Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 AM

235 posts, read 783,454 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're relocating to Fairfield County CT from New Jersey, and my office commute + budget allow us to look for homes in the Stratford/Trumbull/Monroe area (there's not much available for my budget of 550-600K around Fairfield or even Norwalk). Would anyone be able to give me some comparisons between these three towns, especially as places to live, quality of elementary schools, neighborhoods, re-sale value of housing, etc? The best quality homes we've seen are in Stratford (Oronoque area) but with huge property taxes. On the other hand, the nicest town appears to be Trumbull. Dazed & confused !!!

Cheers
Nish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Depending on how far that you want to commute, Danbury might be an option. It is not along the I-95 corridor and is considerably more affordable than towns such as Fairfield and Norwalk with less traffic getting around town. It is about 45 minutes to Norwalk and Stratford. For that amount of money, you should find many options that are nier and larger than what you get on the coast. Taxes in that price range would be between $4200 and $5500 a year. You can find a 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath colonial with about 2800 square feet on an acre that is about 20 years old on a quiet culdasac for that amount of an investment.

There are 12 elementary schools, including a brand new maget school affiated with the local university. If you live on the wesat side of town, your childern will attend either Mill Ridge or King Street schools. Each of them has 2 seperate schools (K-2, 3-5) and are considered to be the more progessive schools in the district. The middle and high schools have been expanded and upgraded in recent years.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 AM

Thanks, jdhall. I work in Wilton, and had looked at Danbury some time ago. The commute along Route 7 turns me off (almost an hour some days), which is why I switched to Stratford/Trumbull - commuting via the Meritt is faster. Would you know which town (Stratford or Trumbull) is rated better to live in?

Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 17,915 times
I grew up in Trumbull and currently reside in Fairfield. I will send you a pm.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Nish2006,
I completly understand the RT7 mess. My grandparents had their home taken in the early 1970s by the state since an offramp was going to be running through their frontyard. And we all know what happened with that! However, there are several backroad options to get you into Wilton (Old Ridgebury Road to Ridgebury rd to 116 south to 35 South (Main Street Ridgefield) to 33 south).
If I had to choose between Stratford/Trumbull, I would choose Trumbull. Their schools have a better reputation and there are more shopping options in Trumbull.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 AM

jdhall,

Thanks for the info about backroads, I'll remember that.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 AM

Red face North Stratford - any feedback?

Hi, we've been looking at homes in Stratford,Monroe & Trumbull lately and the best value for money (around 600K) is clearly North Stratford, though I'd choose Trumbull in a flash if we could afford the prices!

Could anyone who knows Stratford tell me more about the area? I realize the town is rated a little below its neighbors because of its proximity to Bridgeport (and also has high taxes), but are the schools any good around Oronoque, is it a good place to live and have home prices there appreciated in recent years ? Many thanks.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:17 PM

43 posts, read 276,966 times
you should also consider some parts of Shelton, and Newtown.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:51 AM

Thanks, kenfried. I hadn't considered those since I work in Wilton, and the commute along the Merritt from Stratford/Trumbull seemed convenient.Will take a look, though.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:27 AM

71 posts, read 272,900 times
near the Shelton/Trumbull line is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut