U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 PM

21,351 posts, read 35,109,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boog204 View Post
The other dog in the fight for East Hampton/Marlborough is that they qualify under the USDA Rural Mortgage which allows a low down payment with no additional mortgage insurance. These loans, as I understand them, are designed to encourage growth in the smaller towns. I think I'd prefer to have my family along the Rt 9/91 corridor due to the access to more amenities, but if the quality of house and ease of purchase trump that, then I'd be willing to relocate.
Have you looked further down Route 9 into Haddam. Seems like a nice town too. Not too sure how the schools compare though. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 PM

4,730 posts, read 7,385,322 times
The HOA in Spice Hill is for not much of anything. It pays for the use of subdivision open space and for the landscaping at the entry to Spice Hill. You would have to read any by-laws to see if the HOA has any restrictions, etc. There are four homes for sale on Tarragon and some others throughout the subdivision. This is pretty typical of the subdivision.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:08 AM

21,351 posts, read 35,109,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The HOA in Spice Hill is for not much of anything. It pays for the use of subdivision open space and for the landscaping at the entry to Spice Hill. You would have to read any by-laws to see if the HOA has any restrictions, etc. There are four homes for sale on Tarragon and some others throughout the subdivision. This is pretty typical of the subdivision.
Not true. They also control the water supply and possibly the sanitary sewer. They have a lot of rules governing a homes appearance and I believe part of the problem relates to a few residents strictly enforcing the rules. I will try to get more information from my friend that lives there. Jay

Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 5,197 times
What exactly does "control the water supply" mean? By my count there are 6 for sale on Tarragon and 6 for sale on Spice Hill Rd. If that's under the same association ownership, then that would seem to indicate an issue, no?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,793,161 times
A few years ago I looked at some homes in a subdivision called "Royal Oaks" in East Hampton. They were new construction and were trying to sell the remaining units. The lots were very small and all the houses used heating oil for heat. I thought that was odd since they had town water and sewer. Why didn't they just lay the pipe for natural gas at the same time?

This place had an HOA as well, but the yearly cost was very low. I'm not sure what they did, but I found out they had some covenants which prohibited storing boats in your driveway and junk car(s) and/or fixing your car(s) in the driveway.

Junk car prohibition I can understand the other two not so much. Especially considering the property was within one mile of Lake Pocotopaug. I would imagine a lot of people would want to use boats on the lake. I don't own a boat so not a big deal to me, but I can imagine that being an issue if you had to sell in the future.

At the very least I did find a really good pizza place on RT 66 in East Hampton. I don't remember the name, but it's easy to notice.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 AM

4,730 posts, read 7,385,322 times
I should add that the HOA fee also includes snow plowing. The HOA fee as noted by real estate agents is only about $ 6-7 a month. That's not enough to cover water & sewer for a year.

The water supply used to be run by Birmingham Utilities which taken over some years back by South Central Regional Water Authority. This is a huge private company covering many areas of the state. Although it's called city water, it's a privately owned company which draws its water from a series of deep wells in the area. The state tests the wells monthly.

There was some controversy several years back, when it was Birmingham, about the them seeking additional sources of water in the area. They wanted to explore possibilities over by the high school from what I remember. I don't know whatever became of the situation.

What part the HOA plays in the water/ sewer billing, if they even do that, I don't know. Someone familiar with the subdivision may. However, the HOA does not tell either the water company or the sewer district what to do.

As for the number of homes for sale, it's typical. It's a large subdivision for the area. Many of the homes are small - 1700-2000 square feet or so. It tends to appeal to first time buyers or people moving up from condos. People move on to larger homes in more upscale subdivions, they get transferred, they lose their jobs and have to sell, etc.

I only found 4 active on Tarragon. Others may have been expired or closed with signs still up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut