Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 AM

642 posts, read 859,012 times

Advertisements

My mom and dad moved to NC for about 5 years in early retirement. They lived about midway between the Outer Banks and Raleigh. We really like the city of Raleigh itself. I would say if you are comparing Raleigh with Hartford alone I like Raleigh better. When you throw in the suburbs I might think the greater Hartford area might have an edge.

Here is the problem with CT. Our cities are not the greatest (poverty, crime, drugs etc.) but the surrounding suburbs are very nice. If I had to pick just a city to live in I would pick Raleigh over Hartford because I always felt very safe in Raleigh. It might be just a perception and wrong but that is my perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
My mom and dad moved to NC for about 5 years in early retirement. They lived about midway between the Outer Banks and Raleigh. We really like the city of Raleigh itself. I would say if you are comparing Raleigh with Hartford alone I like Raleigh better. When you throw in the suburbs I might think the greater Hartford area might have an edge.

Here is the problem with CT. Our cities are not the greatest (poverty, crime, drugs etc.) but the surrounding suburbs are very nice. If I had to pick just a city to live in I would pick Raleigh over Hartford because I always felt very safe in Raleigh. It might be just a perception and wrong but that is my perception.
I definitely agree with you there, as far as the actual city itself. Raleigh is fairly suburban, quiet, clean and safer than Hartford. It's impressive and doesn't look blighted or depressed at all.

I like the Raleigh area, but not sure I could live there with the southern culture/accents. I couldn't handle Charlotte, so....

I even thought Richmond, VA was southern cultured, with accents, churches, etc.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:16 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The southern culture of Raleigh negates anything that may be considered a positive about living there, IMO. I do not find southern accents to be pleasant, but rather tacky. And bubba talk exists.
I can tell you've spent a lot of time in Raleigh.

Quote:
Anywhere in CT is more aesthetically appealing than anywhere in the Raleigh area. Raleigh is bland.
Hartford ain't exactly Paris either, y'know.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:19 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Confederate flags are WAY more prevalent in the South, all over the place, and seen on a daily basis.
Have you actually been to the south, or only seen it on TV? I almost never see Confederate flags in Raleigh.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Have you actually been to the south, or only seen it on TV? I almost never see Confederate flags in Raleigh.
Yes. I have been to the South. A lot. I even stayed in Charlotte for a month. It was definitely southern cultured and too churchy/conservative for me. I saw the confederate flag almost every day. But even with a huge transplant population, the whole area still has a southern feel to it, complete with southern accents, confederate flags, megachurches, etc.

As for Raleigh, I have only been there briefly, one day. I would say I feel more comfortable in Raleigh than Charlotte. It's a little more liberal and slightly less southern, but still definitely southern. I have also been to Richmond, VA, which is southern cultured, too, though not as much as North Carolina.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 PM

304 posts, read 397,104 times
Raleigh has a humid sub tropical climate- with air conditioning needed from Mid to late May through early October- on most days. Winters are milder of course, but by no means are they like those in California, or even the Pacific Northwest, west of the cascades. Thunderstorms are numerous in the summer months once a week on average. Humidity is high throughout the summer, adding to a higher rate of discomfort. compared to Hartford.

Both Hartford & Raleigh in the future will see longer summer heat waves, along with increased precipitation

Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
Cities in the south are southern cultured? Imagine that. How strange. I have spent a fair amount of time in Charlotte and I find it hard to believe that you saw the Confederate flag almost every day. Further, anyone with a passing familiarity with the south would never claim that Richmond, Virginia- the capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War- is less southern cultured than Charlotte, NC!

Quote:
Yes. I have been to the South. A lot. I even stayed in Charlotte for a month. It was definitely southern cultured and too churchy/conservative for me. I saw the confederate flag almost every day. But even with a huge transplant population, the whole area still has a southern feel to it, complete with southern accents, confederate flags, megachurches, etc.

As for Raleigh, I have only been there briefly, one day. I would say I feel more comfortable in Raleigh than Charlotte. It's a little more liberal and slightly less southern, but still definitely southern. I have also been to Richmond, VA, which is southern cultured, too, though not as much as North Carolina.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
I don't get northerners obsession with churches in the South. Church is just as integral to life in the North. If anything, houses of worship are more visible in the North. Is there a corner without a catholic church or synagogue on it in the NE? I'm an atheist so I just enjoy them for their contribution to the built environment... Ugly suburban mega churches are worthless but country and urban churches (mosques and synagogues) are lovely.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Charlotte is WAY more Southern than Richmond, in just about every way.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
In what ways do you feel Charlotte is more southern? I am genuinely curious since it looks like you live in Richmond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Charlotte is WAY more Southern than Richmond, in just about every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut