Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
We've looked quite a bit in North Stamford, so far no homes that meet our criteria for age/style/size/price.

Can you tell me where the bad areas are in Norwalk? I've asked that multiple times on this thread, no one has answered that question yet...
Ok, I have some more time now.
Nice to see all the Fairfield koolaid drinkers show up on cue, so I'll give the Norwalk perspective since you asked. I live in Fairfield and can tell you there is virtually no difference in day to day living between the two.
Fairfield is not necessarily a nicer Norwalk but a whiter one. A great town just the same.
IMO, Norwalk is one the best cities in the state in terms of location, safety (minimally diff than Stamford), great mix of people, housing, shopping, restaurants, neighborhoods, scenic coastline, not too big, not too small, and the prices reflect all of that. The worst area in South Norwalk is small and completely avoidable and irrelevant to the rest of town, as you would have no need to ever go there or pass through, and you would never even know it was there.
In terms of resale, it, along with Shelton, has the highest percentage of bindered homes for sale on the market in Faifield County. Well above the county and Fairfield town averages.
The zip codes I mentioned are the east side and more desirable part and includes Cranbury, Wolfpit, Strawberry Hill, and 06855 East Norwalk below I95 to the waterfront. Well kept updated homes here will sell in a month or less,some with multiple bids, and close to asking price.
The central part is more congested, commercial, urban, middle/working class. Not the prettiest, some typical urban petty crime but not dangerous either.
Rowayton is expensive eye candy. Pretty as hell, but I think the interior parts are overpriced though some homes there may sell fast as well.
West Norwalk and Silvermine, bordering Darien and NC are also very nice wooded sections.
You should also consider Greenwich and Stamford for easier access to NYC job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:06 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I live in Fairfield and can tell you there is virtually no difference in day to day living between the two.
That's surprising to hear. The towns have very different feels. Just like neither are like Ridgefield or Wilton.

Also, why's it gotta be a race thing? The economics are simply different.

Fairfield gets recommended often because it's an exceptionally well rounded town. Simple enough.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's surprising to hear. The towns have very different feels. Just like neither are like Ridgefield or Wilton.

Also, why's it gotta be a race thing? The economics are simply different.

Fairfield gets recommended often because it's an exceptionally well rounded town. Simple enough.
What do you mean by different feels?
I've lived in both, a mere 7 miles apart from each other (near Westport border on one side to the Westport border on the other) Same trees, same weather, same overall feel. I've also lived in New Haven, Bridgeport, and Newtown. Those three felt different. Yes, it's a great well rounded town and the other is great well rounded small city.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 AM

258 posts, read 666,835 times
Quote:
Ok, I have some more time now.
Nice to see all the Fairfield koolaid drinkers show up on cue, so I'll give the Norwalk perspective since you asked. I live in Fairfield and can tell you there is virtually no difference in day to day living between the two.
Fairfield is not necessarily a nicer Norwalk but a whiter one. A great town just the same.
IMO, Norwalk is one the best cities in the state in terms of location, safety (minimally diff than Stamford), great mix of people, housing, shopping, restaurants, neighborhoods, scenic coastline, not too big, not too small, and the prices reflect all of that. The worst area in South Norwalk is small and completely avoidable and irrelevant to the rest of town, as you would have no need to ever go there or pass through, and you would never even know it was there.
In terms of resale, it, along with Shelton, has the highest percentage of bindered homes for sale on the market in Faifield County. Well above the county and Fairfield town averages.
The zip codes I mentioned are the east side and more desirable part and includes Cranbury, Wolfpit, Strawberry Hill, and 06855 East Norwalk below I95 to the waterfront. Well kept updated homes here will sell in a month or less,some with multiple bids, and close to asking price.
The central part is more congested, commercial, urban, middle/working class. Not the prettiest, some typical urban petty crime but not dangerous either.
Rowayton is expensive eye candy. Pretty as hell, but I think the interior parts are overpriced though some homes there may sell fast as well.
West Norwalk and Silvermine, bordering Darien and NC are also very nice wooded sections.
You should also consider Greenwich and Stamford for easier access to NYC job.
Thank you so much for this.

I just spoke to a friend who used to live in CT, her feeling was that most of Norwalk was 'gritty' and that there were only a few nice areas. That could be a problem down the road for resale.

The house we're looking at just had a significant price drop and has also been on market for over 6 months, and is in Cranbury. Appears to be great, I wonder what the issue is...?

Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 AM

1,069 posts, read 745,527 times
As others have suggested cruise around a neighborhood that you're interested in at different times during the day and evening. As my FTO told me many years ago "If you see adult men loitering around during the day drinking and smoking weed when the rest of the neighborhood is probably working, that's never a good sign.". Do the properties in your perspective neighborhood look well kept and maintained? Are their abandoned cars and blighted properties? Are there bars on windows in houses? Are kids out playing and riding their bicycles? Are adults out and about in the morning and evening running and walking? Are there local businesses and other signs of commerce? Don't be shy. Park your car and take a stroll through the neighborhood. If you meet someone, say hello and inform them that you're interesting in moving to there neighborhood and ask if they like living there. The worse that can happen is that they'll ignore you but in all likelihood they will give you an honest assessment of the neighborhood. Lastly don't hesitate to ask the Norwalk Police about a neighborhood that you're interested in. Call the non-emergency number and inform the police officer who answers that you are interested in purchasing or renting a home at a particular address. Ask them for their honest assessment of the neighborhood and would they live there. If a police officer informs you that he or she wouldn't live there then perhaps it's not a good idea to move there. Here is a link to the Norwalk Police Department's web site. Unfortunately you cannot query crime stats based within a certain number of square miles of a particular address but this will give you an indication of what types of crimes are being reported in Norwalk. Norwalk, CT

Good luck with your relocation.

Irish

Last edited by irishcopper; 04-30-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
As others have suggested cruise around a neighborhood that you're interested in at different times during the day and evening. As my FTO told me many years ago "If you see adult men loitering around during the day drinking and smoking weed when the rest of the neighborhood is probably working, that's never a good sign.". Do the properties in your perspective neighborhood look well kept and maintained? Are their abandoned cars and blighted properties? Are there bars on windows in houses? Are kids out playing and riding their bicycles? Are adults out and about in the morning and evening running and walking? Are there local businesses and other signs of commerce? Don't be shy. Park your car and take a stroll through the neighborhood. If you meet someone, say hello and tell that you're interesting in moving there and ask if they like living there. The worse that can happen is that they can ignore you but in all likelihood they will give you an honest assessment of the neighborhood. Lastly don't hesitate to ask the Norwalk Police about a neighborhood that you're interested in. If a police officer informs you that he or she would live there then perhaps it's not a good idea to move there. Here is a link to the Norwalk Police Department's web site. Unfortunately you cannot query crime stats based within a certain number of square miles of a particular address but this will give you an indication of what types of crimes are being reported in Norwalk. Norwalk, CT

Good luck with your relocation.

Irish
Thanks, good points. I guess just use common sense in evaluating.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 AM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
One thing you should know is that Connecticut very compartmentalized. Rowayton is a cut above the rest of Norwalk, SoNo has a very different feel from other parts, and EaNo (East Norwalk) gives off a more residential feel. Several big corporations have something bustling in Norwalk including GE, so, it certainly can't be that bad. When we mean gritty, we don't mean Detroit. We just mean that it looks a bit run down, crime may or may not be at an increase here. And when we say increase, we mean an increase from a nationally low average. Everything is relative.

If you buy a house in a place like Rowayton, I don't think prices will plunder just because of Norwalk. Many people see it as it is: Rowayton. Rowayton has its own train station and water front properties. It'll always stay at a premium unless a hurricane of the century sweeps it.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
Thank you so much for this.

I just spoke to a friend who used to live in CT, her feeling was that most of Norwalk was 'gritty' and that there were only a few nice areas. That could be a problem down the road for resale.

The house we're looking at just had a significant price drop and has also been on market for over 6 months, and is in Cranbury. Appears to be great, I wonder what the issue is...?
Where did your friend live? his/her assessment is the opposite, most is nice, some is gritty (as I mentioned those areas as the central and S. Norwalk areas). I speak from experience of living there most of life. Jays map clearly shows the worst areas as #6 and 17 which are very small.
Did you miss the part I said where it had the higher %s of contracted homes for sale in Fairfield county. I said E. Norwalk well updated and kept homes will sell faster, particularly near the water. Antique Tudors in Cranbury (Bayne St) might take some time.
You may not like it anyway, but a simple drive around ENo, Silvermine, Cranbury, Rowayton neighborhoods will prove your friends feelings are not exactly accurate.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:48 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
What do you mean by different feels?
I've lived in both, a mere 7 miles apart from each other (near Westport border on one side to the Westport border on the other) Same trees, same weather, same overall feel. I've also lived in New Haven, Bridgeport, and Newtown. Those three felt different. Yes, it's a great well rounded town and the other is great well rounded small city.
Fairfield does not have 10 story buildings like Norwalk has. It does not have public housing projects nor does it have dense neighborhoods of multi-family housing like Norwalk. Fairfield has 59,000 people in 30 square miles while Norwalk has 85,000 in 23 square miles. Fairfield has a median household income of almost $120,000, Norwalk is just under $76,000. That said, many neighborhoods in Norwalk look and feel just like some neighborhoods in Fairfield, but overall they are very different. Since the OP is not concerned with schools and wants to be closer to Manhattan, Norwalk would be an excellent choice. Jay

Old 04-30-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Where did your friend live? his/her assessment is the opposite, most is nice, some is gritty (as I mentioned those areas as the central and S. Norwalk areas). I speak from experience of living there most of life. Jays map clearly shows the worst areas as #6 and 17 which are very small.
Did you miss the part I said where it had the higher %s of contracted homes for sale in Fairfield county. I said E. Norwalk well updated and kept homes will sell faster, particularly near the water. Antique Tudors in Cranbury (Bayne St) might take some time.
You may not like it anyway, but a simple drive around ENo, Silvermine, Cranbury, Rowayton neighborhoods will prove your friends feelings are not exactly accurate.
I don't know where she lived but she spent a lot of time there in her 20s. She went to aquarium recently, took a drive around because when she left there she thought it seemed to be 'up and coming'... was disappointed with what she found. Said things looked run down, sad. I don't know if she went as far as residential areas or not, I think she was referring more to downtown though.

No, I read your comment (and appreciated it!). I just am concerned about buying in an area where there is an obvious overall sentiment that it is kind of 'iffy', at least in some areas, in terms of desirability. Just don't want to get saddled with a house that would be difficult to sell later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut