Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:30 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why people from NYC, Westchester/Orange/Putnam County, Rockland/Dutchess county, Long Island area want move to CT what about NJ, PA, MA, VA etc
It's all relative, property taxes, etc. in CT while high are cheaper than NY and among the other states you mentioned NJ and MA are not much of an improvement compared to CT either (MA has a car tax like CT and both MA and NJ have sky high auto insurance rates) and (except maybe for NJ but there's the issue of toll bridges/tunnels) still very close to family and friends in NY compared to those other states. But there are a lot of ex-NYers in PA and VA (and NC) too!

I didn't realize that CT towns had alderman, I thought the term was only used in Chicago for their city council reps......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 01:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Who goes on the news and announces they're leaving the state unless they have an agenda?

Maybe he's a lousy businessman? Since he purports to be a business owner and is not on a fixed income, I'm not sure you can make that argument here.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why people from NYC, Westchester/Orange/Putnam County, Rockland/Dutchess county, Long Island area want move to CT what about NJ, PA, MA, VA etc
It's possible to commute to parts of NY from CT. IMO that's why CT keeps coming up in these conversations. NJ is too, but their property taxes are insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It's all relative, property taxes, etc. in CT while high are cheaper than NY and among the other states you mentioned NJ and MA are not much of an improvement compared to CT either (MA has a car tax like CT and both MA and NJ have sky high auto insurance rates) and (except maybe for NJ but there's the issue of toll bridges/tunnels) still very close to family and friends in NY compared to those other states. But there are a lot of ex-NYers in PA and VA (and NC) too!
There are a lot of ex NYers in Delaware too. Wilmington, DE is approx 125 miles from NYC and has an amtrak station to boot if you don't want to drive.

And no sales tax in DE. They even put it on their "Welcome to Delaware" signs at the borders.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
Let's see you make that same assessment when you are retired and living on a fixed income. Many seniors get most of their income from Social Security which can not keep up with these high taxes in this state. The majority of people I know that are moving out of state are newly retired or have been retired but just can't keep up with the high property taxes.

There should be better tax relief for the seniors in this state and it would make financial sense. The seniors do not have kids in the school systems so that would balance out the budgets of many towns as education is about 60% to 65% of a towns budget.

I know that one of my representatives in Trumbull is trying to get better senior relief passed in CT.

A lot of these new taxes are regressive which hurt the lower income households. When you combine the regressive taxes from the state with the high property taxes many seniors just can't make it here. The overall tax burden on lower income individuals is just too great now.
Actually I know an elderly person whose home taxes are significantly reduced based on their income. They save several thousand a year. They just bring their income taxes to town hall every year. Actually several of their friends have this too. Jay

Old 05-17-2015, 04:39 PM

642 posts, read 858,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually I know an elderly person whose home taxes are significantly reduced based on their income. They save several thousand a year. They just bring their income taxes to town hall every year. Actually several of their friends have this too. Jay
You are correct but it all depends on what town you are in. All the different CT towns have different senior tax relief and some don't have any programs at all. One of the reasons I like Branford, Guilford and Madison for retirement is the have good tax relief programs with Madison being the best financially.

You can see at the time this document was made Ansonia did not have a local senior tax relief program. Maybe the alderman from Ansonia is looking into the future and thinking 1) high CT taxes + 2) no tax relief program in Ansonia = I can't stay here in CT.

With someone from Ansonia the die is cast and you can't really change it. They have low property values so even if a senior sold a home there they can not "buy into" a town with a good senior tax relief program like I can coming from Fairfield County. Look at the towns and you can get a sense of which towns have better senior tax relief and they tend to be the wealthier towns in CT who can afford it.

http://coa.cga.ct.gov/pdfs/Reports/p...%20April09.pdf

The document above is a high help in deciding where I will land in retirement in CT. If I don't get into a town with good tax relief the surviving spouse (me or my husband) would have a hard time paying taxes once we get into our 80's.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 05-17-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 05:58 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times
CT is a high-tax state. Adjusted for Cost of Living Index -- it is the worst in the country.

Now, if you say it you are an idiot, malcontent with an agenda!!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
url]http://coa.cga.ct.gov/pdfs/Reports/prop%20tax%20report%20FINAL%20revised%20April09.pd f[/url]

The document above is a high help in deciding where I will land in retirement in CT. If I don't get into a town with good tax relief the surviving spouse (me or my husband) would have a hard time paying taxes once we get into our 80's.
Thanks for the information. I am 69 and occasionally think of moving back to Connecticut if I were ever widowed. The report confirms that I probably can't afford to.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM

642 posts, read 858,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
CT is a high-tax state. Adjusted for Cost of Living Index -- it is the worst in the country.

Now, if you say it you are an idiot, malcontent with an agenda!!
I think many of the people on CT city-Data are from Fairfield County. A lot of these taxes ironically are REGRESSIVE so while we may feel the increase in taxes to some degree in Fairfield County we are going to be able to pay them easier than the lower income residents in the rest of the state.

I don't know anything about this man but I would like to point out some Ansonia numbers.

Ansonia HH income: $52,115 (City-Data)
Ansonia Average Property tax: $4,295 (Blockshopper CT)

That is a tremendous local tax burden for a household that makes $52,000. Now throw in all the regressive taxes that the poorer households are getting hit with I don't know how lower income households in CT are making do. Now can you start to understand how hard it is for the lower income towns with high state & local taxes.

And by the way, while they are giving themselves raises in Hartford they are cutting services to the poor so it is even worse than you think for the poor of CT, and that means the poorer towns including Ansonia.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The reduction we could see in our town was a trivial amount. Not worth considering.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:05 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
And by the way, while they are giving themselves raises in Hartford they are cutting services to the poor so it is even worse than you think for the poor of CT, and that means the poorer towns including Ansonia.
Unfortunately corruption of this type is an unintended consequence of progressive politics. While I consider myself socially progressive, I've learned that politicians (inevitably they are or become corrupt) use social programs as an income source for themselves and their patronage army. Very little actually ever gets to the intended audience. In other words progressive politics + the ability to tax and assess = corruption. Hence the poor state of financial affairs in the progressive East coast states. This formula probably accounts for the extremely high taxes found in most localities. Inevitably it leads to a lower standard of living for the 99%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut