Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,289,319 times

Advertisements

UTC Moving Out of Hartford and into Farmington

UTC Moving Headquarters From Hartford To Farmington - Hartford Courant

Thoughts? Reactions? Comments?
What you say this is bad for Hartford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM

70 posts, read 105,365 times
It was in the works for a long time. I work downtown and that building will have no trouble filling up with new tenants. Farmington is a great spot to be. I am assuming they won't have to pay for the expensive Hartford parking

The issue the City of Hartford faces comes not from the loss of the actual employees, but the message it sends other employers and prospective employers. From my experience so far, these larger companies are not the most original and fall victim to trends like anyone else.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
It was in the works for a long time. I work downtown and that building will have no trouble filling up with new tenants. Farmington is a great spot to be. I am assuming they won't have to pay for the expensive Hartford parking

The issue the City of Hartford faces comes not from the loss of the actual employees, but the message it sends other employers and prospective employers. From my experience so far, these larger companies are not the most original and fall victim to trends like anyone else.
They only took up 3 floors in the Gold Building which isn't alot speaking there's only 26 floors in the whole building. I know Downtown is bringing in more jobs than losing at the moment. Not looking forward to more traffic on route 4 though.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,213,127 times
Which town/city does it have its largest presence? Three floors in one building is not a lot. I thought it was the largest private employer in the state. Or am I wrong about that....?

Old 03-12-2015, 06:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 5,932,105 times
They haven't had much of a presence downtown for many years, so it's not a huge loss other than the name.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Which town/city does it have its largest presence? Three floors in one building is not a lot. I thought it was the largest private employer in the state. Or am I wrong about that....?
They've been transferring employees to Farmington for awhile now. There just moving their headquarters to the Otis Complex.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 PM

How many people work in Downtown Hartford anyways? 40,000? 50,000?

Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 AM

34,761 posts, read 56,586,401 times
Hartford is the largest employment center in the state and overall has about 107,000 people working in it each day. I would assume about half are downtown or Asylum Hill (Aetna & The Hartford). Hartford Hospital, St. Francis and the State Offices in and around the Capitol Building have a lot of the rest.

As I noted in another post on this, Travelers has taken a lot of space in the Gold Building and became the largest tenant there a couple of years ago. I really had to laugh when I read that UTC was doing this to save money. For a multi-billion dollar corporation, how much will they really save by moving to Farmington? Pennies at most. It is just another stupid bean-counter move that they can point to and say look we saved money by doing this. I really think it had more to do with the CEO not wanting to have to drive into a city each day than anything. Jay

Old 03-13-2015, 07:17 AM

3,434 posts, read 3,918,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hartford is the largest employment center in the state and overall has about 107,000 people working in it each day. I would assume about half are downtown or Asylum Hill (Aetna & The Hartford). Hartford Hospital, St. Francis and the State Offices in and around the Capitol Building have a lot of the rest.

As I noted in another post on this, Travelers has taken a lot of space in the Gold Building and became the largest tenant there a couple of years ago. I really had to laugh when I read that UTC was doing this to save money. For a multi-billion dollar corporation, how much will they really save by moving to Farmington? Pennies at most. It is just another stupid bean-counter move that they can point to and say look we saved money by doing this. I really think it had more to do with the CEO not wanting to have to drive into a city each day than anything. Jay
This is what I heard as well. Must be nice to be the boss. Although the Gold Building has a helipad. Why not commute via Blackhawk?

Do you happen to know the breakdown between state and private workers in Hartford? It would be interesting to compare private sector employee numbers between Hartford, Stamford and New Haven.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

The gold building is a pretty old facility. Built back in 1975. Heck if I was the CEO I would have built a new high rise building on Ann Uccelo street. A building that is owned by them, built by them, and the only tenant is them. I know they once owned the Gold Building but that doesn't matter anymore. They only took up 3 floor in the whole building. I saw this coming but with more jobs coming into downtown than out, they should fill up that space in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut