Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 53,011 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum for about a week....some great info and very knowledgable posters ! We are looking to "establish" roots in the in next 6- 8 months and contemplating CT...we have lived in chicago for 15 years.

Again, I am sure this has been ask a hundred times...but here goes our story.

We are looking for a community and overall family lifesyle...clearly we would like a nice home, property, etc. We have a child under 2 and we will probably need to have access to NYC, or the NY area, not daily, so we can commute. My initial thoughts are Fairfield County...but should we look at NY or NJ ? So back to fairfield cty..

Our budget is around 700 - 900K....is this realistic ? I know we can find always find a house for that ...but we really want HOME...where we can grow as a family, engage in th ecommunity, etc......we do need a 3 plus bedroom and would like some prpoerty.

Thanks in advance...please ask other questions...appreciate the LOCAL CT knowledge !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,962,401 times
Fairfield county will be far more attractive then NJ. Taxes on Real estate will be lower then Westchester county NY & NJ.

In the price range you suggest- you will be able to find a most desirable home in Fairfield county, not far the shore, in perhaps one of the most attractive communities in the country. Consider Westport, Ridgefield and New Canaan also.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-13-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 14,129 times
i agree with the previous responder. the taxes in NJ are terrible compared to CT. also consider Fairfield. (this is a 1hr 20 min train ride to midtown NYC) so if you are looking to commute daily, then i'd go more south to the towns mentioned in the previous response.

i've been looking at moving closer to the city myself (im in new haven) and the prices of homes in the Stamford area have fallen significantly in the last 6 months

Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
Hi beefskull - Homes in the nicer towns of northern New Jersey and Westchester County wil be expensive. $700k does not go far in a town with very good schools that is commutable to New York. To me, northern New Jersey is nice but congested and densely populated (I use to live there). Westchester is the same. Don't get me wrong, Fairfield county is crowded too, but not as much as NJ and Westchester. Anyway, I agree with eriqoodle, the Town of Fairfield is very nice. It has excellent schools, shopping and restaurants and there are a lot of beautiful neighborhoods with nice homes in your price range. There are nice parks and beaches there plus there are a lot of family oriented activites. You should be able to get a nice 3 or 4 bedroom colonial on a 1/4 to 1/2 acres lot for your price. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-13-2008, 07:55 PM

107 posts, read 146,320 times
Default New Jersey is not THAT bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Fairfield county will be far more attractive then NJ.
That statement is not necessarily true. What would someone from a very distant Northeastern Connecticut know about the New York City area anyway, let alone New Jersey? What you see from the Turnpike is not at all like 99% of New Jersey. I am sorry to come off insulting, but Northern Bergen County is very nice and so is the Morristown area in Morris County. NJ does tends to be a little cheaper than Connecticut, even in these forementioned prestigious areas; but, In Connecticut you are really paying more for the prestige and honor of telling your Manhattan coworkers you live in Connecticut than having better amenities or a fairer commuting distance. Schools, however, are much better in Connecticut. If you look farther out than Westport or Wilton in Fairfield County, you are sure to get much more for your money. Hope all goes well in your search, and if you choose to live in our Nutmeg State, welcome .

Old 01-13-2008, 07:57 PM

107 posts, read 146,320 times
Jay, having lived there, YOU must surely know they are MANY beautiful suburbs in New Jersey.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,726,398 times
They don't call it "the garden state" for nothing. New Jersey is beautiful considering it has the highest population density of any state.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,846,454 times
New Jersey can be beautiful - just visit Princeton! But those property taxes!!!!! YIKES!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_CT View Post
Jay, having lived there, YOU must surely know they are MANY beautiful suburbs in New Jersey.
Yes there are and they have beautiful home prices as well. Jay

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,458 times
Default We are in the same boat and here what we found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefskull View Post
I have been reading this forum for about a week....some great info and very knowledgable posters ! We are looking to "establish" roots in the in next 6- 8 months and contemplating CT...we have lived in chicago for 15 years.

Again, I am sure this has been ask a hundred times...but here goes our story.

We are looking for a community and overall family lifesyle...clearly we would like a nice home, property, etc. We have a child under 2 and we will probably need to have access to NYC, or the NY area, not daily, so we can commute. My initial thoughts are Fairfield County...but should we look at NY or NJ ? So back to fairfield cty..

Our budget is around 700 - 900K....is this realistic ? I know we can find always find a house for that ...but we really want HOME...where we can grow as a family, engage in th ecommunity, etc......we do need a 3 plus bedroom and would like some prpoerty.

Thanks in advance...please ask other questions...appreciate the LOCAL CT knowledge !!

Hi Jay!
We are also looking for houses in both states - kind like not knowing where to go yet, but here what we found out:
In Jersey - West Windsor / Plainsboro - the school district is very good, you can get a really nice house on 1/2 acre to 1 acre within that price range - mostly newer homes. These houses are most in "gated communities" or "developments" with club houses and pool. Some houses in this price range may have its own pool. Taxes are very high in Jersey. Easy access to shopping. Lower or none sales taxes. A lot of parks, bike trails.

Now in CT - Weston, Wilton, Westport - more quaint towns, better schools, houses in this price range are a little older, some of them in need of renovations, a lot of property in Weston (2 acres), Wilton - you can get anything in betwee 1/2 acre to 2 acres as well. Westport - most houses are in smaller lots 3/4 of an acre or less. When you do find a house in a bigger property usually will not be more than 1 acre. Houses in Westport is more expensive. We found that you can get more for your money in Weston or Wilton. Better commute from Westport or Wilton. Weston is more rural -but absolutetly beautiful. I found that shopping is a hike, though, specially if you live in Weston. There is no stores there. Westport is very pretty - great main street and beaches!!! Property taxes are a little lower than Jersey. Also people that live in that area have higher income. In Jersey people feel a little more grounded - like regular.

Oh well, hope it helps a little. We are still confused where to go. I gues we have to put on paper our priorities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut