Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Onions are in.

April 22, 2018:

I covered them up as a mound. This not only helps with drainage but keeps the bulb in looser soil than down below.

58 Red
37 Yellow
31 White

126 Onions.

Done and watered in.

Potatoes went in too.

In the tray are just home store bought potatoes that got "bad". I don't call it bad since there's 2 good uses for them... I stored them in a dark, cool, dry room over winter and now they're ready.

The others I bought from Lowes. Already got a little growth on them. So much moisture are inside these things its amazing.

I had some extra ones so right in the compost pile they went

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:15 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
Can lettuce seeds go right in the ground yet? I know they are usually A LOT more tolerant.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:33 AM

898 posts, read 597,896 times
I'd start them inside. Just been too cool. Peas would probably be ok

Old 04-25-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Can lettuce seeds go right in the ground yet? I know they are usually A LOT more tolerant.
I sowed the Lettuce, Kale and Spinach outside last week. I knew we would warm up this week. They are sprouting now. You'll be fine. Throw em in. No lows in the 30s next 7 days. Heat next week

Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
Perfect! That will be Friday. I picked up a trenching shovel to bury more hardware wire mesh around the perimeter too.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Time to start hardening off!! Looking at the weather models it looks like no freezes here next 10 days. By that time it will be near mid May and safe to transplant.

Also heating up next week so they can get used to some outside air.

Dont forget though... frost kills and cold temps slow growth so keep that in mind because nights still getting to upper 30s/low 40s.

I will start tomorrow afternoon while its warm. 30 minutes in shade away from wind.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:34 AM

35 posts, read 21,514 times
The peas in my garden are starting to come up. The garlic planted in the fall seems to be doing well too. Strawberry plants are starting to green up. I stared some tomatoes and peppers inside. Hopefully they will make it and we will be able to plant outside soon.

I am looking forward to visiting my favorite place for plants, Meadowview, in Southwick, MA. If you haven't visited them before it is worth the drive.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 AM

BTW - this thread could be about your flower gardens.. doesn't have to be just about veggies.

The harden off process began 2 days ago. 1 hour in the shade and without strong winds. Will increase to 2 hours next few days then slowly introduce it to the sun little at a time.

Lots of flowers on the hot peppers. This could be an amazing season.

Garlic looking great

Old 05-10-2018, 04:52 PM

898 posts, read 597,896 times
Man, what a couple of busy days. The recent rains did not help my efforts at all. Still not done getting all of the lawn mowed, less than 1/4 acre..... HAD to start turning over the garden, which has been fallow for at least one year and longer in some sections. I turned over two 30 inch by about 11ft beds before 9am this morning. Just about done raking down the second bed and SNAP.... the handle snaps off of the head of my garden rake.... Been fixed before, time for a new handle...... I mean, I honestly think I've had this rake for near 30 years....cast iron flat top....going in my will to my kids...I have hopefully another 30 years in it for me. So off to Lowes to get a new handle, figured what the heck, I bought a can of Sea Blue Rustoleum, and after I put the new handle on the rake, painted the rake, my cultivator rake, stirrup hoe, couple of shovels, couple of sledge hammers, and some other tools to use up the can of spray paint. threw me off schedule. Ended the day with about 50ft of 30 inch row turned over by hand, and raked down. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some radish and beans and squash in. Never do well with potted squash. Direct seeding works best at my dad's place. Heavy soil. too much clay.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:08 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
The challenges of apartment gardening are new to me. Nope, no pictures yet. I bought one Celebrity tomato plant and now it's doing well in a much larger pot out on the balcony. I thinned my lettuce, all in one large shallow pot. Bought some potting soil because there's no room here to make compost--that should serve for the nasturtium seeds if I ever get them planted.

Downstairs in the tiny bit of earth that I can call my own, I planted some daisy like annuals from Walmart. I braided the leaves of the daffodils because they're done. Just figured out where to plant my gladiola bulbs--back near the now flowering azalea. Lots more to buy but there wasn't much available yet at the garden centers. I cannot find the window box holders that you would need for putting a box of flowers over the balcony railing--I don't think they make them anymore. I have 24" and 30" long faux terra cotta planters but nothing to hold them up with. Chains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut