Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 PM

503 posts, read 530,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh please...there's no comparison with these things. Saying that we have confederate flags, rednecks, religious nuts, NASCAR lovers here in CT too, in order to convince me that it's no different than the South is a..........JOKE! Are you kidding me?!.
I said the proportions are different, which is how I acknowledged that those things are more prevalent in the South. I'm just concerned that you may be looking at CT culture through rose-colored glasses, so I'm making the point that there is ugliness in people around here, too. And of course, there are some ugly traits that are more prevalent in CT than the South. Elitism, materialism, and general snobbery to name a few...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Wow, another troll post filled with troll responses but guess I'm going in though.

Raliegh is incredibly nice, but much like Hartford its CBD is a glorified office park sadly. Some of the suburbs of Raleigh are extremely high end but simply do not measure up to Avon or WH. COL is slightly cheaper than in RTP but honestly, not by enough for apples to apples comparisons based on location. NC will nickle and dime you in ways that seem small at the time but add up. Weather? I personally don't mind snow as long as it isn't too much of it at once and should snow actually hit the RTP area everything comes to a complete standstill. Traffic goes a little smoother though.

Both areas are flush with cultural activities: RTP has Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State and Hartford metro has Trinity, UHart, UConn, Central. Those are just the Universities that offer things, both areas have other amenities. Hartford has a much stronger entrenched social culture, with many many generations of people that were raised in the area still there. I always got the feeling the RTP area is just where people wind up, not really live with any sort of deep roots to the region (incredibly a personal anecdote btw). The job market for certain industries is much stronger in Raleigh than Hartford Metro, and insanely bad in others (just look at the DOL metro reports) compared to Hartford. Add in the New Haven Metro and consider that Hartford residents can access the Bridgeport/Stamford Metro and really there's no competition on which region has the higher paying jobs (true story it's here). But Raleigh is certainly better than other "fast growing" southern metro markets for higher wage jobs (Nashville, Charleston, JAX, etc.). RTP is again planned better than other fast growing cities, making it vastly different than the other places I mentioned.

In a lot of ways Raleigh and Hartford have much more in common than different (minus climate). I have always felt the people of the Hartford metro are genuinely nicer and more honest (if I'm acting like a jerk in WH I fully expect someone to come out and say it, and I'd deserve it).

To wit: RTP is slightly cheaper, has a little less to do, more big box, and I really cannot stress this enough a serious lack of good dining options or even decent watering holes.

As for the people bitching about some people's responses to criticisms: it's seriously tiring, and most of the garbage spouted against CT simply isn't true. I think some people on this board would react differently if any criticisms and praise of other places was in the scope of reality.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Elitism, materialism, and general snobbery to name a few...
You know again, I've heard that we're "elitist, materialistic, and snobby" here in CT but I've rarely found it to be true. Let's go with materialistic: credit studies have shown that CT residents at all income levels spend less of their general income on housing, cars, etc. Which means many people here probably COULD afford bigger houses and fancier cars but for the vast majority of people living down lifestyles is just par for the course. In social situations I've rarely heard someone try to brag about what they own (unless it truly is a prized possession), and if they did it would be off putting and an extreme faux pas, and would almost certainly invite derision. If it did happen a good portion of the time those types of people aren't the ones that are doing well, but try to keep that appearance up and most in my area at least see through the ruse.

If you wanna hang out with the super-WASP wannabes then yes that's what you'll find, but if you don't there are the majority of people in CT that just want to laugh about their families, get through a stressful day, and not antagonize anyone.

Is CT culture perfect? Hell no. We have problems with drink, complaining, and over working. We've allowed class structure to solidify geographically (although this is a huge national problem as well, but we should know better). If you look around and all you see is elitism and snobbery, more than likely that's on you and your choices. (This was to people in general, not you specifically Funk)

Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
You know again, I've heard that we're "elitist, materialistic, and snobby" here in CT but I've rarely found it to be true. Let's go with materialistic: credit studies have shown that CT residents at all income levels spend less of their general income on housing, cars, etc. Which means many people here probably COULD afford bigger houses and fancier cars but for the vast majority of people living down lifestyles is just par for the course. In social situations I've rarely heard someone try to brag about what they own (unless it truly is a prized possession), and if they did it would be off putting and an extreme faux pas, and would almost certainly invite derision. If it did happen a good portion of the time those types of people aren't the ones that are doing well, but try to keep that appearance up and most in my area at least see through the ruse.

If you wanna hang out with the super-WASP wannabes then yes that's what you'll find, but if you don't there are the majority of people in CT that just want to laugh about their families, get through a stressful day, and not antagonize anyone.

Is CT culture perfect? Hell no. We have problems with drink, complaining, and over working. We've allowed class structure to solidify geographically (although this is a huge national problem as well, but we should know better). If you look around and all you see is elitism and snobbery, more than likely that's on you and your choices. (This was to people in general, not you specifically Funk)
I agree.

Sure, there are a few towns here and there with noticeable snobbery, but most of the state is just well grounded people with deep roots dating back generations. If you want to experience more widespread elitism, materialism and snobbery, please visit the following places:

Palm Beach County, FL
Orange County, CA
Scottsdale, AZ
Dallas, TX northern suburbs (i.e. Plano, Carrollton, etc.)
Fairfax County, VA
Westchester County, NY

Old 04-23-2015, 06:32 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
If this isn't spin, I don't know what is!!

I'm dizzy just reading this!

Do you ALWAYS have to cherry pick and only post the good things about CT, and the negatives about any other place? And enough about this "charm" garbage….whatever that is supposed to mean.

You make it sound like CT is this wonderful utopia, which it is NOT according to most people. Sure….its a lot better here than in Kansas (and many other states---)I'll give you that, but to imply that its better than just about anywhere else is disingenious and misleading.

As to climate comparison, I bet if we took a poll that 60 to 70% of people would think Raleigh has an OVERALL year round better climate than Hartford.
Why the negative 'tude?

I know that every state has its pluses and minuses, but I'd never, ever fault someone demonstrating a modicum of pride for their home state. Goodness knows, we could use a bit more of that these days.

Being from the South, I think CT is a darned fine state. Sure, it's small, and it's expensive, but it has a lot of great things going for it, especially the politics (for me anyhow...lol.)

I suppose it's silly for me to bother complaining - it's just that when I was a kid, I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say, it's usually better not to say anything at all.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Have you been to Greenville, SC? The job market there is booming and it's beautiful there. The Blue Ridge Mountains are only about 30 min north of the city and they are far more impressive than anything around here. I saw lots of happy gay couples in downtown too. It's definitely worth a visit if you haven't been.

I'm planning to move to Greenville in May, 2017.

Are you serious? In that bastion of right-wing Christiandom?

The economy is good, I'll grant you that. But being an "out and about" gay couple in that town, I dunno.

I've already informed my partner that if the Supreme Court fails to rule in favor of same-sex marriage in June (which would essentially declare open season against gay people in the South), we're putting the house up for sale and moving to Syracuse, New York. He said "okay."

Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Why the negative 'tude?

I know that every state has its pluses and minuses, but I'd never, ever fault someone demonstrating a modicum of pride for their home state. Goodness knows, we could use a bit more of that these days.

Being from the South, I think CT is a darned fine state. Sure, it's small, and it's expensive, but it has a lot of great things going for it, especially the politics (for me anyhow...lol.)

I suppose it's silly for me to bother complaining - it's just that when I was a kid, I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say, it's usually better not to say anything at all.
Yeah I don't understand what all the hostility is about either. People's feelings about any state fall under opinions most of the time anyway.

Them Texans though, they need a reality check lol

Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
I am not overly familiar with Raleigh but spend quite a bit of time in both Chapel Hill and Durham. If you are referring to the larger geographic area often referred to as the Research Triangle, which as you know encompasses all three cities, rather than just the formal RTP, I would suggest you need to explore the dining and bar scene a little more. Durham, in particular, is a foodie mecca with far more diverse and quality dining options than what you are likely to find in Hartford- and I include West Hartford and other suburbs in this statement. Granted I may need to explore Hartford's restaurant scene a little more but I don't think it has received the kind of press and accolades that Durham's dining options has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post

To wit: RTP is slightly cheaper, has a little less to do, more big box, and I really cannot stress this enough a serious lack of good dining options or even decent watering holes.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:28 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Alright I have been very patient with people here but this is it. The rules of this forum do not allow for posters to attack anyone. You can disagree with someone but to outright question what they say and to attack them is against the rules and infractions can be issued.

Because I am the Moderator of this forum, I have let people say things about me that would not be tolerated for someone else. This will end immediately.

If you don't like what I say, then you can choose to ignore it, say you disagree or leave the forum but to say that I am being too pro-Connecticut and questioning my motives is going to be viewed as an attack and calling out a Moderator.

This is the Connecticut forum and of course there are going to be pro-Connecticut posts here. Some people just come here to gripe about the state. Why are they not being questioned or attacked? Are they being objective? They are not.

As I said, this will stop immediately and if it does not, infractions will be issued. I am going to go through the posts on this thread and delete any posts that are considered to be attacks. As required under the rules of this forum, warnings (with zero points) will be issued to notify the poster that their post is being deleted and why. After that infractions with points will be issued. I am sorry if you do not like this, but these are the rules of this forum and it is time that I fully enforce them. JayCT, Moderator

Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Are you serious? In that bastion of right-wing Christiandom?

The economy is good, I'll grant you that. But being an "out and about" gay couple in that town, I dunno.

I've already informed my partner that if the Supreme Court fails to rule in favor of same-sex marriage in June (which would essentially declare open season against gay people in the South), we're putting the house up for sale and moving to Syracuse, New York. He said "okay."
I would be nervous about being openly gay in South Carolina, especially Greenville, which is a conservative metro area. I'm sure it's okay to be gay there, but it's not optimal. CT is more optimal for gay people.

One of the reasons I do not want to leave CT is because of the politics.

There is no such thing as a state with excellent public schools and excellent job creation at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut