Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:48 PM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this?

The CT20x17 Campaign | Make CT a Top 20 Economy by 2017

Seems like a lofty goal to achieve in 2 years, but good to see they're fighting the good fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Has anyone seen this?

Seems like a lofty goal to achieve in 2 years, but good to see they're fighting the good fight.
Who's "They"?

They're a trade group comprised of local COCs that's trying to organize people to put pressure on government to legislate in favor of business' interests. I want Connecticut to be more business friendly too, but, not at the expense of our QOL and social safety net...

There are definitely areas where we can improve. Capitalizing on our roots in biotech, insurance and finance and developing an innovation system around those would be a great start.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM

70 posts, read 105,751 times
Quote:
Has anyone seen this?

I like dreaming too. It makes the day go by faster and easier. Not much is going to change with the strong CT welfare base. Government is not interested in new solutions just in trying to avoid a budget slaughter for their bloated programs. State will be in continued decline for next decade at least.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Who's "They"?

They're a trade group comprised of local COCs that's trying to organize people to put pressure on government to legislate in favor of business' interests. I want Connecticut to be more business friendly too, but, not at the expense of our QOL and social safety net...

There are definitely areas where we can improve. Capitalizing on our roots in biotech, insurance and finance and developing an innovation system around those would be a great start.
Do you think the current administration is hurting CT QOL and safety net with the cuts they are making in this budget and the upcoming budget? I do. When I see cuts to our Veterans aid or elderly or even town parks those are all areas that keeps CT in the top when it comes to QOL. They are cutting some social programs that mean a great deal to a number of people all in the name of saving face.

They plan to cut pheasant hunting which I do. Its a QOL reduction in my book. The state actually doesn't pay for ANY of the funding for this season. The funding comes from an extra tax on permits and licenses that we (hunters) pay into so we don't cost the state more money. They plan on getting rid of that whole season. Little things like that do not show an increase in QOL.

Some of the new laws are the total opposite of what this campaign is for. HB6791 is actually a penalty on businesses that don't pay workers $15/hr (even though min wage is $10.10. its a long bill and includes more). Things like that do not show that CT is open for business.

Here is a link that show all the proposed cuts. Tracking the budget: Following the fate of Malloy’s proposed cuts | The CT Mirror

I'm all for saving a dollar, but you can only cut so much. Let's figure out how to increase revenue (without taxing people and/or businesses).

Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Do you think the current administration is hurting CT QOL and safety net with the cuts they are making in this budget and the upcoming budget? I do. When I see cuts to our Veterans aid or elderly or even town parks those are all areas that keeps CT in the top when it comes to QOL. They are cutting some social programs that mean a great deal to a number of people all in the name of saving face.

They plan to cut pheasant hunting which I do. Its a QOL reduction in my book. The state actually doesn't pay for ANY of the funding for this season. The funding comes from an extra tax on permits and licenses that we (hunters) pay into so we don't cost the state more money. They plan on getting rid of that whole season. Little things like that do not show an increase in QOL.

Some of the new laws are the total opposite of what this campaign is for. HB6791 is actually a penalty on businesses that don't pay workers $15/hr (even though min wage is $10.10. its a long bill and includes more). Things like that do not show that CT is open for business.

Here is a link that show all the proposed cuts. Tracking the budget: Following the fate of Malloy’s proposed cuts | The CT Mirror

I'm all for saving a dollar, but you can only cut so much. Let's figure out how to increase revenue (without taxing people and/or businesses).
I'm no fan of the current administration, and, yes I agree that the cuts proposed will be injurious to QOL. I'm not a hunter, but I don't see any reason to cute pheasant hunting.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:08 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

I didn't read the article, but if what you wrote above is true it's not going to work because CT is only one of 50 states and the third smallest at that. If this was a national policy it might work and it may help end the state vs state competition we are seeing with tax breaks and other relocation deals.

There's no way something like this would become a national policy so CT might as well drop it.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Wouldn't a stronger economy and more business mean a higher QOL and less of a need for a social safety net?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't a stronger economy and more business mean a higher QOL and less of a need for a social safety net?
Or could it mean further division between rich and poor as the poor continue to get exploited for the benefit of the rich?

Ah, yes! The wonders of trickle-down economics!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:47 AM

70 posts, read 105,751 times
Quote:
Or could it mean further division between rich and poor as the poor continue to get exploited for the benefit of the rich?

Ah, yes! The wonders of trickle-down economics!
Many of poor who are receiving benefits do not want to be entrepreneurs or develop wealth. Many are perfectly content doing nothing or the bare minimum while collecting money from the tax money of others. I see this every day. Problem is many of the liberals live in the neighborhoods where they don't see the waste and have delusions that the programs are helping people. America wasn't intended to be a risk free society by our founding fathers. Now it has become a place where you can be rewarded for doing nothing but collect. CT is the capital of this mentality.

Sad thing is the people working and paying into the system are going this see their QOL decline whole the benefit collecting group remains untouched.

A lot of entrepreneurial minded people will move ....imho

Old 04-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
Many of poor who are receiving benefits do not want to be entrepreneurs or develop wealth. Many are perfectly content doing nothing or the bare minimum while collecting money from the tax money of others. I see this every day. Problem is many of the liberals live in the neighborhoods where they don't see the waste and have delusions that the programs are helping people. America wasn't intended to be a risk free society by our founding fathers. Now it has become a place where you can be rewarded for doing nothing but collect. CT is the capital of this mentality.
As an actual entrepreneur, I can agree that many of the poor-- and many of the working-- don't want to be entrepreneurs. It's a high risk path that certainly leads to bust more often than boom.

If living on welfare is so wonderful and enriching, why don't you do it? The fact is most people on welfare are children or elderly. They should be going to school or are too old too work. There are certainly many able-bodied who collect, and that's an abuse. But this idea of "rewarded for doing nothing" is a bastardization of the social safety net and an affront to the many good people who need and deserve assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
Sad thing is the people working and paying into the system are going this see their QOL decline whole the benefit collecting group remains untouched.

A lot of entrepreneurial minded people will move ....imho
This certainly doesn't seem to echo what's actually going on in society where the rich are getting progressively richer and the poor, more and more, stuck in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut