Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
I agree that it's silly to talk about the profitability of public transit, especially in the context of a highway system that has no chance of ever making a "profit" and costs an incredible amount to keep up.
Highways pretty much pay for themselves with the taxes on gas. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
I don't believe they even come close to paying for themselves in any state. I remember reading something fairly recently that on average nationwide gas taxes/tolls/fees etc. pay less than half the cost of the construction and maintenance of roads and highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Highways pretty much pay for themselves with the taxes on gas. Jay

Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
How to solve congestion on I-95 in FFC and Downtown New Haven congestion.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:52 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I don't believe they even come close to paying for themselves in any state. I remember reading something fairly recently that on average nationwide gas taxes/tolls/fees etc. pay less than half the cost of the construction and maintenance of roads and highways.
I doubt this. States are always raiding their dedicated highway funds for things that are not related to transportation. Find me the source of your statement. Jay

Old 08-14-2015, 12:05 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Not sure what links are acceptable to post but here are several that address the shortfall between gas taxes/fees and highway costs:

Since 1947, the amount of money spent on highways, roads and streets has exceeded the amount raised through gasoline taxes and other so-called “user fees” by $600 billion (2005 dollars), representing a massive transfer of general government funds to highways. - See more at: Do Roads Pay for Themselves? | Frontier Group

Debunking the Myth That Because of the Gas Tax, Only Drivers Pay for Roads - CityLab

http://www.uspirg.org/sites/pirg/fil...oads%20vUS.pdf

Last edited by JGBigGreen; 08-14-2015 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Links Corrected

Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Not sure what links are acceptable to post but here are several that address the shortfall between gas taxes/fees and highway costs:
Usually gaudy numbers like PIRG uses leave out the expenditures that do not build or maintain highways.

Quote:
About 10 percent of federal highway funds in the Surface Transportation Program must be used for traffic enhancements, such as highway beautification and transportation museums. Between 2005 and 2009, the program averaged $6.51 billion in revenue. This is a sizable portion of the roughly $32 billion a year in revenues collected by the Highway Trust Fund.

The Federal Highway Administration also allocates gas tax revenues to programs that are tangentially related to transportation, but do not involve building and maintaining roads and bridges. Indeed:

From 1992-2010, $4.89 billion went to pedestrian and bicycle facilities, according to the National Transportation Enhancements Clearinghouse.
Another $1.26 billion was used for landscaping and scenic beautification.

In addition, mass transit projects are allocated 2.86 cents of the 18.4 cent federal fuel tax, a diversion of about 16 percent of the tax from highway users.

Congress recently passed a bill extending federal highway and surface transportation programs for a few months. This act includes funding for transportation enhancements that, in the past, have included many projects that have nothing to do with maintaining highways and bridges. Consider:

Ten years ago, a $140,000 federal grant was used to build a scenic park in downtown Asheville, North Carolina.
In 2010, $198,000 went to a driving simulator installed in the National Corvette Museum.

Also in 2010, transportation enhancement funds were used to build amphibian crossings in Vermont, and $3.4 million was used to build a turtle crossing in Florida.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
I remember reading an article some years ago that stated the northeast section of Amtrak actually makes a profit (I think the profit was 4.2%) This helps subsidize the rest of the Amtrak network. There are still proponents today that want to break off the northeast part of Amtrak and make it it's own rail company.

I think northeast refers to Wash DC to/from Boston.

If you search google Amtrak actually has a 40 year plan for rail network in the Northeast. That doesn't mean it will get funded and built though.

Part of the plan includes high speed rail Wash DC - Boston (I think it goes thru Central CT too)

I think all the info you could ever want is here

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/453/325/...t-Corridor.pdf

I think the most relevant part is on page 28

I do find it funny though that no one ever addresses the airlines. If a train system like this could be built. Why would we need flights between these northeast cities anymore?

Last edited by MrGompers; 08-14-2015 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Somebody is betting on CT's transportation future.

Luxury Apartments to Open Along Amtrak Line in Windsor | NBC Connecticut

Old 08-14-2015, 02:46 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Somebody is betting on CT's transportation future.

Luxury Apartments to Open Along Amtrak Line in Windsor | NBC Connecticut
I called this a couple years ago. That area is a prime spot for commuters and there's a great little town center across the street. I think that area will continue being in vogue for years to come.

A development called "Depot Crossing" has just been completed across from the Berlin Amtrak station too. It's mainly retail, but includes some housing on the top levels. Maybe condos I'm not sure.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
What about CT fasktrak expanding to the shoreline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut