U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 PM

42 posts, read 29,689 times

Advertisements

FF --- office is 10 blocks south of GCT. Would do it max 5 x week, min of 3x. Would be fun to explore surrounding towns on the weekend if not bumper to bumper traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,134,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 133 View Post
FF --- office is 10 blocks south of GCT. Would do it max 5 x week, min of 3x. Would be fun to explore surrounding towns on the weekend if not bumper to bumper traffic.
Don't listen to that guy. Traffic is only an issue during commuting rush hours. There is no bumper to bumper visiting a surrounding town on the weekend. I go Exit 19 to Exit 16 nearly every Sunday, 10 minutes door to door.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:36 PM

5,540 posts, read 4,767,256 times
I left CT ten years ago. While I will always consider it "home" and love the countryside in CT I will never move back. Yes, there are things I miss but the high COL, super liberal politics and materialistic attitude you can keep. Same goes for the winters that start too early and never seem to end.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:02 PM

2,914 posts, read 3,049,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, whereabouts would you be living and working? It depends. If you're talking about living in Brookfield and commuting to Danbury, I would say go for it. But if you're talking about living in Fairfield and working in Stamford, just be prepared for some of the country's WORST TRAFFIC EVER!
Only if you punch the clock Off commuting hours, traffic is pretty rare on the Merritt or even 95 outside of Norwalk.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 PM

11,105 posts, read 13,786,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I left CT ten years ago. While I will always consider it "home" and love the countryside in CT I will never move back. Yes, there are things I miss but the high COL, super liberal politics and materialistic attitude you can keep. Same goes for the winters that start too early and never seem to end.
I would never want to live in Texas with it's ultra conservative politics. Also, to my knowledge, the Dallas area is one of the most materialistic places in the country, especially in the suburbs (i.e. Plano, etc.). The Dallas area is also ugly compared to the beautiful scenery of CT.

Last edited by nep321; 04-27-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 02:59 PM

16,175 posts, read 22,601,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Only if you punch the clock Off commuting hours, traffic is pretty rare on the Merritt or even 95 outside of Norwalk.
Regarding 95, your statement is just not true.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM

77 posts, read 55,391 times
Having lived in CT for most of my life at this point, I can't say that I'll miss it much once I'm gone. The roads are awful, the politicians are even worse (our senators may have changed, but they're STILL trying to pin mass shootings on video games...), and there's just not that much opportunity here.

Beautiful landscape, though. I mean, it's no Colorado or Wyoming, but what is?

Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like 90% of people who move out of CT are glad they left and have no desire or intent to return? Almost everyone I know that moved out say it was "the best thing they ever did."
Sometimes it seems like 90% of the people I know who still leave here want to move out and never return.

Quote:
The general sentiment of residents in this state is very negative and pessimistic, more than any other state in the nation, from what I've seen. Even worse than Michigan.
Well, CT does have the nation's worst roads and among the worst economies so it's not surprising... It's not a great state if you're young and looking for work nor is it a great state to retire in (iirc, it's ranked near the bottom for that).

These things aren't likely to change any time soon, either. CT keeps voting terrible people into office.

Quote:
I would never want to live in Texas with it's ultra conservative politics.
Now you know how a lot of us feel about CT's ultra liberal politics =p Of course, the difference there is that CT's politics have run the state into the ground while Texas's are merely unpopular

Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM

503 posts, read 371,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
Sometimes it seems like 90% of the people I know who still leave here want to move out and never return.

Well, CT does have the nation's worst roads and among the worst economies so it's not surprising... It's not a great state if you're young and looking for work nor is it a great state to retire in (iirc, it's ranked near the bottom for that).
It's a great state for kids though. As a kid, you're likely to get a great education here in the public schools, winters don't bother you and the snow is alot of fun. I will always appreciate having lived that stage of my life in Connecticut.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM

691 posts, read 930,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
+1. West Hartford is one of the best overall places to live in the state. Depending on your priorities, it might be THE best.
Strongly disagree.

WH is EXTREMELY overrated.

1) Congestion
It's section of I-84 is the most congested of any in the state outside of FFC. Terrible design and very dangerous at all hours of the day. The arterials (Farmington Ave, Rt 44, etc) are clogged as well
2) Housing stock
Ancient garbage at a premium price. The epitome of 'postage stamp lots'. Please dont counter that these outdated homes feature 'charm' I'll take a 1990+ energy efficient build on a decent sized lot east of the river (at 2/3-3/4 of the price) any day of the week.
3) Pretentiousness
WH is THE snobbiest town in the state outside of lower-FFC. Residents think theyre living somewhere special because of Blueback Square (give me a break...its a glorified strip-mall), 'the center' (yeah some decent restaurants, but nothing that cant be found elsewhere), and these supposed 'great schools' (which arent even in the top 20 in the state if you look at the numbers). Oh, and have you seen those vomit-inducing "WeHa" bumper stickers they're sporting lately? Disgusting.

Trader Joe's, please build a location outside of this dump of a town so I never need to set foot in it again. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:40 PM

77 posts, read 55,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
It's a great state for kids though. As a kid, you're likely to get a great education here in the public schools, winters don't bother you and the snow is alot of fun. I will always appreciate having lived that stage of my life in Connecticut.
I'm honestly not sure how good CT's education is. I was only here from 8th grade on. However, in one of my study halls during my senior year, there was a girl whose grasp of history was so bad that she didn't even know who Stalin and Mussolini were.

And the winters bugged me as a kid, especially because prior to CT I had lived maybe 7 or 10 years down in Florida so I *really* wasn't prepared for the temperature shift (and had bloody raw chapped lips that first year). Plus, while snow days were cool, my parents always made me help shovel growing up =x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or