U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Where can we get some good rosemary in Stamford/Norwalk area?
Agway has some nice rosemary. Just bear in mind that it's not quite as "perennial" up here in New England as it is in the southern and southwestern states (and Asia and the Mediterranean, where it grows natively). It might come back next year, or it might not even make it through the end of the summer. It's normally a very hardy plant, in its own natural habitat, and can grow uncontrollably like a weed, in those parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 PM

854 posts, read 896,160 times
Is Agway just an agricultural Amway?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:21 AM

10,396 posts, read 7,478,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Agway has some nice rosemary. Just bear in mind that it's not quite as "perennial" up here in New England as it is in the southern and southwestern states (and Asia and the Mediterranean, where it grows natively). It might come back next year, or it might not even make it through the end of the summer. It's normally a very hardy plant, in its own natural habitat, and can grow uncontrollably like a weed, in those parts of the world.
Even while living in North Mississippi, there were plants (Elephant Ear) that could be killed by the cold and we successfully mulched and covered them until spring. Wonder if that would work with rosemary?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM

Any perennial flowers that are reliable?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,681,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Is Agway just an agricultural Amway?
Not really. It is kind of like a local True Value or Ace but they deal solely with landscaping and pet/animal supplies. One thing I love about them is some of their products are geared towards the actual climate/region the store is in. For instance they sell a CT grass seed mix that you won't find at a big box store, and there are different types of feed for horses, chickens, etc.

This rain has been great for the yard, everything is greening up again as the moisture soaks in. We had a good downpour yesterday in the early evening and it's been steady since which my plants have loved. A good deep watering will only help them, I need to get my trellis in so they can start to grow up more.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Any perennial flowers that are reliable?
Most perennials are "reliable." That's what makes them perennials

It really depends on your soil and how much sun your garden gets though. Just make sure to plant appropriately for your garden's conditions.

My herb garden is exclusively perennial, and all of the herbs in it grow flowers.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,321,826 times
Update: June 4: Thanks to the one of record warm but dry May, everything got a head start.

All Tomato plants have blooms on them. Some are fruiting. Campari and Farmstand.

Exciting! Mmmm. Pickle time soon.

Onions. FYI... Cardboard works GREAT to hold weeds down. You can put mulch to make it look "pretty". I don't. Using it for the walkways is so convenient so you don't have to pull weeds near the pavers.

I like my herbs in pots. Easy to get to on the deck

A test? I added Straw to the 2 rows of Tomatoes on right. We'll see which rows do better or same

From Left to right. Fava Beans, Eggplants, Bell Peppers, Onions, potatoes. String Beans in back. Eggplants NEED HEAT NOW. They are so picky!!

Overall look at the 2 Beds

Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 AM

24,577 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Wow, very nice Cam. Jay

Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,321,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wow, very nice Cam. Jay
Thanks! It keeps me sane and busy during the worst months of the year for me. Something to look forward to in time of SAD. LOL!

And here's my neighbors garden and custom shed. (yes, he's Italian too)

Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 PM

Absolutely beautiful! Both gardens! (well all three) It looks like you've got pickles on the vine!

My sweetie, born and raised in Milford, had an Italian neighbor who taught him a lot about gardening AND cooking! He's got some great stories about that family! They were very nice to him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or