Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:04 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times

Advertisements

I'm under contract for a condo located in a complex which is not yet complete.

Went through the entire process ad-nauseum (inspection, appraisal, credit rescoring, etc etc etc) only to ultimately have my loan declined a week prior to closing because the complex is <90% complete. Believe it or not, the seller's realtor made my realtor aware of this several weeks ago...we checked with the lender who assured us this was a non-issue, only to ultimately get declined because of it!

My agent is going back to the seller to request an extension...but they were rather adamant about closing on this particular date. Any opinions/advice out there would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Keep shopping lenders- you should be able to find someone who finds 70% completion acceptable. Do you have a financing clause in your sales contract ? One that will let you off the hook without losing your deposit if you can't get a mortgage

Old 05-02-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Keep shopping lenders- you should be able to find someone who finds 70% completion acceptable. Do you have a financing clause in your sales contract ? One that will let you off the hook without losing your deposit if you can't get a mortgage
Are you referring to the mortgage contingency? If so--yes, it goes until next week. If not, excuse my ignorance (first-time buyer).

Old 05-02-2015, 10:33 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Yes, that is what I meant

Old 05-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Thank you.

Would the lender face any liability here? My realtor and I asked them SPECIFICALLY whether or not the <90% completion would be an issue several weeks ago (we have everything documented). Supposedly they asked a 'junior underwriter' instead of taking it to someone who actually knew what they were talking about, thereby royally screwing me.

They made me do several rescores (spent nearly $800 in total), go through an appraisal, etc....when a simple 'sorry we cant finance something less than 90% complete' eliminated the possibility of a loan through them. Unbelievable.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Thumbs up Good luck

I hope it all works out for you. Moving is stressful enough (I know since I am desperate to move). Close to 90% should be good for a sale.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:22 AM

23 posts, read 44,427 times
I believe Connecticut law allows you 30 days to close from the contracted close date if you have a reasonable cause. Your realtor should know that. If you have an attorney, bring that up to them as well.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:12 AM

That would be perfect...but I don't believe this is the case.

Neither my realtor nor lender have brought this up, nor did a google search yield any information about this.

Would any realtors on the board be able to chime in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieSteve View Post
I believe Connecticut law allows you 30 days to close from the contracted close date if you have a reasonable cause. Your realtor should know that. If you have an attorney, bring that up to them as well.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I hope it all works out for you. Moving is stressful enough (I know since I am desperate to move). Close to 90% should be good for a sale.
Thank you. I knew that making my first purchase would be challenging, but this has been a nightmare.

If I ultimately wind up losing the condo, I will go after the lender in one way or another. Even if all I can manage is a nuisance lawsuit and as many negative online reviews as possible, they will not be coming out of this unscathed.

PM me if interested in the name of the lender (mortgage broker). Will make the name public if they don't make things right in the end.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:18 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
I'm not a lawyer so this is worth about 2 cents. I read your account and if you truly do have everything in writing you can probably bring suit, but I don't think you would win much. I think you could make a case if the new loan you received had a higher interest rate than the original loan, figure that out over 30 years, but ultimately it won't amount to much. If you lost a deposit due to this, you could also sue for that, but first I would try to get that deposit back without going to suit. That will be much less time consuming.

Additionally, I believe court docket currently for civil cases is going out for 3 years. Assuming you don't settle you will be waiting 3 years to see a judge. I would move on with my life, and give bad reviews to the lender thru website(s) and word of mouth. In the end that would probably cost them more money.

I also do not think you will find a lawyer to take your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: