Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 AM

617 posts, read 537,896 times

Advertisements

Somehow SAT scores give substantially different picture: Commonwealth Foundation - SAT Scores by State 2014

Still not bad for 5th place among states with high SAT participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 11:28 AM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Somehow SAT scores give substantially different picture: Commonwealth Foundation - SAT Scores by State 2014

Still not bad for 5th place among states with high SAT participation.
Exactly. All the top spots are very little in participation rates. Also, a thing I like about Connecticut education is that they make you critically think, not just teach you to adapt to a exam. SAT score doesn't matter as much as going to college, imo.

And honestly, SAT is a terrible exam to judge anything on. It's its own little, tiny world in the student's academic world.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Exactly. All the top spots are very little in participation rates. Also, a thing I like about Connecticut education is that they make you critically think, not just teach you to adapt to a exam. SAT score doesn't matter as much as going to college, imo.

And honestly, SAT is a terrible exam to judge anything on. It's its own little, tiny world in the student's academic world.
I agree. Taking the SAT is compulsory so not everyone in every state has to take it. In highly educated states like Connecticut, most students are pushed to continue their education beyond high school so you will get all different levels of children taking the exam. In less-educated states you will find only the best and brightest taking the tests so their overall average is skewed higher. It really is not a good way to judge education. Jay

Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM

617 posts, read 537,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Taking the SAT is compulsory so not everyone in every state has to take it. In highly educated states like Connecticut, most students are pushed to continue their education beyond high school so you will get all different levels of children taking the exam. In less-educated states you will find only the best and brightest taking the tests so their overall average is skewed higher. It really is not a good way to judge education. Jay
That's why I said CT was 5th among the states with the highest participation.

Did you mean "not" compulsory?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
We all love lists so here is the 2015 Rankings of the Best School Districts in Connecticut. I thought looking at entire district rather than a specific school would be more interesting.

https://k12.niche.com/rankings/publi...s/connecticut/

Pretty much what everyone expects.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:51 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
We all love lists so here is the 2015 Rankings of the Best School Districts in Connecticut. I thought looking at entire district rather than a specific school would be more interesting.

Milford #83/ 100? Eeeek.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

I don't know if it is what everyone expects. Avon at No. 20 tied with Monroe? That seems off given Avon is Hartford's wealthiest suburb. Glastonbury at No. 5 seems high. Don't get me wrong, we have excellent schools but I am not sure they would be considered in the top 5 in that state. Old Saybrook at No. 17 is a bit of a surprise. I know the schools there are good but not what I would consider in the same class as other top 20 schools. Trumbull rating just above Fairfield seems a little questionable and Guilford at No. 31 seems off to me. Again another list with some questionable ratings but still overall is somewhat reasonable. Jay

Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 AM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
Yeah, agree with Jay. I'm glad they see Newtown so highly, but, I don't think it deserve 10. It should be in the 11-20 category. Weston and Wilton are too low as well. I know it factors in the whole school district, but, I don't think many school districts have an excellent elementary only to have a mediocre high school. Atleast not in these more affluent towns.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 PM

642 posts, read 858,557 times
I am very glad to see these rankings. CT as the #1 state and Trumbull as #23 in CT. I know that the taxes are high here in Fairfield County and my own town of Trumbull but as long as I know the kids are getting a great education but I don't mind paying them seeing these results.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:22 PM

642 posts, read 858,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Milford #83/ 100? Eeeek.
There are 175 school districts according to School Digger in CT so 83 isn't bad.

Best School Districts in Connecticut - CT District Rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut