Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 AM

287 posts, read 623,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
From my personal experience 3% - 5% sounds about right. Most of my graduating class went to Southern, Eastern, Yale, and of course UConn. Some went to Florida, some went to Mass, some California, some DC. After college only a handful of people I know moved down to Manhattan and probably would not have done so if there wasn't significant parental bankrolling. Now, many of the people I went to school with are back from college and are moving en masse to Bridgeport, Norwalk, New Haven, Stamford.
What area of CT are you from and about how long ago was this? While most people, it seems, go to college elsewhere, a very very large portion end up in New York after graduation, well above 3-5%. Surprised people would think the contrary, but it could be that further up into CT, this migration diminishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
What's the mystery? Some people will move, some will love it here and some will hate it here, some like the weather and some can't stand it. Why south? Again, no mystery, it's warmer and many making the exodus are elderly or retired tired of dealing with snow and ice and moving to states that are cheaper to live in on fixed income. As far as retaining residents, why? Isn't an economy or diversity of an area better when it's dynamic? Does Connecticut have problems? Of course, but doesn't FL, NC, and TX have problems?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well there you have it folks. This thread has invited quite a few posters who have shared their testimony that they indeed left CT and do not wish to return. My 90% figure seems quite accurate.

Therefore, I will now proceed to expand my job search to places outside of CT, instead of just New Haven and Hartford.
I don't see the 90%. It seems that many people have returned and don't plan to leave.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:38 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
What area of CT are you from and about how long ago was this? While most people, it seems, go to college elsewhere, a very very large portion end up in New York after graduation, well above 3-5%. Surprised people would think the contrary, but it could be that further up into CT, this migration diminishes.
I agree with this generally - especially for the first few years out of college. I know far from scientific, but a quick snapshot of the 20-something year old children of some people I work with (it does disprove the NYC theory though, but highlights the fact that many do leave): six young adults, 2 of which were Greenwich HS grads, and the other 4 Darien HS: two now live and work in San Francisco, One lives/works in Boston, one lives/works in Orlando, one lives/works in Manhattan, and one lives/works in Norwalk. So out of the 6, one stayed. It would be interesting to see if any come back with families in 5-10 years.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Most of my graduating class stayed in Connecticut, or went to college and returned to Connecticut after college. Heck, most of my neighbors growing up, I see at work a few times every year when they come in to buy printer ink

Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wrong. ALL of them are blue:

President Map - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com
NEP, you are clearly mistaken about New Hampshire. It is an independent state and swings with whatever party or candidate supports their core beliefs of freedom and limited government. If the liberal tax policy of Connecticut were to be recommended in New Hampshire you would most likely see every elected official that supported it immediately voted out of office. Similarly, any conservative candidate that oversteps their reach and intrudes on personal freedoms, especially traditional constitutional ones, would receive the same treatment. The voters are well informed and actively involved in their civic responsibilities. It is a unique state and only truly understood and loved by those who choose to live there or spend a considerable amount of time there. If Connecticut had a similarly engaged electorate we would not be moaning about the current state of our affairs.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
From my personal experience 3% - 5% sounds about right. Most of my graduating class went to Southern, Eastern, Yale, and of course UConn. Some went to Florida, some went to Mass, some California, some DC. After college only a handful of people I know moved down to Manhattan and probably would not have done so if there wasn't significant parental bankrolling. Now, many of the people I went to school with are back from college and are moving en masse to Bridgeport, Norwalk, New Haven, Stamford.

yup, a lot move back to their home towns. Some will leave though and go to bigger cities after a few years. In seems like a lot of the "townies" are the ones that will stick to their hometown and never leave.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
I'm from Fairfield, and know/knew a lot of people from Greenwich to Hartford and beyond. I happened to have graduated a bit ago but from what people that came after me was that if outgoing high schoolers weren't looking at UConn/CSUs/Yale/Trinity/Fairfield/SHU/Community Colleges they were looking to go much farther away than NYC (generally to spread their wings as it were), which was about what I saw as well. Some of my friends moved to Manhattan or BK after college, but are hating it as they have to pay their own way; and most I talk to now are looking either to come back to the home areas or go out abroad.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
yup, a lot move back to their home towns. Some will leave though and go to bigger cities after a few years. In seems like a lot of the "townies" are the ones that will stick to their hometown and never leave.
I'm kind of a "townie" but I was working, building professional relationships, made a lot of new friends, and paying my way through university. Townie just has such an awful insulting connotation.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:26 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
It may possibly diminish with respect to migrating to NY, but in the other end of the state Boston probably takes the role that NY has on the eastern half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut