Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 05:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times

Advertisements

Interesting read about the racial makeup of the Danbury school district. No real surprises, though a couple of things stood out to me : (1) the particular demographic found in Danbury is unique within the state; (2) White/Hispanic school population is equal, Asian population is rising, but black is (possibly) declining (this part I found to be unexpected -- I wonder why that is??); and (3) it's the most linguistically and culturally diverse city in CT. You see, I always knew it was unique place to be! -- and a great area if you are OK with being farther from NYC than the other FFC cities are. Danbury schools diverse, but in ways different from rest of state - NewsTimes

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-17-2015 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
A while ago I read something about the 'new' back migration of African Americans. They are basically moving to the South again, and this phenomenon is taking place among African American communities from New England to the Midwest.

I believe it. If we were to focus on NYC, data shows that most people of African or partial African ancestry are not even African Americans but rather immigrants and descendants of immigrants from the Caribbean and Africa. I think they make up near 70% of African descendent people in NYC. Had it not been for foreign immigration, the black population in NYC would had been negligible by this time, because the African American component is steadily declining.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same scenario is present not just in Danbury, but in all of CT with the difference that foreign immigrants of African ancestry are not making up the African American loss.

I also think this has implications for race relations in the area. Foreign people of full or partial African ancestry tend to lack the undercurrent that often times accompanies African Americans, mostly because they never suffered the effects of segregation and the Jim Crow era that African Americans suffered. This makes it easier, I think, for general integration into mainstream US culture. Also, many non-blacks don't have to feel as if they are walking on eggshells when certain topics become the focus of everyone's conversation.

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-17-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:08 PM

That's interesting Antonio. I was (completely) unaware of this new trend. Thanks for educating me!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

I also think this has implications for race relations in the area. Foreign people of full or partial African ancestry tend to lack the undercurrent that often times accompanies African Americans, mostly because they never suffered the effects of segregation and the Jim Crow era that African Americans suffered. This makes it easier, I think, for general integration into mainstream US culture. Also, many non-blacks don't have to feel as if they are walking on eggshells when certain topics become the focus of everyone's conversation.
And this part right here I find most promising -- it actually would be wonderful if it in fact pans out!! One thing that has always irked me personally is, aside from the fact that I am white and have have blonde hair (albeit with the help of my hairstylist these days) and blue eyes -- I am the child of immigrants. I am a first generation American. My family had nothing to do with the travesty that slavery was, that happened 150 + years ago in America. And yet I'm expected to walk on eggshells, do my penance, and suffer white guilt for eternity? Pssht! No Thank You!

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-17-2015 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: