Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I currently work in a suburban building full of professionals and we have a quite a number of bicyclists who commute this way. Most have a 10 mile or less commute but one guy does a 26 mile commute on a bike (I know, he is nuts but he loves it). Obviously he is an exception but there are a growing number of people using bicycles to get around and it is not just in urban areas. Why couldn't someone living in say Newtown commute to a job in Danbury by bike? If there were dedicated bike lanes, I think you would see more of it. I don't thin people know it but New Haven is one of the top cities in the country for people commuting by bicycle. This could extend to the rest of the state some day. Jay
The question really is -- how much can bike commuting take drivers off the roads, so we can relieve congestion.

Danbury does not have many young / youngish office workers. New Haven has a large student population who travel by bike, and more young / youngish professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Waterbury to Danbury is about 30 miles -- not commutable by bike. Same as Hartford to Waterbury. Besides bike commuting is seasonal. Recreational cyclists only provide minor congestion on weekends on some routes, but not highways.

Bikeways for commuting are really helpful for dense urban areas, about 5 miles commute each way. I don't think any of CT cities qualifies for "dense urban bike commuting suspect".

Commuter demographics are also not there. Executives, Lawyers and Judges are not gonna commute by bike to Hartford from their homes in WH, Farmington or Glastonbury. It's too far anyways.
This. Also, the terrain in CT is very hilly, making biking even more difficult. Bikeways are nice to have, but are not a solution to the state's transportation issues.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I currently work in a suburban building full of professionals and we have a quite a number of bicyclists who commute this way. Most have a 10 mile or less commute but one guy does a 26 mile commute on a bike (I know, he is nuts but he loves it). Obviously he is an exception but there are a growing number of people using bicycles to get around and it is not just in urban areas. Why couldn't someone living in say Newtown commute to a job in Danbury by bike? If there were dedicated bike lanes, I think you would see more of it. I don't thin people know it but New Haven is one of the top cities in the country for people commuting by bicycle. This could extend to the rest of the state some day. Jay
Commuting from Newington to Danbury by car is borderline insane. To commute it by bike is certifiable.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
I approve of the rails to trails type projects for recreational cyclists but bike commuter lanes? Hell no.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
If someone can hop on a path from Brookfield to Danbury with their bike to say the Danbury. Then a FastTrack bus stop take them to Waterbury hops on a bike path that goes to their work.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 AM

712 posts, read 530,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Commuting from Newington to Danbury by car is borderline insane. To commute it by bike is certifiable.
B.S.! As long as you got studs on your bicycle tires for the snow storms then you're good to go!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
If someone can hop on a path from Brookfield to Danbury with their bike to say the Danbury. Then a FastTrack bus stop take them to Waterbury hops on a bike path that goes to their work.
People work in Waterbury? Kidding

Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Harford suburbs meet New Haven/Fairfield County

Train service to New Haven to Hartford then into Springfield will start in May 2018 or even sooner

"Travel time between Hartford and New Haven will take about 45 minutes, while Hartford to New York City will run approximately 2 hours and 55 minutes, according to the state Department of Transportation."

"Service will include 17 daily round trips between New Haven and Hartford, with 12 of those trains continuing on to Springfield, officials said. Trains will be available in New Haven, Wallingford, Meriden, Berlin and Hartford every 45 minutes during morning and evening peak hours and every 90 minutes otherwise."

"The 62-mile Hartford Line has been sought for decades by state officials for its potential to connect the suburbs to urban centers and spur development next to new stations. The $700 million project is jointly funded by the state and federal governments."

train stations are planned for Enfield, North Haven, West Hartford and Newington.

Commuter Rail Service Between Hartford and New Haven Will Begin in May of 2018 - Hartford Courant

Last edited by BPt111; 07-24-2017 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 07:27 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Metro North should upgrade tracks, bridges and sliding along New Haven Line improve safely. In the future there should be trains going from New Haven to Grand Central in 60 minutes.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Anyone see this? Amtrak still is planning to realign a portion of the train tracks from New Rochelle to Greens Farms. Can you imagine this ever being built and the cost involved? I am surprised that there was no opposition to the proposal. Heck if Old Lyme can stop the relocation of tracks through their small town, I would think people living in towns like Greenwich, Darien and Westport could as well. Jay

Getting There: High-speed rail proposal would change Fairfield County landscape - Fairfield Citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut