Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:39 PM

134 posts, read 176,426 times

Advertisements

I bought my house two years ago in Norwalk and didn't realize that I would be living next door to such a jerk. We have joined driveways; they are separate, but there is no physical barrier between the two. He parks and makes all the noise in the area between the houses. On my side it's my living room. On his side, there are no windows. He makes a TON of noise, either from his F150 that he insists on 'warming up' for 20-30 minutes (at 5:30 am, 11:30 pm, you name it), running power tools outside at 11:30 at night, doing welding on giant trucks in his driveway. If his machines are on, I can't even hear my TV in my livingroom, I've had guests mention it when they are sleeping in bedrooms in the opposite side of my house. Sometimes he brings his work trucks home (construction), backs them into the driveway between the houses and lets them idle for at least a half hour (I think he's eating breakfast).

I've asked him nicely to see if he can do this stuff at other times, as it wakes us up or makes it impossible for us to enjoy a nice evening at home. He blows me off all the time. But today I had it and started yelling at him. He justified his behavior by the fact that I didn't (to his satisfaction) shovel my driveway all winter (which was amazing since I not only did his part the other day, but I spent a morning shoveling with his wife).

I'm ready to move. Because now that I argued with him, he's ramping it up and this afternoon threw something at my house. My son had just come home from work and was alarmed at this guys behavior.

What are the rules about this stuff in Norwalk? Does anyone know? I'm not sure what to do because the guy has a record (not a good one) and his temper is pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Most town have noise regs and "quiet hours". I'll bet you a latte Norwalk has something and 1130PM is way too late for that stuff.
Check your town website for the rules. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Check to see if your town prohibits commercial vehicles from being parked at private homes. But really, it doesn't matter. Get out of there. Life is too short to deal with this crap. And he might snap, and get violent.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Norwalk, CT

Hours for construction. 8pm is the cut off.

City of Norwalk, CT Noise

More city codes.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM

You may want to call the police on the late night BS. Then the guy becomes known to the local cops.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Call Planning and Zoning about the construction trucks, and about him working on "big trucks" in his driveway (if he's operating a vehicle repair shop in his driveway it is probably a zoning violation). If he's changing the oil in his driveway, see if he throws the oil away at the curb, or dumps it into his yard. If he's doing either thing, get in touch with the EPA.

Call the police for the noise.

In other words - if you want to actually DO something about it, you'll unfortunately need to make a HUGE stink. Not just some discrete calls, but active, aggressive, in your face action. If you try to go all polite and passive/aggressive, he'll just get worse. If he knows you mean business and you've brought in the "big guns" to help you, he'll either back off, or get arrested.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Go on Itunes, download the "Master of Reality" album by Black Sabbath, blast it out the window.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 PM

134 posts, read 176,426 times
Raider 111 - That would be great, except I think he likes Sabbath...

To all else: I do have to call the cops. After he threw something at the house I realized he is really unhinged.

The cops already know who he is. He's got a record, which makes me surprised he behaves this way, but I guess some people never learn.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Go on Itunes, download the "Master of Reality" album by Black Sabbath, blast it out the window.
If I was the neighbor, I'd probably try to link my wireless speakers to his wifi connection and we'd have quadrophonic sound for the rest of the album.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonchick View Post
if i was the neighbor, i'd probably try to link my wireless speakers to his wifi connection and we'd have quadrophonic sound for the rest of the album.
smokin' in the boys room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut