Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM

281 posts, read 345,322 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 03:27 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times
IN a free country they can, and the employee can find another employer if they do not like the benefits. Liberals sure hate freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Or can an employer decide they modern medicine is against their religion and therefore provide insurance that only covers faith healers and naturopaths?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:30 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times
Neil Watkins, of course Christians still have to pay for abortions with their tax dollars. conservatives have to pay taxes to support bloated, useless welfare programs. And now, if a gay couple wants to force a Christian/Muslim baker to make a wedding cake celebrating a gay marriage, they have to. But liberals do not force others to do things, right?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:33 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why should you be able to deny service to a gay wedding if you run a public accommodation? (Restaurant) How is this different than refusing service at an inter-racial wedding?

I don't care if you personally like gays or not. I don't care if you find gay sex abhorrent, or icky. I do care that you treat gays equally when you operate a public establishment.

How you "feel" doesn't trump the rights of others.
What if you play the piano part time and don't want to play at a gay wedding

What if you bake cakes and don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding

I would side with the business

Old 04-01-2015, 04:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
A business should not be allowed to refuse catering to a wedding because the couple is gay. That's discrimination and society shouldn't tolerate those business practices. If the business owner has a problem with it, then they should start a different business or not be in business at all.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
A business should not be allowed to refuse catering to a wedding because the couple is gay. That's discrimination and society shouldn't tolerate those business practices. If the business owner has a problem with it, then they should start a different business or not be in business at all.
Why aren't you and Malloy complaining about CT which has its own version of RIFRA?

Should a religious doctor be forced to perform abortions?

Why was RIFRA passed 97 to 3 in 1993?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What I wonder is how long will it be before they stretch the refusal of catering a gay wedding into refusing to cater other types of weddings. Would they be able to refuse to do weddings for other religions? How can they say they won't do this but will do that? There is a fine line here and I don't like where it gets crossed. Jay
On the flip side, how long will it be until churches are under fire for not performing gay weddings? And to your point, marriage, up until recent years, has long been viewed as man and woman. Type of ceremony isnt the question here, its the man/woman aspect. Christians, and even most Americans including the POTUS has forever viewed marriage as one man and one woman. Just because the government decides to change the definition, that should not mean people or small businesses should suddenly have to start providing services for something that has since forever has been against their beliefs.

I can understand, if the law said you can turn anyone away from your business for being gay. But it does not say that, and isn't about that. I think there is a clear difference. And I reject strongly the idea that one is a bigot for not supporting gay marriage and not wanting to provide a service for a gay marriage. Especially because just a few years ago, it was not legal anywhere. Now suddenly, one is an evil bigot because they still dont agree with it?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:36 PM

281 posts, read 345,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Neil Watkins, of course Christians still have to pay for abortions with their tax dollars. conservatives have to pay taxes to support bloated, useless welfare programs. And now, if a gay couple wants to force a Christian/Muslim baker to make a wedding cake celebrating a gay marriage, they have to. But liberals do not force others to do things, right?
"Liberals" don't force things, laws do. Not all laws make sense, but laws against discrimination do.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
For the record, that pizza place, did not just come out and announce on their own their views. ABC picked them out, and of course, made it national when they dared speak honestly. This goes with what I said about Coach K, the media will want to know your view on this, and if you dare not answer or answer how they dont think you should, they will throw you to the wolves.

That pizza place has now received death threats, and even had a gay high school coach call for burning it down. But yeah, Christians and Conservatives are the intolerant ones. People who don't want to cater to gay weddings are the evil ones.....

Indiana High School Teacher Calls For Burning Down Pizza Shop Over Christian Beliefs On Gay Marriage… | Weasel Zippers

But Im happy to see a GoFundMe page set up for the pizzeria. The media and mostly liberals want their destruction, all for beliefs most had just a few years ago, and many many have had for thousands of years due to their religion. Most states did not even acknowledge man/man woman/woman until recent years. And now to hate and call names to those who dare not change now is just ridiculous.
Support Memories Pizza by Lawrence Billy Jones III - GoFundMe

Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
I had a chance to some reading today, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding now is that this new law probably has no effect at all on homosexuals in Indiana due to the single most important point and the giant elephant sitting in the room that not too many people are addressing: Indiana has NO anti-discrimination laws pertaining to gays at all -- they are not a protected class in the State. There is NO state statute a gay person in Indiana could cite to or grounds s/he can sue on for discrimination on the basis of his/her sexual orientation. Meaning that two days ago, before this new law was enacted - gays could not sue a business for discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation -- even if they were discriminated against -- because no such law protecting their orientation exists -- and they still cannot sue today. My understanding is that RFRA laws are there to serve as a defense to someone who is alleged to have violated another law, because the other/underlying law ran counter to their religious beliefs. But in Indiana ... there is no other law! So I fail to see how a religiously devout business owner in Indiana is ever likely to rely on this law in connection with the defense of a sexual orientation discrimination lawsuit brought against him/her, because as it stands now, there will be no lawsuit commenced in the first place. (You can't be sued for violating a law that does not exist)

I think if Malloy wants to be a real rock star on this issue, he would be banning state funded travel to all states that have no anti gay discrimination laws on the books, and not just singling out Indiana for this RFRA law, which really will have no effect on gays in general -- at least not until there are laws enacted protecting them in the first place, and giving them the grounds to sue if their rights are violated. This RFRA doesn't disenfranchise gays in Indiana anymore than they already were. I think peoples' anger is misdirected right now. Be angry at Indiana for not having laws in place protecting gays. Be angry at the other states that don't either. And boycott them all.

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-01-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut