Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

DOT Considering Plan To Move I-84 And I-91 Interchange to Hartford North End

"As plans for a multi-billion dollar overhaul of Hartford's aging viaduct take shape, transportation officials have turned their attention to another area of concern – rebuilding or even moving the I-84 and I-91 interchange."

"That could include rerouting I-84 into the North End and erecting a new bridge across the Connecticut River, tunneling it through the South End, or leaving the interchange in place but widening it to help ease congestion."

"The state Department of Transportation has also suggested lowering and covering I-91 in Hartford to allow access and development near the river."

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...503-story.html

Last edited by BPt111; 05-03-2017 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:51 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
DOT Considering Plan To Move I-84 And I-91 Interchange to Hartford North End

"As plans for a multi-billion dollar overhaul of Hartford's aging viaduct take shape, transportation officials have turned their attention to another area of concern – rebuilding or even moving the I-84 and I-91 interchange."

"That could include rerouting I-84 into the North End and erecting a new bridge across the Connecticut River, tunneling it through the South End, or leaving the interchange in place but widening it to help ease congestion."

"The state Department of Transportation has also suggested lowering and covering I-91 in Hartford to allow access and development near the river."

DOT Considering Plan To Move I-84 And I-91 Interchange North Of Downtown Hartford - Hartford Courant
Well both those options are better than what's there now I don't see them happening. Capping more of 91 may be the easier proposal.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I use it mostly on holidays when the thru traffic on 84 backs up. A few locals know about it but most don't. Even if they did the traffic backups going south tend to be more a result of holiday traffic then regular commuters. I for instance will be using it headed to Easter in Middletown in a couple weeks.

Isn't making a U-Turn at the bottom of that ramp technical illegal?? I remember the last I was through there stopping at the Chowder Pot down by Brainaird airport I saw a "U-turns illegal" sign. I do the 3 to 2 route to 84 now I think that's still a little bit of a secret.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Isn't making a U-Turn at the bottom of that ramp technical illegal?? I remember the last I was through there stopping at the Chowder Pot down by Brainaird airport I saw a "U-turns illegal" sign. I do the 3 to 2 route to 84 now I think that's still a little bit of a secret.
South/west bound there is no U turn required there is a ramp that cuts across. North bound yep you need to make a U turn or drive a little but in either direction and turn around. I will do that some times but only if traffic is horrible.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:49 PM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
There's a good chance we will probably never see any one of these projects completed in our lifetime. Look how long the big dig took in Boston? Future generations will reap the benefits.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
There's a good chance we will probably never see any one of these projects completed in our lifetime. Look how long the big dig took in Boston? Future generations will reap the benefits.
Not only will we never see these projects, but with all the people leaving CT they'll be less traffic on CT roads. Which negates the biggest reason to expand roads.

We should be under 2 million population within 20 years according to some on this forum.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Not only will we never see these projects, but with all the people leaving CT they'll be less traffic on CT roads. Which negates the biggest reason to expand roads.

We should be under 2 million population within 20 years according to some on this forum.

No way. We are never going to drop to 2,000,000 ever. We peaked at 3,597,000 in 2013 and currently were at 3,576,000 as of last year. After 2013, we've been dropping an average of 6,000-8,000 per year which isn't much. Fairfield County will continue to grow but slowly while the metros of Hartford and New Haven will very very slowly begin the decline. The biggest losses were in the rural areas of Windham and Litchfield Counties. If we hit 2,000,000 by 2037 that'll mean we would have to lose 75,000-80,000 per YEAR. That's losing the entire city of Norwalk every year in order to reach the number. Illinois didn't even lose that much and their economy is worse than ours especially when it comes to the deficit. I predict that by 2037, the population of the state will be between 3,450,000-3,600,000. Our population growth will be very similar to Maine's IMO. Very slow population growth and low economic activity but people aren't entirely moving out. There are some big name businesses here that employ a lot of people. Unless we have something big happen, I don't see it growing as much. The northeast is pretty much done with large population growth since this region has been overtaxed and over regulated for the past 150 years. The south is next in this trend. Large cities are taking all the people in within the northeast and CT doesn't have any of those large cities like Boston and NYC.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
[/b]

No way. We are never going to drop to 2,000,000 ever. We peaked at 3,597,000 in 2013 and currently were at 3,576,000 as of last year. After 2013, we've been dropping an average of 6,000-8,000 per year which isn't much. Fairfield County will continue to grow but slowly while the metros of Hartford and New Haven will very very slowly begin the decline. The biggest losses were in the rural areas of Windham and Litchfield Counties. If we hit 2,000,000 by 2037 that'll mean we would have to lose 75,000-80,000 per YEAR. That's losing the entire city of Norwalk every year in order to reach the number. Illinois didn't even lose that much and their economy is worse than ours especially when it comes to the deficit. I predict that by 2037, the population of the state will be between 3,450,000-3,600,000. Our population growth will be very similar to Maine's IMO. Very slow population growth and low economic activity but people aren't entirely moving out. There are some big name businesses here that employ a lot of people. Unless we have something big happen, I don't see it growing as much. The northeast is pretty much done with large population growth since this region has been overtaxed and over regulated for the past 150 years. The south is next in this trend. Large cities are taking all the people in within the northeast and CT doesn't have any of those large cities like Boston and NYC.
It depends on what happens with immigration policy. The population of the United States would be shrinking today if it weren't for immigrants. The birthrate for white people born in the US is comparable to northern Europe. It's not surprising that rural Connecticut counties are shrinking. The same is true nationally. Immigrants largely don't move there because there is little economic opportunity. The birthrate in those places is well below replacement rate plus there's the brain drain of the best & brightest to the high COL urban places where the high end jobs are.

Connecticut is 13.8% foreign born. That's in line with most of the Northeast Corridor. Flyover country is mostly low single digits. Ditto northern New England.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:48 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
[/b]

This isn't my opinion, but if you read the rhetoric on this CT forum by numerous people we should be under 2 million within 20 years. Of course this isn't true, so my comment is sarcastic.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I thought this article was interesting since it talks about Massachusetts' success with converting to an all-electronic tolling system. As Connecticut moves closer than ever to reinstituting tolls, this is some important information that needs to be considered. Is the system perfect? No, but it is pretty darn close so it is something the legislature is going to have to consider. Jay

MassDOT says E-ZPass system accuracy rate of greater than 99 percent six months into all-electronic tolling | masslive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut