Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times

Advertisements

Okay so I've finally found the place I would like to rent. The first thing I noticed when I initially inspected the place was that there were a few rooms with 2 prong outlets in them and some with 3 prong. I have Electronics training and some Electrical Engineering through school and the 2 prong outlets immediately concerned me. This house was built in 1955.

So I told him that I will not be moving into this place without 3 prong receptacles being added. I'm a little worried that the place isn't grounded properly though and that he'll just throw a 3 prong over the 2 to save money.

Are there any regulations for landlords for things like this? The place is really nice and I'd hate to have to give this up over that!

I can't believe that this guy works for the Fire Department and has a house with 2 prong outlets... blows my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:45 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Having 2 prong outlets does not mean the house is a fire hazard, it just means that the house is not up to current codes for new construction. There are hundreds of thousands of home with these type outlets and they have not burned down. Remember that building codes are always being updated and sometimes go too far IMHO to try and protect people's safety. You can't really protect people from stupidity but the lawyers certainly try.

Upgrading an electrical system is expensive. If the owner refuses to upgrade the wiring, you will have to decide if this is a deal breaker. I don't think I would be worried about it personally. As long as there are some 3 prong outlets, I would be more concerned about fire detectors and carbon monoxide protectors. Jay

Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 AM

I just want the receptacles grounded is all. I have expensive equipment and having no ground on a 3 prong outlet is a violation. That being said, I do know that some older wiring may include metal boxes that are wrapped with ground wire or BX cable with metal sheathing that can be connected. It may not be necessary to completely rewire the place... but I don't think it's unreasonable to want my stuff to be grounded.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
2 Prong outlets are not a fire hazard. Just means the outlet itself is not grounded but rest assure the box is that its attached to whether by BX cable or Romex wire is grounded to the box which is grounded to the earth. The outlet is attached to the box therefore entire thing is grounded.

The only thing is you cant plug a 3 wire device into it but is that really an issue for you? As a landlord I don't rent to folks with little concerns like that right off the bat. I cant imagine how it would be during the lease like if the windows got fogged up or something.

But on the replacing note.. It take 10-20 minutes to change each outlet to 3 prong. Landlord should do it just to get up to speed on latest stuff incase he has to sell or make it look prettier. Each outlet is less than $10. Not a big job to replace at all.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
2 Prong outlets are not a fire hazard. Just means the outlet itself is not grounded but rest assure the box is that its attached to whether by BX cable or Romex wire is grounded to the box which is grounded to the earth. The outlet is attached to the box therefore entire thing is grounded.

The only thing is you cant plug a 3 wire device into it but is that really an issue for you? As a landlord I don't rent to folks with little concerns like that right off the bat. I cant imagine how it would be during the lease like if the windows got fogged up or something.

But on the replacing note.. It take 10-20 minutes to change each outlet to 3 prong. Landlord should do it just to get up to speed on latest stuff incase he has to sell or make it look prettier. Each outlet is less than $10. Not a big job to replace at all.
Well if the box is grounded then he should be able to simply connect a wire from the box to the outlet and be done with it correct?

I mean, I'm not sure what the standards were in the mid 1950's so I'm not sure if that was the case. I know that in the 1920's to 30's knob and tube was the standard, but I'm pretty sure by the 50's there was some sort of grounding going on!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I think you better get your money back on that Electronics class and the Electrical Engineering course if you think that a 2 prong outlet is dangerous. As those above have stated, the box is grounded and when the outlet is screwed into the box, it becomes grounded also.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I think you better get your money back on that Electronics class and the Electrical Engineering course if you think that a 2 prong outlet is dangerous. As those above have stated, the box is grounded and when the outlet is screwed into the box, it becomes grounded also.
I never said that a 2 prong outlet is dangerous. I'm saying that 2 prong is insufficient for my needs. Thanks for the subtle insult though.

A 3 prong outlet over a 2 prong system WITHOUT ground is a problem and if you think it isn't then you need to take some of those classes! The box should be wired to ground so I don't think I'll have a problem, I just wasn't sure if the standards in the 50's involved wiring to equipment ground or not.

The room with the 2 prong receptacles is where I plan to have my office which means 90% of my equipment require a proper ground!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Did you test to see if the box is grounded? If so, just an easy swap from 2 prong to 3 prong. My guess is that everything is grounded and he just didn't replace a couple outlets because the previous tenants didn't care and they had furniture covering the outlets.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Well if the box is grounded then he should be able to simply connect a wire from the box to the outlet and be done with it correct?

I mean, I'm not sure what the standards were in the mid 1950's so I'm not sure if that was the case. I know that in the 1920's to 30's knob and tube was the standard, but I'm pretty sure by the 50's there was some sort of grounding going on!
Yes, 1950s there was ground available but if its the bx (armored) cable then there's no "3rd wire" the BX is secured to the box with a clamp which in turn grounds the outlet since the outlet is secured to the box. That BX goes back to the Panel which is grounded to the earth. So just the outlet would be changed to a 3 prong but still wont have that "3rd wire" on it. It would just be grounded to the box just like the 2 prong was.

But if you asked the landlord to replace them (or at least a couple of them) then wait and see his/her response. If they aren't willing and its that big a deal, move on. Or just live there knowing it IS ok.

And does the landlord know you're having all this equipment being plugged in? I would be concerned as a landlord what you're planning to plug in and how much it will draw.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Did you test to see if the box is grounded? If so, just an easy swap from 2 prong to 3 prong.
I've only done a walk through so far so I haven't done any testing on the outlets. He said that he will be taking care of the outlets. I just want to make sure he doesn't hook up 3 prong with no ground.

I will be testing the outlets afterwards for ground to make sure before I start plugging things in though. I spoke with a friend that has more experience in older homes and he said that there's a very good chance that the boxes are already grounded which is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut