U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 AM

11,105 posts, read 13,786,543 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or does it seem like 90% of people who move out of CT are glad they left and have no desire or intent to return? Almost everyone I know that moved out say it was "the best thing they ever did."

Also, on Facebook, if you look at the comments to many posts made by news pages (e.g. FoxCT, WFSB, WTNH, etc.), literally 95% of the comments are attacking CT and Malloy, and full of people saying that they're so glad they left and that CT was a horrible place to live. When asked about which state is better to live in, the replies are almost always along the lines of "the South," or "Florida" or "North Carolina" or "Texas."

The general sentiment of residents in this state is very negative and pessimistic, more than any other state in the nation, from what I've seen. Even worse than Michigan.

So, I was wondering if there are statistics out there regarding how people feel about having left CT. Because, to be honest, it seems like the vast majority (90% or more) are happy they did so and have no plans to return. And the default "better" place almost always seems to be either Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina or Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:56 AM

15,099 posts, read 18,600,821 times
News outlet commenters tend to be super negative like it's a mission. Hardly a scientific observation.

I know a lot of younger people that moved out for a few years, were glad they did to have a new experience somewhere else, and most eventually came home and were glad to. Nothing wrong with exploring. It's not something exclusive to CT residents.

Most people I know went to California, NYC, Boston, Colorado in their 20's. I know very few people that went south.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM

750 posts, read 1,827,574 times
I moved away from CT, learned a lot from living in other places (CA, OH, IL, MA), and still consider CT one of the best places in the US to raise a family. I would consider moving back if it fit my circumstances. The northeast and mid-Atlantic regions are challenging because of the high cost of living. In my own experience, CT and MA have a large amount of bureaucracy required to meet state and local requirements, but you get a lot in return. The state and local governments are much more responsible and effective compared to some other locations (eg, CA and IL).

Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,513,379 times
..I'll comment on page 23

Last edited by Mr_250; 04-27-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
News outlet commenters tend to be super negative like it's a mission. Hardly a scientific observation.

I know a lot of younger people that moved out for a few years, were glad they did to have a new experience somewhere else, and most eventually came home and were glad to. Nothing wrong with exploring. It's not something exclusive to CT residents.

Most people I know went to California, NYC, Boston, Colorado in their 20's. I know very few people that went south.
Yeah but it seems like the only people who ever come back to CT are those who are straight people who are ready to have a family. I have never seen a young LGBT person (<35) return to CT out of desire.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:19 AM

8,950 posts, read 10,023,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah but it seems like the only people who ever come back to CT are those who are straight people who are ready to have a family. I have never seen a young LGBT person (<35) return to CT out of desire.
At least 90% of people identify as "straight", so, I'm not sure how you can disqualify them.

As far as gay people go, I did. At 34 I returned to CT after 15 years in Austin because I wanted to.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:19 AM

15,099 posts, read 18,600,821 times
Quote:
I am friends with a young LGBT person that grew up in North Carolina and moved here by choice. How's that?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
At least 90% of people identify as "straight", so, I'm not sure how you can disqualify them.

As far as gay people go, I did. At 34 I returned to CT after 15 years in Austin because I wanted to.
Yeah but maybe you are just an anomaly.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 AM

13,258 posts, read 35,586,253 times
Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like 90% of people who move out of CT are glad they left and have no desire or intent to return? Almost everyone I know that moved out say it was "the best thing they ever did."

Also, on Facebook, if you look at the comments to many posts made by news pages (e.g. FoxCT, WFSB, WTNH, etc.), literally 95% of the comments are attacking CT and Malloy, and full of people saying that they're so glad they left and that CT was a horrible place to live. When asked about which state is better to live in, the replies are almost always along the lines of "the South," or "Florida" or "North Carolina" or "Texas."

The general sentiment of residents in this state is very negative and pessimistic, more than any other state in the nation, from what I've seen. Even worse than Michigan.

So, I was wondering if there are statistics out there regarding how people feel about having left CT. Because, to be honest, it seems like the vast majority (90% or more) are happy they did so and have no plans to return. And the default "better" place almost always seems to be either Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina or Texas.
I'd like to see the pie chart and actual resources for your statistics.

For instance:

Have you interviewed 90% of people who moved out of CT? If not, can you please cite your sample demographic?

And that 95% of comments - you do understand that those news pages are generated based on your personal web browsing patterns. So if you spend 95% of your time reading articles about how much Connecticut sucks, you will get news articles that support your opinion, and very few articles that contradict it. If you can demonstrate that this isn't true, please support your fact with sources.

That 90% or more of the vast majority of people who have been happy they left Connecticut - have you interviewed them to find out WHY they left? You specify "the South," "Florida," "North Carolina," and "Texas" as the destinations. What do these states have in common, that make them different from Connecticut?

Here's a blaringly obvious difference: the climate. ALL of those places are demonstrably warmer than Connecticut, for most of the year. In ALL of those places, the cold season is significantly shorter, AND less extreme, than it is in Connecticut.

That says to me that people are moving to warmer places because Connecticut just gets too cold for them. Retirees typically move south, when they move at all, because of that very reason.

So what do you think Connecticut can do to retain all these people who are tired of Connecticut winters? Oh maybe we can build a geothermal dome over the state and create an artificial springtime all year round.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 AM

2,746 posts, read 2,123,903 times
Thank you bringing this up. I actually thought about posting this. The one thing i find interesting about looking at those Facebook article comments is that most people complain because others complain. I'm a follower of a Portland, Oregon newspaper on Facebook and the same thing happens. People complain, complain, and complain about everything. Even when Oregon is one of the most moved in states in the country. I also find some very ignorant comments on other social media sites as well. Blaming Malloy on the busway when the idea was created 2 administration ago and even blaming Malloy on the ballpark when the state isnt even involved. So much ignorance on their part. The shocking thing is that those negative comments get ALOT more likes than positive ones. Most of the time the people who say "im leaving this state", arent even leaving. They just want to join the rage. People even say they'll leave the state when the ballpark idea didn't go their way. "Hartford never listens to what i have to say, so i'm leaving this state"....Really?. I try and do what i do here and stay on the positive note but yet people still hate. It doesn't work at all because people are so glued to the media and they believe them on everything. Less and less people are willing to find information themselves so they rely on the media to tell them everything. Plus many networks are very left sided.

To reply on the other half of your comment, id like to say that most of the people who do leave the state are retirees. If you have a good paying job here its very unlikely you'll move because of COL. Very few people do. I think family is what keeps most people from moving. Probably the only thing that keeps us afloat in population is the increase of Latino population. Many of those people move here from Puerto Rico because Puerto Rico is falling apart right now. Connecticut is very friendly to immigrants. Just 5 years ago my neighborhood was full of middle aged white couples with older kids. Then most of them moved and a good portion of the sold house were bought by Latino immigrants from Puerto Rico. With that happening, i see the demographics have been changing alot over the past 10 years. Alot of the young people move out of the state as well. I think this has to do with school because many of them find opportunities out of state and stay there. On the other hand, some move back here to live with their parents because its expensive for young people to own their own place. Not just in Connecticut but other states as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or