Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:22 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right that Route 68 also travels through Cheshire but it is still not that close to a major highway. There is no interchange at the Wilbur Cross Parkway (Route 15) so you have to snake down to Route 5 making several turns to get to the parkway. I-91 is about 6 miles from Cheshire center which is not far but not close either. And Route 8 is about 9 miles the other way and there is no direct interchange there either. From southern Cheshire, you can catch the Mount Carmel Connector (Route 40) which gets you over to I-91 fairly quickly but the access to the parkway is not easy or direct. Still for a commute to Meriden, Cheshire is a good choice. Jay
As someone who travels from the Danbury area to central Cheshire a few times a month, find Cheshire to be easily accessible from major highways. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:52 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
You are right that Route 68 also travels through Cheshire but it is still not that close to a major highway. There is no interchange at the Wilbur Cross Parkway (Route 15) so you have to snake down to Route 5 making several turns to get to the parkway. I-91 is about 6 miles from Cheshire center which is not far but not close either. And Route 8 is about 9 miles the other way and there is no direct interchange there either. From southern Cheshire, you can catch the Mount Carmel Connector (Route 40) which gets you over to I-91 fairly quickly but the access to the parkway is not easy or direct. Still for a commute to Meriden, Cheshire is a good choice. Jay
6 miles is pretty close lol...

Old 03-16-2015, 01:51 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
As someone who travels from the Danbury area to central Cheshire a few times a month, find Cheshire to be easily accessible from major highways. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
You are coming from the north so of course you would think it is easily accessible since that is where I-84 and I-691 are located. Coming from the east or south, some would find Cheshire removed from the main highways. Driving several miles on a two lane road with multiple traffic signals is not "easy access" IMHO. Jay

Old 03-16-2015, 03:15 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
You are coming from the north so of course you would think it is easily accessible since that is where I-84 and I-691 are located. Coming from the east or south, some would find Cheshire removed from the main highways. Driving several miles on a two lane road with multiple traffic signals is not "easy access" IMHO. Jay
As I stated before, I used to approach Cheshire from the southeast and had no problem getting off in Wallingford and heading west on 68. It is mostly two lanes in each direction through this part of Wallingford so you can go 50+ mph until you hit RT 15. From there it's only few minutes to the Cheshire line. If I lived in this part of Cheshire and had to commute to 91 (granted I'm not sure what rush hour brings to the area), I would not be complaining at all. Perhaps we have different opinions on what "easy access" means. For me, it's pretty easy.

If we were talking about a town like Roxbury, then I'd agree. But this town has two major highways within its town limits, and two other major highways in neighboring communities. Come on now. Lets not split hairs, here.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 16,573 times
Hi all!

We are having trouble finding housing in Woodbridge. The inventory is extremely low there, but we love the elementary school.

Cheshire is really nice too and close to the commute to Meriden, But which elementary school district is preferred? There are so many different Elementary Schools in Cheshire and would like some feedback, where we should purchase our house. We up'd our budget to 500k-700k. But 700K is definitely a stretch.
We prefer a diversity in the school as well.

Would love your feedback...

Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
I don't think any elementary schools are better than the other in Cheshire. It is a good school system. You won't find much diversity in either town, though. St. Bridget's is a PK-8 Catholic school with a good preschool program according to people I know whose kids were there. But they are notorious for sucking you into keeping your kid there especially if you have a "late baby" (born Sept-Dec) that you are considering holding out.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 16,573 times
@AMSS,
Thank you for your response. Good to know there is a good PREK there. Any other PreKs you would recommend as well ?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
If you like Woodbridge, Orange shares the same school system and might have more inventory for you.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:13 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Hi all!

We are having trouble finding housing in Woodbridge. The inventory is extremely low there, but we love the elementary school.

Cheshire is really nice too and close to the commute to Meriden, But which elementary school district is preferred? There are so many different Elementary Schools in Cheshire and would like some feedback, where we should purchase our house. We up'd our budget to 500k-700k. But 700K is definitely a stretch.
We prefer a diversity in the school as well.

Would love your feedback...
I agree with AMSS that there is little difference in the quality of education at schools in Cheshire. They all perform well above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery Tests. Any difference is likely more due to the socio-economic differences of the student than quality of the curriculum. The link below will give you information on each school in Cheshire as well as other school districts in Connecticut. There should be information on the diversity of the schools.

Also I agree with Stylo that you might want to look in Orange as well. Keep in mind that we are just beginning to enter the spring home selling season and that there will likely be more homes coming on the market as people prepare to move over the summer. Good luck, Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
@AMSS,
Thank you for your response. Good to know there is a good PREK there. Any other PreKs you would recommend as well ?
I would imagine that most of them are good - if they aren't, they wouldn't still be open in that area. Cheshire Nursery School, I've heard good things about too. Depending on where you are, there will also be options in Prospect or Southington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut