Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,814,296 times

Advertisements

IMO a beltway around Hartford was a good idea. It's too late to implement now. At the very minimum they should have build a bypass around Hartford. This may still be possible today if it's done on the east side of Hartford.

Putnam bridge plus RT 2 west is kinda of a bypass, but it's way too congested.

One city that does have a bypass is Wilmington, DE. I-95 goes into the city and I-495 goes around it, however I believe you can still access Wilmington from I-495.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 AM

34,823 posts, read 56,727,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Am I the only one who is happy they didn't add the beltway around Hartford? Especially around West Hartford to Bloomfield. Interstate 291 was the most logical because it didn't cut through reservoirs and busy neighborhoods. It was just farms and it wasn't a highway until they upgraded it. The traffic congestion wouldn't be as bad if they added the beltway but much of the problems come from the poor design on the highways that run through Hartford. The fact they did nothing to fix the ones we have already and instead added more roads that will eventually cost us more. We needed to be more proactive because study phases weren't as important as they are now.

Last thing I noticed...do you think it's necessary to build a beltway around Hartford in this day and age because the Hartford area isn't growing as fast as it was. I don't think spending billions of dollars would be beneficial when we aren't growing as fast as places that desperately need a beltway. Austin needs an outer ring because of how fast it's population is booming. More cars equals more people. New highways aren't in high demand right now as others places around the country. The only reason why I wish we had a beltway is because when they do the highway construction in Hartford, where would all the traffic go?
The problem is that if someone coming from the west of Hartford who wants to go north have few options other than going directly through Hartford. This is why I-84 west of downtown is the busiest highway in the state and like you question, is going to be a real problem when the state has to reconstruct that section of highway in the next several years. I understand that people do not want a highway cutting through MDC's property or the beautiful suburbs of Farmington, West Hartford, Bloomfield and Windsor but many others are paying the price of poor planning. The fact that we are a mature state with lower growth does not mean we should not be correcting problems that exist today. The more attractive we can make our state the better chance we have of attracting and retaining businesses and people. That said it is highly unlikely there will ever be a full beltway around Hartford. The window on that opportunity was slammed shut decades ago. Jay

Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM

If you look at a map of Hartford there is a "mini beltway" which is basically RT 9/ I-91/ RT 6 / Rt 3 but all these roads are not necessarily connected in convenient ways and/or are not highways, but one can see how a beltway may have worked.

If you look at a map it wouldn't take much to connect RT 3 to I-84/I-384/I-291 Some of the land of a potential road thru this area is probably owned by Pratt and Manchester Comm College.

Also, if you look at a map it wouldn't take much to connect RT 9 to RT 15 (Wilbur Cross Prky) or have a better connection from RT 175 in Newington to RT 15. Pushing traffic to RT 15 would help traffic that is going East of Hartford and that traffic wouldn't actually have to drive thru Hartford.

I don't think there are any answers for traffic coming directly from west of Hartford. The area is too build out now. Best is to try to divert some of the traffic around Hartford, so I-84 can handle the traffic better.

Last edited by MrGompers; 05-21-2015 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 10:50 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,606,722 times
I think the only answers for traffic at this point are trying alternatives to driving. The busway might help relieve some pressure for commuters on I-84 and the commuter railway could help I-91 once it starts operating.

Employers can pitch in with more options for telecommuting.

We can do our part as well and slowly start to adapt our lifestyles to less suburban sprawl. Or when we do move to the suburbs make sure we live within the reach of mass transit.

None of these is a silver bullet or overnight solution.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:55 AM

34,823 posts, read 56,727,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I think the only answers for traffic at this point are trying alternatives to driving. The busway might help relieve some pressure for commuters on I-84 and the commuter railway could help I-91 once it starts operating.

We can do our part as well and slowly start to adapt our lifestyles to less suburban sprawl. Or when we do move to the suburbs make sure we live within the reach of mass transit.

Actually the insurance companies in Hartford have some of the highest rates for work from home employees in the country. Jay

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,388,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post

So do you take the bus? Also, the whole idea of people living 15-30 miles from where they work isn't really doable if you don't have a car to commute to work with. Same with the way houses are subdivided. We are built for cars. I like my car.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,606,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
So do you take the bus? Also, the whole idea of people living 15-30 miles from where they work isn't really doable if you don't have a car to commute to work with. Same with the way houses are subdivided. We are built for cars. I like my car.
I don't live in the Hartford area anymore but I take the local light rail to work (HBLR).

I never said you should be forced to give up your car. Choosing to commute to work by bus while keeping the car at home for nights and weekends might help relieve traffic issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually the insurance companies in Hartford have some of the highest rates for work from home employees in the country. Jay
Good to know

Old 06-08-2015, 01:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,477,752 times
Looks like the CtFasttrak is such a success that Malloy announced today they will be spending $6.5M to extend service from Hartford to Manchester.

Malloy: Expand Busway Service To Manchester, East Hartford - Hartford Courant

Does anyone who drives the route notice any difference in traffic?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 PM

I was in Downtown New Britain today and drove by the New Britain fast track station. There were about 4 police cars there and news vans from all the local stations.

Did Malloy make the announcement @ the New Britain station? That would make sense with all the activity and police.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:14 PM

3,434 posts, read 3,929,731 times
I thought the Fastrak service already served east of the river?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut