro will be easier. It's a metro that is doing very well.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycat View Post
I lived in Missouri growing up and I am used to cold weather. I love seasons so that is not a problem for me.
OK! Good to know! That'll make acclimating a lot easier!

I would suggest the Hartford area over Fairfield county as you will still be close enough to NYC to visit on the weekends.

The Hartford Metro area is a lot more relaxed, has MUCH less traffic, and is A LOT more reasonable in COL to salary ratio. Not to mention more friendly people (overall of course).

New Haven area would be my 2nd choice as Mr. 250 stated, preferably north of NH since there is less traffic and further from I-95, which is often a MESS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut