Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

The purpose of a business is primarily to operate for profit. Seriously....WHY should a stupid pizza place refuse service to a same sex couple? They're in the business of MAKING PIZZA! They're not in the business of promoting religious beliefs to customers. Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The purpose of a business is primarily to operate for profit. Seriously....WHY should a stupid pizza place refuse service to a same sex couple? They're in the business of MAKING PIZZA! They're not in the business of promoting religious beliefs to customers. Give me a break.
You and others continue to not be truthful about what is going on here. The pizza place is not saying, "we arent service gay people". They do not want to CATER a gay wedding, and they should not have to. Its two different things. They should have a right to not cater a gay wedding among other instances. Its not about not serving someone because they are gay.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Maybe you think this way because you are not homophobic.

However, someone who is homophobic might argue that it will scare away 'decent' customers or that his place will degrade into an 'undesirable business'. Or that children might be molested in his bathroom. Or that gay orgies might take place in the parking lot. Or that his teenage son who works at the business will be taught to be gay. Or that they will bring diseases into the place. Or maybe he just gets sick to his stomach seeing two men or two women holding hands. Or a million other strange ideas.

All of that is totally irrational BUT if you did think this way (like unfortunately many people do) then selling them a pizza for 15 bucks would not really be worth it, would it.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
You and others continue to not be truthful about what is going on here. The pizza place is not saying, "we arent service gay people". They do not want to CATER a gay wedding, and they should not have to. Its two different things. They should have a right to not cater a gay wedding among other instances. Its not about not serving someone because they are gay.
You're hanging your hat on that?

Really?

We'll serve gay people in our restaurant, but not at their wedding? That most certainly IS about not serving people because their gay. You can do all the rhetorical surgery you want-- Doesn't make these bigots heroes.

If you cater weddings, you cater them all-- Black, white, straight, gay, etc. If you don't cater weddings, you don't have to cater any.

I've never been to a wedding where pizza was served-- straight or gay! Unless she really is in the catering businesses she should have kept her yap shut, instead of wading in to this issue to prove her "Christian bone fides"

Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
If a business doesn't want to serve a gay wedding, than go to another business. Pretty simple. As i said, tolerance only goes one way with some of you.

According to you and the media, you're only allows to have one view on this. CNN did a whole segment bashing Coach K for refusing to comment. Because to them, you have to come out and bash Indiana or you will feel the wrath of the media and social justice type folks.

I'm for more.freedom for business owners and more protection for their religious views. I guess that makes me evil and if I were a prominent figure in our country, id be getting destroyed by media and the left for daring to say so.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
As i said, tolerance only goes one way with some of you.
A specious comment-- at best.

Tolerance doesn't include tolerating intolerance and bigotry. Sorry.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
If a business doesn't want to serve a gay wedding, than go to another business. Pretty simple. As i said, tolerance only goes one way with some of you.

According to you and the media, you're only allows to have one view on this. CNN did a whole segment bashing Coach K for refusing to comment. Because to them, you have to come out and bash Indiana or you will feel the wrath of the media and social justice type folks.

I'm for more.freedom for business owners and more protection for their religious views. I guess that makes me evil and if I were a prominent figure in our country, id be getting destroyed by media and the left for daring to say so.
What I wonder is how long will it be before they stretch the refusal of catering a gay wedding into refusing to cater other types of weddings. Would they be able to refuse to do weddings for other religions? How can they say they won't do this but will do that? There is a fine line here and I don't like where it gets crossed. Jay

Old 04-01-2015, 12:45 PM

361 posts, read 385,803 times
Mlassoff,

While I tend to disagree with you on a few issues, especially your view on Connecticut gun control............ In this particular instance you are 100% correct.

While we all have our struggles being an Atheist isn't a walk in the park. We have Boy Scout issues too.

Breaking it down to practical terms (I'm a concrete thinker) these laws are just a way to make HATE legal.

Everyone enjoy your day.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Mlassoff,

While I tend to disagree with you on a few issues, especially your view on Connecticut gun control............ In this particular instance you are 100% correct.

While we all have our struggles being an Atheist isn't a walk in the park. We have Boy Scout issues too.

Breaking it down to practical terms (I'm a concrete thinker) these laws are just a way to make HATE legal.

Everyone enjoy your day.
We don't have to agree on every thing! That's what makes the world go round.

I saw an interesting documentary on atheists on CNN last week-- Didn't realize the amount of animosity they faced in many places...

Now back OT...

Hate can and should be legal. Hate is a feeling and people in this country can feel any damned way they please. It's the act of discrimination that is and should be illegal (which is a way to act out hate!). Punish behavior-- not thought.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What I wonder is how long will it be before they stretch the refusal of catering a gay wedding into refusing to cater other types of weddings. Would they be able to refuse to do weddings for other religions? How can they say they won't do this but will do that? There is a fine line here and I don't like where it gets crossed. Jay
Or can an employer decide they modern medicine is against their religion and therefore provide insurance that only covers faith healers and naturopaths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut