U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,041,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks! It keeps me sane and busy during the worst months of the year for me. Something to look forward to in time of SAD. LOL!

And here's my neighbors garden and custom shed. (yes, he's Italian too)

Is he raising rabbits in that shed? true italians raise rabbits in those
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 AM

1,183 posts, read 933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm SO looking forward to having a garden. I know it's too late this year - we won't be there for another few weeks, then another few weeks until the house closes. We have trees so I'll have to learn the sun/shade of the property.

I want to have bee friendly flowers. I want to have plants indigenous to the CT. Vegetables will be nice.

I saw the growing schedule on the almanac site (very cool).

So for now I just want to hear about YOUR gardens. How's it growing? Flood me with greenery... and tomatery and squashery....
Oh I am so glad you started this thread & hope it has a long & happy run here on C-D!
I'm hoping to move to CT from upstate NY and the difference of just a few climate/growing zones makes such a difference! I'm a freelance floral designer contemplating a career change, but will always work with flowers as a side job or even just a hobby. I was in North Madison this week and saw a garden design I found so appealing. The owner mixes veggies & flowers; containers & beds...and has them scattered throughout her property. It almost forces one to take a moment and meander. Probably not the most efficient use of space - as opposed to rows etc. - but from a purely aesthetic angle she gets an A+.

Looking forward to everyone's pics & comments.
Cambium, as usual your pics are so great!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:49 AM

65,348 posts, read 47,622,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Is he raising rabbits in that shed? true italians raise rabbits in those
Rabbits next to a garden? He can't stand them. lol. Nah, that's just a shed for his garden tools and a place to sit and watch the garden grow when it rains. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Absolutely beautiful! Both gardens! (well all three) It looks like you've got pickles on the vine!

My sweetie, born and raised in Milford, had an Italian neighbor who taught him a lot about gardening AND cooking! He's got some great stories about that family! They were very nice to him!
Thanks! Those cucumbers on the vine will eventually be pickles when I preserve them with my special Brine. That's if they make it past my mouth. LOL. Mmm, if there's 1 vegetable that tastes so much better then bought it's the cucumber. Its simply a whole fresher different taste.

Yeah, I miss those old time type stories. Things are so different now with people and in general. Luckily I have a old neighbor who still shares them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Oh I am so glad you started this thread & hope it has a long & happy run here on C-D!

I'm hoping to move to CT from upstate NY and the difference of just a few climate/growing zones makes such a difference! I'm a freelance floral designer contemplating a career change, but will always work with flowers as a side job or even just a hobby. I was in North Madison this week and saw a garden design I found so appealing. The owner mixes veggies & flowers; containers & beds...and has them scattered throughout her property. It almost forces one to take a moment and meander. Probably not the most efficient use of space - as opposed to rows etc. - but from a purely aesthetic angle she gets an A+.

Looking forward to everyone's pics & comments.
Cambium, as usual your pics are so great!
Thanks... I think you'll like this one.. On my way to Home Depot, this is in West Norwalk. Both gardens are right on the street. LOVE THAT! Who cares, just put a garden where ever there's sun or space.

Looks like they got flowers and vegetables mixed in there. I see a rose bush inside there. Also protected all around for animals.

Closer Look.

Spoiler

Same street, another house. They even have a water faucet setup in the middle of the garden. Great idea instead of running the hose from the house which is 75 feet away on the right..

Old 06-05-2015, 11:57 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,395,749 times
My wife and I plant herb gardens in our patio area but this year I am making her an herb garden out of pallets. It wont be done until the end of the weekend but here is what it looks like so far: Anyone else ever do this? Its a really great idea. I will post more pics when it all is done and loaded up with greens

Freshly painted:

Before Paint:

Where it will be when done:

This is a finished one to give an idea of what you can do(This is not mine)

Old 06-05-2015, 08:00 PM

10,469 posts, read 7,555,181 times
I LOVE those, gm! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Seems very simple. I like the color. Looks more finished painted, I think.

Bridge, there's a garden you can park and walk around in that a private person owns. It's in Branford on the way to the shoreline/beach area. You can't hardly miss it. We never stopped and walked around but they put a sign out when they welcome people.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:31 AM

With June acting like April (cool and wet) everything slowed down considerably except the herbs and cool weather crops. Peppers, Eggplants, Cucumbers, Onions have slowed in growth. At least May gave them a nice boost! Tomatoes are doing Excellent!

Here are some Pepper pics for today.

Hungarian Wax

Dr Martin Carrot Red

Pretty Purple

Sweet Bell Pepper

Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,395,749 times
Here is the almost finished pallet garden. My wife is going to add some lettering designs to it but overall, this is it.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:29 PM

That's great!! I can't wait to see where the sun hits the property - and I hope we get it. VA inspection tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:15 AM

My harvest this morning. Pickling Cucumbers. Not enough to actually pickle so I'll be eating these. Mmmmmm.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or