Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Yet another reason why I un-regrettably, unequivocally, proudly voted for MALLOY!!!!

Foley would never have done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There are good reasons that state workers need to travel to other states like for training or regional meetings. Jay
...or meeting with business leaders to promote expansion and bringing jobs into CT. A million totally valid reasons for state funded travel outside of CT - and not just for optional/elective things like conventions and training. Strange to think that so many would think that traveling outside of CT is not regularly required to do vital state business. State funds major universities, police forces, transportation departments, courts, revenue collection agencies, major hospitals, works with investment banks for bonds, procures millions of dollars of services and projects, interfaces with the federal government and other states over a range of issues including taxes, federal funding, trade, etc, etc, etc. This proclamation might backfire though if travel is required to Indiana for example, in a major crime investigation, etc. He could easily end up in a 'damned if you do, damned if you dont' kind of situation with the public.

And for similar very legitimate reasons, I'm sure there is a lot of international travel funded by the state!

Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
I don't like Malloy but good on him….

Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM

713 posts, read 760,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So you think he's a piece of crap then?

I think he's a pretty lousy governor, myself. However, I like what he's done here.

I think nondiscrimination is everyone's business.
That's not his job to worry about another state's business that has nothing to do with CT.

His job is to take care of the CT, last I check there is a big deficit in the state again. Yeah, he's a lousy governor.

I said already, there are a lot of controversial laws out there, why isn't he banning travels to those states?

Yeah, because he's a piece crap and only give a damn about his own agenda, for being the bias pig that he is and take sides on issues that he only cares about, he is a piece of crap. He should have just stayed out of this.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times
Yeah, that Foley probably supports the 1st amendment and the rest of the bill of rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yet another reason why I un-regrettably, unequivocally, proudly voted for MALLOY!!!!

Foley would never have done this.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:23 PM

402 posts, read 686,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Am I the only one who feels there shouldn't be taxpayer-funded travel to ANY state outside of our own?
I think it's just posturing from a totally political governor. Oh wait, they all are.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Yeah, that Foley probably supports the 1st amendment and the rest of the bill of rights.
Laughable.

Your rights end where mine begin. There is no "right" to discriminate. This is the kind of stuff that occurs to me when I consider voting Republican. Can I really vote for a party that thinks their "right" to discriminate against me and other gays and lesbians is some kind of god given edict? Then when called on their desire-- They have the cajones to claim THEY are the true victims of discrimination.

You may or may not support Malloy-- but I have to tell-- supporting this legislation is no different than supporting legislation that allows discrimination against blacks. This isn't about freedom of religion as much as it is about hiding behind religion.

Society is changing and archaic views like these are being left behind. So will a political party that continues to espouse them.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
I think it's just posturing from a totally political governor. Oh wait, they all are.
I'll note your governor saw the more pragmatic side and didn't sign this legislation in Arizona.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Imagine if Republicans controlled the presidency, Senate, House and Supreme Court, and everything at the state and local level.

I would bet that within 10 years from now, we would see the Ten Commandments at all of our public institutions, prayer in public schools, gay marriage federally banned, no abortions allowed even if raped, signs that say "no gays allowed," skyrocketed gun ownership and crime, tens of millions of people working for $3 an hour, all businesses closed on ...Sundays, blacks getting killed by police more often, voting hours only between 4 and 6 pm, unlimited campaign contributions, and numerous mountains, roads and buildings named after Reagan everywhere you look. The EPA would be abolished and pollution would ramp up, rapidly leaving Florida and Long Island underwater. The new flag would be a crucifix with stripes and stars.

As Christopher Hitchens said, "we must not let them have even an INCH" toward gaining power.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Imagine if Republicans controlled the presidency, Senate, House and Supreme Court, and everything at the state and local level.

I would bet that within 10 years from now, we would see the Ten Commandments at all of our public institutions, prayer in public schools, gay marriage federally banned, no abortions allowed even if raped, signs that say "no gays allowed," skyrocketed gun ownership and crime, tens of millions of people working for $3 an hour, all businesses closed on ...Sundays, blacks getting killed by police more often, voting hours only between 4 and 6 pm, unlimited campaign contributions, and numerous mountains, roads and buildings named after Reagan everywhere you look. The EPA would be abolished and pollution would ramp up, rapidly leaving Florida and Long Island underwater. The new flag would be a crucifix with stripes and stars.

As Christopher Hitchens said, "we must not let them have even an INCH" toward gaining power.
Seriously--- focus on the job/city search and leave real subjects alone. I for one would personally love to see a 1,000 more Detroits and Camdens that clearly underscore the successful vision of democrats (sarcasm if you can't tell).

While I don't agree with Indiana's legislation at any level, I'm probably more bothered by the unbridled enthusiasm for a meaningless gesture by our pathetic governor. I'm all for a shameless plug for leadsership on real issues; e.g., public pensions are converted to defined contribution plans or more realistically flat spending for an entire fiscal year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut