U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 10:40 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,696,732 times

Advertisements

What the article is describing is basically revenue bonds with a middleman. A private investment firm and/or bank wants to front the money then get paid back via tolls. We don't need a firm to do that since that's what revenue bonds do. To issue bonds you need underwriters (which is usually investment banks) and the fee on that will be much much much lower than any up front investment scheme wall st can draw up in a board room. Trust me on this one.

A revenue bond can even be structured pay down principle every year which will diminish the coupon payments each year too. While the bond is in force tolls collected are used to make the coupon payments. If there's an excess that money can even be used to pay off the bonds early. There's far more options available to Govt if they issue their own bonds instead of having some bank front the money.

It would be very unwise to take the type of financing the article is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM

24,594 posts, read 40,159,475 times
Looks like the Q Bridge project is nearing completion. The bridge itself is done and will open to traffic in September. The I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange is supposed to be completed in 2017 so one of the state's worst traffic problems is fixed. Still there are many more needed including I-95 from New Haven to New York, I-91 at the Charter Oak Bridge and I-84/Aetna Viaduct west of downtown Hartford. Jay

Party on New Haven’s ‘Q’ bridge means span is complete

Old 07-21-2015, 12:05 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,025,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks like the Q Bridge project is nearing completion. The bridge itself is done and will open to traffic in September. The I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange is supposed to be completed in 2017 so one of the state's worst traffic problems is fixed. Still there are many more needed including I-95 from New Haven to New York, I-91 at the Charter Oak Bridge and I-84/Aetna Viaduct west of downtown Hartford. Jay

Party on New Haven’s ‘Q’ bridge means span is complete
There's nothing physically wrong with 1-95 from New Haven on down. What can they do that hasn't already been done in the last 25 years. It's the rush hour volume that's the problem. Fewer commuters would be nice - when is GE leaving??

Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
There's nothing physically wrong with 1-95 from New Haven on down. What can they do that hasn't already been done in the last 25 years. It's the rush hour volume that's the problem. Fewer commuters would be nice - when is GE leaving??
Even though there have been some improvements to I-95, they have mostly been just bridge replacements and shoulder widening. There really has not been any addition of lane capacity since the highway was constructed nearly 60 years ago. A lot has changed since then including the development of small towns into suburbs and longer commuting distances. I-95 could easily need at least one lane in direction, be it HOV lanes like they have around Hartford or general lanes.

And GE has not announced that it is leaving the state and even if it did, it likely would mean little to the traffic volumes on I-95. Jay

Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,025,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Even though there have been some improvements to I-95, they have mostly been just bridge replacements and shoulder widening. There really has not been any addition of lane capacity since the highway was constructed nearly 60 years ago. A lot has changed since then including the development of small towns into suburbs and longer commuting distances. I-95 could easily need at least one lane in direction, be it HOV lanes like they have around Hartford or general lanes.

And GE has not announced that it is leaving the state and even if it did, it likely would mean little to the traffic volumes on I-95. Jay
There is no room for an additional lane in many parts otherwise they would have done it years ago. Adding the little bits and pieces in Darien and Norwalk hasn't done anything. It's still a mess every morning.
I was joking about GE.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:30 AM

8,229 posts, read 4,156,045 times
Be sweet if train service was better in the state. Less breakdowns and more stations.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 AM

62 posts, read 53,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I am all for more spending even if it includes tolls. I work in this industry so the more jobs out there the better opportunities I have. #beingselfish.

Our roads/bridges/rails are bad. I work mostly on bridges on major highways in CT and could tell you first hand they are failing. Infrastructure work does two things 1) provides very well paying jobs 2) creates jobs because the supply chain is so large.

CT is lacking in keeping up with transportation projects. We have old technology and old ways of doing business. Hopefully the method they are using on the Walk Project (Design-Build) will catch on and be used in CT. MI, for example, replaced 500 bridges in 2 years using 1 Prime Contractor and the DB method. Using lowest bid is outdated.

We need to watch out for what Congress does. CT said that if no solution is reached we have 6-months to fund the current projects we have. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

PS-JayCT, not sure the link is correct or not. It brings me up Amazon hiring.
1) The Republicans in this state all too often can't see past Fairfield county and only want to line thier greedy pockets, that said,

2) Malloy should be focused on improving infrastructure, and not wasting time and money and a stupid busline between New Britain and Hartford.

3) As far as Tolls, STUPID IDEA, the traffic glut through this state is bad enough without dumping toll boothes into the mix. They were removed for a reason.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
There is no room for an additional lane in many parts otherwise they would have done it years ago. Adding the little bits and pieces in Darien and Norwalk hasn't done anything. It's still a mess every morning.
I was joking about GE.
The reason they have not done this is that there is a lot of opposition from environmental groups to widening the highway. You are correct that there is limited right-of-way along I-95 but there is nothing to prevent the state from buying property along the highway to expand it. It won't be cheap but highway construction never is. You are right that the bits and pieces way of widening the highway does not work. That is why Malloy is saying a full reconstruction from New Haven to New York.

I know you were joking about GE but too often people come to this forum and read something like that and walk away thinking it is true. Just feel I need to make sure that does not happen. Jay

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Be sweet if train service was better in the state. Less breakdowns and more stations.
I am not sure how many more stations can be added along the New Haven Line (East Bridgeport and Orange are planned) and Shoreline East is pretty well covered. The New Haven-Hartford-Springfield rail project will add stations throughout central Connecticut. About the only way to improve things would be to double track both the Waterbury and Danbury lines, both of which could use better service. Jay

Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,817,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
While more stations and addition of the Springfield line would be great, the state has pretty good train service. MetroNorth (justifiably) gets a lot of crap from daily commuters-- but overall remains pretty reliable. Trains run close to schedule (generally) on the half hour between New Haven and New York City. Shoreline East runs about 10 - 12 trains a day between New London (or Old Saybrook) and New Haven, with daily through trains to NYC.

Not to mention Amtrak runs services-- and flagship Acela service-- along the coast many, many times daily. Amtrak is pricey for daily commuting, but also, generally, reliable.

Inland the route from New Haven to Springfield needs badly to be developed, IMO.

The reason Metronorth incidents make the news is that they are rare-- If it was a daily occurrence, it wouldn't be news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or