Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:27 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I'm mostly talking about street traffic in downtown New Haven… It is nothing like 95 through Fairfield County..
Which probably 60-70% is comprised of people from NHC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:32 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
No Stylo, it is NOT exaggerated and I don't appreciate being accused of such….

The reason it takes 30-45 minutes is because police completely stop traffic every light cycle to allow traffic to exit from the garage. This results in traffic back up way far down the road. Sometimes I sit there for 3, 4, 5 light cycles before I can get through one intersection. On top of that you have cross traffic trying to beat the light who end up blocking the intersection, now allowing whatever cars COULD make the intersection through.

If you're going to be rude say I am exaggerating then please don't even give me suggestions.. Thanks.
If it really takes that long, I can't see any reason not to take other routes through downtown.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:36 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If it really takes that long, I can't see any reason not to take other routes through downtown.
Because going the roundabout ways take about the same time, you're just adding more mileage… I have tried them.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
I get on I95N by going over Kimberly Ave bridge and taking the right. I thought the entrance was better before they started changing it. Now with the stoplights in place, theres always a backup there and its honestly confusing with cars over here and there and lines crossing over each other and whos going to which direction. It was just easier to cross the bridge and go straight on to the highway without stopping.

Im sure Ill get used to it once its finally finished though.

I commute from West Haven to North Haven so I switch over to I91N.

Coming back is always rough around the 91/95S interchange. People just drive slow on those two lanes into confusion on the Long Wharf. I still dont know why traffic is always slow there even though theres nothing going on.

I used to get off the highway on Long Wharf, and cut through and get on the other entrance that would take me right to the exit that is closed now. It was quicker than that left turn onto Kimberly Ave and going into WH that way.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
SeaDoo - you're hitting it at the worst time. From about 430-530, there is an officer who closes 1 lane to allow traffic to freely exit the Air Rights garage. Because of the construction (which closes the left lane), this brings the total amount of lanes down to 1 for traffic trying to get through from Ella Grasso to 91/95. The back up is insane during that time period because you have the left 2 lanes merging into the extreme right lane, then you have everyone who moved over to the right lane attempting to move back into what was the center lane, which is the only remaining lane that goes to the on ramp (the extreme right, where traffic is forced to go, is right turn only). Many times, you have a line of cars stuck in the right lane, stopped, with their left signal on waiting to be let back into their original lane, however those who just exited the garage often times never let them in.

Anyway, it is a freakin' mess and whoever decided to phase the project like this should be demoted or fired.

I went out to the shoreline Friday and hit downtown NH at about 5 - poor planning on my part. It took me about 30-40 minutes to go from Ella Grasso to the 95N merge. The vast majority of the traffic was from Dwight to the on ramp. About a mile.

Last edited by JayCT; 04-26-2015 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:14 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
I'm talking about what they're doing in downtown NH…. don't you realize it will take everyone who commutes 34 through downtown and make them take 95 instead? You can add all those cars onto 95…which means not eliminating anything.

Also you can't tell me there isn't any Yale special interest involved….
Why would Yale push for a project that removes a highway that leads right to its front door? That makes no sense. As I said the project has little to no involvement by Yale. Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut