Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your overall opinion of Connecticut?
Love it and I'd like to live here forever 20 22.22%
It's a great state but I'd rather live elsewhere 27 30.00%
I love it and hate it but there's a reason why I have to stay here 18 20.00%
I hate it and want to move out now 8 8.89%
I'd want to stay if the Cost of Living was a little lower 17 18.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:08 AM

37 posts, read 30,651 times

Advertisements

For me being a young guy (25) I really love CT. I feel if you can afford it (can't stress the 'IF' enough) CT has to be a top 3 state. You have one of the greatest cities in the world at your fingertips,great education, and a whole bunch of other little things.

Sadly, affording it is a problem but if we can get our state budget back on track, lower certain taxes to attract more business's the sky is the limit here.

I'm a big sports fan/player and there are tons of leagues for all sports.

Playing mostly hockey and flag football I have 5-6 rinks within 20 minutes and a ton of open parks/fields to use when I host my flag football games in Wallingford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 PM

98 posts, read 111,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
For me, it's simple. If I was married, I would be fine with staying here forever. But since I'm 30 and single, I'm aiming to move out very soon. My girl friend of 30 years old is also complaining that CT simply isn't social enough and she's planning to move to NYC soon. Being single in your 30's in CT is death, unless you don't mind being single. As for me, I have three phone interviews next week in Columbus, OH, which has a huge single/gay population, tons of jobs and affordable housing. I mean, I have no reason, obligation or desire to stay here as a single gay 30-something.

Tomorrow I will be 31 years of age. Life is too short to not pursue things, follow your heart and accomplish things. Another gay friend of mine is in his 30's and plans to move to Fort Lauderdale later this month, for a bigger gay social scene. It's unfortunate that CT is like that, but it's sort of out of our control.

This post just depressed me so much lol. I just moved here under a year ago and am in my early 30s and single. I kept saying there's no way I'm meeting my future husband ever since I've moved here and I feel like this post is confirmation. Ironically, I moved from NYC. Your friend will love it.
Good luck with your phone interviews!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:58 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepa513 View Post
This post just depressed me so much lol. I just moved here under a year ago and am in my early 30s and single. I kept saying there's no way I'm meeting my future husband ever since I've moved here and I feel like this post is confirmation. Ironically, I moved from NYC. Your friend will love it.
Good luck with your phone interviews!
I do not understand why you say this. This is not Connecticut's fault. There are so many ways to meet people these days that it really is only you that is stopping you from dating. You do not have to go to bars to meet people. There are singles activities and on-line dating services that are easy to find. I know someone that just met a very nice man through an on-line dating service. It sounds like you are working too much and not getting out enough for a social life. You just need to make it a priority or you will be alone while you live here or anywhere else for that matter. Jay

Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not understand why you say this. This is not Connecticut's fault. There are so many ways to meet people these days that it really is only you that is stopping you from dating. You do not have to go to bars to meet people. There are singles activities and on-line dating services that are easy to find. I know someone that just met a very nice man through an on-line dating service. It sounds like you are working too much and not getting out enough for a social life. You just need to make it a priority or you will be alone while you live here or anywhere else for that matter. Jay
I'm sorry, but this rude post is rather unwarranted. I don't believe I asked for dating advice nor was my post one of desperation; it was lighthearted and humorous. You know nothing about me to make inappropriate statements that it is me stopping me from dating, assuming that I even have an interest in meeting people in bars which I don't, or that I don't have enough time for a social life. You should be a bit more considerate on public threads to people you know nothing about and clearly make negative assumptions and not give advice where it is not asked. Thanks, but I don't need advice on my social life or the dating scene (neither of which have been mentioned to be an issue) nor do I care about how your friends met people online and I'm well aware of how to meet people in non-traditional ways. "Working too much" - once again, really not your place to make a judgement or assume that dating is even an issue for me. I'm aware this is a public forum but people need to have more consideration and not always need to be heard.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but this rude post is rather unwarranted. I don't believe I asked for dating advice nor was my post one of desperation; it was lighthearted and humorous. You know nothing about me to make inappropriate statements that it is me stopping me from dating, assuming that I even have an interest in meeting people in bars which I don't, or that I don't have enough time for a social life. You should be a bit more considerate on public threads to people you know nothing about and clearly make negative assumptions and not give advice where it is not asked. Thanks, but I don't need advice on my social life or the dating scene (neither of which have been mentioned to be an issue) nor do I care about how your friends met people online and I'm well aware of how to meet people in non-traditional ways. "Working too much" - once again, really not your place to make a judgement or assume that dating is even an issue for me. I'm aware this is a public forum but people need to have more consideration and not always need to be heard.
My post was not rude. You were the one that brought up meeting a husband and implied that moving to Connecticut meant that you were not going to meet someone. In other posts you said you worked long hours. I merely made a suggestion as a way to change that. I did not mean to offend you but still if you post something you should expect people to comment on it. That is the way these forums work. Jay

Old 05-22-2015, 08:03 AM

503 posts, read 530,077 times
Quote:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" -Shakespeare

Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My post was not rude. You were the one that brought up meeting a husband and implied that moving to Connecticut meant that you were not going to meet someone. In other posts you said you worked long hours. I merely made a suggestion as a way to change that. I did not mean to offend you but still if you post something you should expect people to comment on it. That is the way these forums work. Jay
I responded to someone's thread who said being single in CT in your 30s is death... which I have noted here (and I'm sure many similar areas) isn't too far from the truth since it is a family oriented place... I responded to the OP with a post that was meant to be comical and light not asking for anything. I'm aware how the forums work. I just don't quite grasp why so many people seek to post things that are negative, irrelevant, unwarranted, to instigate, or always on the defense. It's frustrating to utilize a forum to gather info when people are more concerned about expressing their opinions when not asked or when the focus is taken away from the original post. And sometimes, people just want to post things in a good natured way to interact with others experiencing similar things to say "hey don't fret, you're not alone" and not everything deserves a "counterargument", which is what I was trying to do with the OP and send good wishes. I guess I'm different and not always looking to have a debate or constantly be on the defense. I love hearing people's stories and experiences and it's just a better feeling to have a good convo then have to approach one with boxing gloves on. Anyway, I don't get offended by people's opinions of me, especially anyone who doesn't know me and formed a negative one based on assumptions. Life's way too short for that.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" -Shakespeare
not exactly applicable but I love me some Shakespeare regardless

Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 AM

37 posts, read 30,651 times
Quote:
I responded to someone's thread who said being single in CT in your 30s is death... which I have noted here (and I'm sure many similar areas) isn't too far from the truth since it is a family oriented place... I responded to the OP with a post that was meant to be comical and light not asking for anything. I'm aware how the forums work. I just don't quite grasp why so many people seek to post things that are negative, irrelevant, unwarranted, to instigate, or always on the defense. It's frustrating to utilize a forum to gather info when people are more concerned about expressing their opinions when not asked or when the focus is taken away from the original post. And sometimes, people just want to post things in a good natured way to interact with others experiencing similar things to say "hey don't fret, you're not alone" and not everything deserves a "counterargument", which is what I was trying to do with the OP and send good wishes. I guess I'm different and not always looking to have a debate or constantly be on the defense. I love hearing people's stories and experiences and it's just a better feeling to have a good convo then have to approach one with boxing gloves on. Anyway, I don't get offended by people's opinions of me, especially anyone who doesn't know me and formed a negative one based on assumptions. Life's way too short for that.
What you described is one of the many reasons why I don't post much on this specific board. Everyone's anecdotal evidence is somehow better than your own. With the way this place behaves it's no wonder this board is a ghost town.

I took your post for what it was and I'll go down in the barrel of fire with you!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:44 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
I love to live here, but cost of living and taxes are too high. At time's can't make enough to even pay taxes here. State is over crowded I feel, with congested roads, and roads are not in best condition. There are limited job's in the state and college is too expensive in the state.

Outside of that I enjoy the beaches and the forest here. Can get loss on some of those trails for a day. Outdoor activities are surprisingly amazing.

I enjoy the three seasons of Connecticut...not a fan of winter, but that is due to how roads are maintained.

If cost of living, taxes were lower, and less congested roads I would stay. Unfortunately being 28 going to finish up LPN school and then my RN leave the state in next 2-3 year's
Probably go to an area with low cost of living, lower taxes, and not as congested hopefully. Will still want to visit Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut