Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times

Advertisements

I took it on saturday. Well it was the Amtrak.

This project is going to change a few things due to the fact that Amtrak is honoring the tickets and the prices (Vermonter not as much).

Mass is going to do a pilot program next year for two years for going further north (northampton, holyoke and greenfield) of two trains to supplement Vermonter but it's paid by mass.

Going down to new haven wasn't bad. The amtrak had outlets, bathrooms, wifi it's fine.

The way back though it was a "extra" train. One car didn't have A/C so it was packed. No bathrooms, a/c, no wifi, no outlets eh. It was delayed...45 minutes! I guess they did this free service as a basic test.

Bathrooms should be solved this fall. FTA is a huge stickler on ADA. There's a platform in springfield that's 2 inches off. Apparently there was some conflict between what's "historic" and what was more modern. Two inches will cost millions but it should be solved in the fall.

I was surprised to see the detail of this http://www.hartfordline.com/pdf/Hart..._timetable.pdf
It's not often to see train schedules that cross three states. The only potential issue I see is if delays prevent connectivity to Metro north or amtrak once it reaches new haven. I've heard they'll wait up to 10 minutes for connections but delays being what they are...if they can get that to a 90%+ connectivity then you can make an argument people in Hartford could technically work in NYC. There's enough of a connection already to new haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 10:24 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Excitement, Some Delays As First Daily Commuters Head To Work On New Hartford Line - Hartford Courant

Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I took it on saturday. Well it was the Amtrak.

This project is going to change a few things due to the fact that Amtrak is honoring the tickets and the prices (Vermonter not as much).

Mass is going to do a pilot program next year for two years for going further north (northampton, holyoke and greenfield) of two trains to supplement Vermonter but it's paid by mass.

Going down to new haven wasn't bad. The amtrak had outlets, bathrooms, wifi it's fine.

The way back though it was a "extra" train. One car didn't have A/C so it was packed. No bathrooms, a/c, no wifi, no outlets eh. It was delayed...45 minutes! I guess they did this free service as a basic test.

Bathrooms should be solved this fall. FTA is a huge stickler on ADA. There's a platform in springfield that's 2 inches off. Apparently there was some conflict between what's "historic" and what was more modern. Two inches will cost millions but it should be solved in the fall.

I was surprised to see the detail of this http://www.hartfordline.com/pdf/Hart..._timetable.pdf
It's not often to see train schedules that cross three states. The only potential issue I see is if delays prevent connectivity to Metro north or amtrak once it reaches new haven. I've heard they'll wait up to 10 minutes for connections but delays being what they are...if they can get that to a 90%+ connectivity then you can make an argument people in Hartford could technically work in NYC. There's enough of a connection already to new haven.

If you build it, they will come. I remember when I started using Shoreline East 15-20 years ago -- there were 1 or 2 passengers per car. And in some stations conductors used a wood stool to unload passengers.

But later they built better stations, service improved, and trains started to fill up. Now, SLE is packed on weekend and commuting times. I actually prefer SLE over Metro-North trains, although they are diesel.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
If you build it, they will come. I remember when I started using Shoreline East 15-20 years ago -- there were 1 or 2 passengers per car. And in some stations conductors used a wood stool to unload passengers.

But later they built better stations, service improved, and trains started to fill up. Now, SLE is packed on weekend and commuting times. I actually prefer SLE over Metro-North trains, although they are diesel.
I wonder what will happen once East Side Access for Grand Central opens up and a large number of LIRR trains are diverted and berths open up for Metro-North in Penn Station (part of the follow-up Penn Station Access plan). If that does happen, perhaps it would make sense then to electrify SLE, the Hartford Line, or one of the diesel New Haven Line ranches and have some sent down to Penn Station.

There's also the second phase of Penn Station Access which targets sending trains up the Empire Connection from Penn Station along Manhattan's Hudson River waterfront. Perhaps that can operate as a combined branch of the Hudson Line and New Haven, Hartford, or SLE line. It's roundabout in terms of going to upstate New York to Connecticut, but those two stops in Manhattan are host to a lot of jobs and institutions.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,190 times
I was in an old SLE car coming back from Springfield on Sunday. No outlets, wi-fi, restroom or working A/C. It was an Amtrak schedule with their conductors though.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:52 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
I was in an old SLE car coming back from Springfield on Sunday. No outlets, wi-fi, restroom or working A/C. It was an Amtrak schedule with their conductors though.

SLE don't have outlets or wifi. As others said, at this day and age, you should not need them. If I was traveling cross-country, I understand that, but for an hour or two? Laptops' batteries should last a lot more, and cell's hotspot is sufficient.

Bathrooms though -- that's a different problem. You can't be self-sufficient on the train.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,923,290 times
This new line has been such a success, that...

Quote:
Officials tweeted Sunday that the CTrail Hartford Line exceeded capacity at 1 p.m., and trains were only being used to return riders to their original destination.

Additional trains were added to the line, and buses were dispatched to Hartford Union Station to help with crowding.

More than 10,000 passengers rode the rail line during its opening day Saturday. Free rides were being offered during the weekend on the line linking New Haven, Hartford and Springfield, Massachusetts.
Riders turned away after new rail line reaches capacity

Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
SLE don't have outlets or wifi. As others said, at this day and age, you should not need them. If I was traveling cross-country, I understand that, but for an hour or two? Laptops' batteries should last a lot more, and cell's hotspot is sufficient.

Bathrooms though -- that's a different problem. You can't be self-sufficient on the train.
Not having WiFi I get, but a 90 min train ride can be a drain on your battery if you’re playing a game or surfing on your phone/iPad (which most people are doing). It’s especially helpful if you won’t have access to an outlet for much of the day, especially if you’re sightseeing around the city.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,914,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This new line has been such a success, that...

Riders turned away after new rail line reaches capacity
Where people coming ?

Old 06-18-2018, 02:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:

This locomotive looks like those WWII locomotives on History Channel.

CTDOT should have gone full retro with one these babies:

Looks like the are running GP40-2 locomotives which means they were likely made in the 70's. And the look pretty similar to GP40 which dates back to the mid 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut