Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,248 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Norwalk since 1957. I've been through the public schools here and raised four kids who have been through the same public schools. Norwalk is a great place to live and raise a family. Like Bridgeport and Stamford, it's more racially and economically diverse than some of the adjacent towns (e.g., Darien, New Canaan, Westport). We have several major municipal attractions (Maritime Center, Annual Oyster Festival, Stepping Stones Museum), a terrific Community College, lovely parks, and neighborhoods that range from urban chic (downtown South Norwalk with shops, restaurants, apartments, access to I-95 and MetroNorth) to classic suburban (two-acre zoning for homes, churches and schools) and everything in between, including a mile-long stretch of Route 1 developed with Wal-Mart, Staples, Costco, Home Depot, Pier I, Old Navy, and the usual attendant fast food restaurants and smaller shops. We have poor, middle-class and wealthy residents and there are services to support them all. We have a beautiful public beach and several smaller private beaches. There are activities all year long for families. We're 45 minutes from downtown NYC (when the traffic's okay) and close to three NY airports and one CT airport. Life here has changed a lot in 50 years but it's a vibrant community and if you want to get involved, there's no end of choices for you. It's getting more expensive and more crowded but that's true all along the "gold coast" so it would be relatively the same issue for any of the towns in lower Fairfield County. I hope you find what you're looking for, here in Norwalk, or in any of our neighboring towns. To learn more about Norwalk, go to this link. City of Norwalk CT, Connecticut U.S., norwalk city hall, and explore. Best of luck to you in your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 12,992 times
I live in Norwalk, but I grew up about 40m north of here (New Milford, CT). The cost of housing is phenomenally expensive for what you get; while the public transportation system is fairly good (I used for awhile when I didn't want to buy a new car) and I've never had any problems, it's just that it's not the idealized town that Darien, etc. seem to be. East Norwalk, and 'West' Norwalk (by the Darien border) seem to be good off the beaten path.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:12 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Theres a lot of things. Bridgeports taxes are crazy & Fairfields up there too.
I hate to disagree with you, but I have a friend who sold a $500k home in Norwalk and bought a $700k house in Fairfield and their taxes went down. not sure why you think the taxes are high in Fairfield. They are certainly no higher than other towns in the area.

I alos agree that Norwalk is a great small city. In addtion to what the others mentioned above, it is home to the wonderful Stew Leonard's store. In addition to reasonably priced high qulaity meats, dairy products and produce, it is a lot of fun for kids. Jay

Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 AM

164 posts, read 783,704 times
While Stew Leonards is pretty cool, I wouldn't say Norwalk is a great town to live because of that one grocery store. They are also located in Danbury, Newington, Yonkers and soon to be Orange.

Norwalk is a great little city. While it is very expensive, it offers a plethora of activities ... the Maritime Center, SoNo, Merrit 7 complexes(one of the most prestigious corporate addresses in Fairfield Co), excellent mass transit (plenty of cabs and access to the Danbury and New Haven lines of Metro-North) and you're just 40 minutes from Manhattan (without traffic).

Often Norwalk is considered crappy or ghetto, and it does have its parts, but Norwalk faces tough competition. The surrounding area communities (Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, Weston, Westport) are some of the most exclusive and desirable communities in all of the US. I'd say if you compare Norwalk to similar CT cities such as New Britain, Bristol, New London and Manchester, Norwalk is doing incredibly well. It has something for everyone.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
What horrible thing will happen to children that go to Bridgeport public schools?

Why are idiots allowed to post ignorant garbage like this?
Because its a free country.

Maybe nothing will happen to your kids in Bridgeport schools. Its a risk I'm not willing to take. You can do as you please but if you dont think a child would be better off in any neighboring town than Bridgeport perhaps your the ignorant one.

Ignoring an issue because its not nice doesn't make it go away.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I hate to disagree with you, but I have a friend who sold a $500k home in Norwalk and bought a $700k house in Fairfield and their taxes went down. not sure why you think the taxes are high in Fairfield. They are certainly no higher than other towns in the area.

I also agree that Norwalk is a great small city. In addtion to what the others mentioned above, it is home to the wonderful Stew Leonard's store. In addition to reasonably priced high qulaity meats, dairy products and produce, it is a lot of fun for kids. Jay
Its ok Jay, you can dissagree with me, I'm not an expert on these things. You seem quite knowledgable about them. I'm speaking from heresay really regarding Ffld & taxes. Thinking on it my perception is likely skewed by the homes I am familiar with , mostly newer & mostly expensive. I'v worked on homes that the taxes were outrageous but theres homes like that here in Norwalk too. As I said earlier, for whatever reason I tend to lump Bridgeport & Fairfield together. I realize its not fair & will work on it. Never gave it much thought before.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I realize its not fair & will work on it. Never gave it much thought before.

maybe you should give it some thought before you post on to a forum thats intented to accurately inform in and out of state folks on some big decisions in their lives. Inaccuracies etc on these posts really help no one and further exacerbate sterotypes and misinformation. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut