Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkv View Post
I like the "panhandle" term because everyone instinctively knows what you are talking about. I can't believe you are getting pushback.
Pushback is a bit strong, but definitely raised eyebrows from panhandle residents. I was skiing at Snowbird a couple weeks ago and happened to ride a lift with a guy from new Canaan and a local. I high-fived the new Canaan guy cause we're neighbors and the other guy asked where we were talking about. I responded that Pound Ridge bordered New Canaan, which is in the CT panhandle. The look on the new Canaan guy's face was priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:12 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I grew up in the "panhandle" and never used this term nor have i ever known anyone to use the term. Also, the whole lower FC is NY thing is an upstater perception. I, people I know, grew up with, friends always consider themselves 100% CT. I've never heard " Hey dude, were like kind of from NY" or "Hey dude, doesn't it feel like NY around here". Maybe it's an outsider, newcomer thing.
Actually (and this coming from someone in NY who lives near that area) I have seen the whole "lower FC is NY" phenomenon. First off, a lot of the people there (not all, but a significant number) moved there from NY. Second, here's a perfect example of it. A few years ago, when because of some dispute with ABC where the Oscars were not going to be shown on their NYC affiliate channel 7, I remember some Facebook friends (all ex-NYers I believe) from Greenwich and Stamford not realizing that unlike the NY and NJ parts of the metro area, they had the option to still watch it on channel 8/WTNH. Many didn't realize it even exists and a couple of them even "lamented" having to watch it on there as if it would be a really different negative kind of experience (only thing I could think would be different is they may see ads for "local" news).

("Fortunately" for them, they settled it right when the Oscars was starting)

Old 03-08-2015, 07:00 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,476 times
Though it's geographically correct, I've never heard anyone use the panhandle term for that part of the state, not even meteorologists. Maybe because CT is so small.

If you think about it, a few other states besides Oklahoma, Texas and Florida that have panhandles, but may have other names for them, like Missouri's Bootheel region (the southeastern part wedged between Arkansas and Tennessee).

Old 03-08-2015, 07:12 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
"Panhandle" is about the territorial part of a state. When someone simply says SW CT it means Danbury, Weston, Redding, are part of it. But when you say "Panhandle", people know its the narrow strip part on the state.

Florida Panhandle is 40 miles North-South
Oklahoma Panhandle is 33 miles North-South.
Connecticut Panhandle is 10 miles New Canaan to Rowayton

I wonder if "Panhandle" refers to just an East-West shape because with Idaho it's easier to say northern ID and know where that is. But Idaho is 44 miles wide East-West

Old 03-08-2015, 08:23 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
"Panhandle" is about the territorial part of a state. When someone simply says SW CT it means Danbury, Weston, Redding, are part of it. But when you say "Panhandle", people know its the narrow strip part on the state.

Florida Panhandle is 40 miles North-South
Oklahoma Panhandle is 33 miles North-South.
Connecticut Panhandle is 10 miles New Canaan to Rowayton

I wonder if "Panhandle" refers to just an East-West shape because with Idaho it's easier to say northern ID and know where that is. But Idaho is 44 miles wide East-West
Per Wikipedia, CT made the list of US states with a panhandle -- so did Idaho, though apparently some refer to it as a "chimney" Panhandle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,727 times
No we don't call it panhandle. Yes we get the geography outline looks like it, but no. Sorry
I've always just heard that area colloquially called "lower Fairfield County" or refer to each town separately.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:10 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
No we don't call it panhandle. Yes we get the geography outline looks like it, but no. Sorry
I've always just heard that area colloquially called "lower Fairfield County" or refer to each town separately.
Agree. Most people outside of FF/NH/LF counties call it "FFC". Anyone who resides in the previous three counties generally refers to it by town. I don't think its a coincidence that these three counties are also part of greater NYC. The culture is pretty similar (varies by town, of course, but regionally, similar culture).

Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,828,917 times
I've never heard any one talk about the "panhandle" section of CT, but I'm from Hartford area. I've also never been asked about it even when traveling to other parts of the country.

One thing that comes up sometimes if you are talking to someone from another country and you tell them your from CT, they inevitably ask where's CT ? Simple answer is east of NYC or if you're in Hartford area "approx 100 miles northeast of NYC" Everyone seems to know where NYC is on a map.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
I only started to mention it lately and its growing on me. Not many inside the panhandle likes to be referred to as outside "NYC" or near southern NY. And since southern CT is to wide to use and SWCT means locations outside the handle, Panhandle has more meaning.. I like using that terminology. Good for talking weather too since that area is a bit different

Old 03-08-2015, 11:36 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Having lived in both areas, this is 100% accurate. Mention Woodbridge to someone in Stamford, and they think of Woodbridge NJ. Heck, many people in lower FFC have never even been to New Haven, and view the rest of CT as inferior. Very strange.
Truth (not the part of viewing the rest of the state as inferior because I certainly do not -- just the sense of living almost entirely removed from the rest of the state). Btw, i have no idea where Woodbridge is, nor am I entirely certain I ever heard of it. I think double whammy for me (aside from living in FFC and on the border) is the fact that I live in New Fairfield ... My town borders only 2 other CT towns, (1) Danbury; and (2) Sherman (which almost doesn't count because in many ways NF and Sherman are extensions of each other since the two towns share so much). Not much "real" CT influence in these parts over here...

Last edited by Lalalally; 03-08-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut