Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:33 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,107 times

Advertisements

Cool to know. I've been to the Windsor location too, but never had the pizza there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 04:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,671,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The original Vito's location in Wethersfield was opened by Ann Maffucci and her husband Vito in a small shop on the side of the building they are currently in. They moved to a larger storefront that is a portion of where they are now in about 1985. I use to go there a lot so they knew me. Vito's by the Park in Hartford is a branch run by their son. There is also Vito's by the Water in Windsor which I think is also run by the son. There was a Vitos in Newington which was run by their daughter but it has closed. I am not sure why. And at one time there was a branch in Middletown which I think was run by a former employee but it closed not long after it opened. Ann developed their deep dish pizza recipe and it is wonderful. Full to the rim with meats and cheese. So good and so filling. Jay
i never had the pizza at any of the Vito's locations but i have been to the one in Newington and didn't like it. last i was there, i got a salad and garlic bread plus even more bread because of the salad but the bread was stale and they chintzed on the salad (only filled it half way and not enough lettuce). i said 'that's it for this place'.
the one pizza place in that area that i know i do like is Stretch's. haven't tried Newington Pizza though other stuff i've gotten there was pretty decent.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,202,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

A few are missing for me. Jimmy's Apizza, Jordan's (for Greek), and a few others.
What exactly is Greek pizza? I mean I've had it already (there's a place in Stamford that my boss likes and we've ordered take-out from there a number of times. But it doesn't seem particularly "Greek" to me (i.e. It's not topped with feta cheese or olives)). Also, as a child my cousin went to summer camp up in Torrington, and when she came up to visit us from the city years ago when she was pregnant, she made her husband drive from our house in NF up to Torrington to pick up a couple of pies of "Greek" pizza she was craving. Again, nothing about that reminded me of tasting particularly Greek either -- it was just a pie (deeper dish than normal, but not Chicago deep) with sauce and cheese. I'm not particularly wowed by it, but I guess I'm just curious what makes it Greek? Is it determined by the owners, or is it an actual particular style? And is it a CT/New England thing? Never heard of it before I moved here...

Old 02-23-2015, 07:55 PM

3,429 posts, read 3,902,169 times
Greek pizza is cut in squares, has a tangy sauce and is a bit greasy. I think it's made in pans, but I'm not 100% on that. It's made by Greek pizzerias, hence the name.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,202,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Greek pizza is cut in squares, has a tangy sauce and is a bit greasy. I think it's made in pans, but I'm not 100% on that. It's made by Greek pizzerias, hence the name.
Thanks. Yeah, the place we order from in Stamford cuts the pie in a diamond pattern -- a whole bunch of small square slices. I can't remember how the torrington place cut their pizza -- it was so long ago and I only had it once from there. But I do remember it had a deeper crust, like the place in Stamford does too, so the fact you say it's cooked in a pan does make sense. Maybe that's what makes it Greek, as opposed to the nationality of the owners/cook. Meaning, even if it were a Spanish restaurant owner who cooked his pizza in a pan like that and cut it in small squares, it would still be called Greek pizza?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,150,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Yes, exactly, and thicker crust. Jordans cooks them in shallow pans, they have a location in Southbury.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:21 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,107 times
Greek style pizza also tends to have more cheese.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 PM

21,475 posts, read 27,718,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
What I'd like to find is a good Deep Dish Chicago style pizza in CT. I have never found one, altho I remember Pizzeria Uno had a location behind Dairy Queen on the Berlin Trpke 10-15 years ago.
Last Pizzeria Uno in CT is in Milford on Route 1.

I actually went after going to one of the "best" deep dish places in Chicago. There wasn't much difference. It's good but it's not really "pizza" to me.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 AM

3,429 posts, read 3,902,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Thanks. Yeah, the place we order from in Stamford cuts the pie in a diamond pattern -- a whole bunch of small square slices. I can't remember how the torrington place cut their pizza -- it was so long ago and I only had it once from there. But I do remember it had a deeper crust, like the place in Stamford does too, so the fact you say it's cooked in a pan does make sense. Maybe that's what makes it Greek, as opposed to the nationality of the owners/cook. Meaning, even if it were a Spanish restaurant owner who cooked his pizza in a pan like that and cut it in small squares, it would still be called Greek pizza?
At this point it's a style of pizza, so it would be "Greek" pizza no matter the ethnicity of the restaurant.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:02 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,385,516 times
I picked up a pie from Stanziato’s last night in Danbury. I got the El Diablo, which was a white pie with mozzarella, grilled shrimp and garlic. It was good, but not worth $17 + tax. It was just enough for dinner for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut