U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:23 AM

64,808 posts, read 47,129,838 times

Advertisements

My backyard Garden Update: 6/21/15

Good news is: Haven't needed to water in 3 weeks (4.15"!).
Bad news is.. Less than 10hrs of sun in last 7 days.

Hot peppers in pots are doing great despite no heat or sun. Goes to show how important the first couple weeks after transplanting are.

2 more Pepper Photos including pretty small Purple ones:

Spoiler

Bell Peppers doing awesome

Lots of green tomatoes and blooms. Need some heat and sun to get the ripening process started. Heading into July without a ripe one is common though. We really only have 2 good full months of picking tomatoes.

Another view of the Tomatoes/

Spoiler

See the string beans growing. Very flat kind.

Mmmmmm, Fresh Cucumbers. Pretty soon enough to start Pickling in jars. Nice to step outside and pick fresh, no pesticide produce.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:30 AM

One of my favorite things in the yard... .. Everyday I'm throwing food scraps in there and within days its broken down. Simply amazing to see it go from a huge pile of fallen leaves 7 months ago to organic dirt.

Lots of worms in there!! Especially from all the rains. They are loving the compost pile.

Size is deceiving so see close-ups below.

Spoiler

Old 06-22-2015, 07:53 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,666,198 times
I have zero fruiting plants at this stage but everything is growing. Seems my plants have almost doubled in size after the couple days of rain we had. I'm chalking this up to the fact that my garden only gets sun from about 7-1 each day as opposed to others with full day. So it's probably a little slower to take, thoughts?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I have zero fruiting plants at this stage but everything is growing. Seems my plants have almost doubled in size after the couple days of rain we had. I'm chalking this up to the fact that my garden only gets sun from about 7-1 each day as opposed to others with full day. So it's probably a little slower to take, thoughts?
7-1 is good because you wont have that torching afternoon heat on them (although Onions and others do like that) but the 7-9am isn't that great since you can be in the 60s at that time during the sunlight.

We've only had 10 hours of sun in last 7 days here. Thankfully we gotten rain. Mine as well have doubled but I noticed not flowered as much as if there was sun.

Now watch when we do get sun, everything is going to take off even more. I wont be watering till July at this pace. Let the roots go deep!

Gardens need a delicate balance of everything. Rain, Sun, Warmth. But too hot and Tomatoes won't produce new blooms.(over 90)

Old 06-23-2015, 09:52 AM

29 posts, read 30,141 times
Hi all.
I'm so glad to find that thread about gardens! I'm definitely jealous to see all these great gardens you guys have! I moved to the US this year and recently started a raised garden bed where I have tomatoes, cucumber, jalapenos growing. I also have a greenhouse with plenty of herbs. I'm very (very) new to gardening and to CT so I'm amazed how well everything is growing so far! My garden is actually overcrowded and looks more like jungle! Anyway I have a question (sorry if it was answered previously in this thread). What do you do for winter? Can anything survive the cold? Do you just restart everything from scratch in Spring? Can I move some stuff into pots in my basement and put them out again next year?...
Thank you for your advices.
Mat

Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_mosc View Post
I'm very (very) new to gardening and to CT so I'm amazed how well everything is growing so far! My garden is actually overcrowded and looks more like jungle!

Anyway I have a question
  • What do you do for winter?
  • Can anything survive the cold?
  • Do you just restart everything from scratch in Spring?
  • Can I move some stuff into pots in my basement and put them out again next year?...
Welcome to CT and gardening. You will find challenges along the way especially with weather. But yeah, our landscape can look like a jungle in the Summer and feel like one at times.
  • In Fall (about end of September) I start taking down everything. Some folks plant fall cool crops which will grow in Sept/Oct/Nov. I don't. I want to get ready for winter. So I put all my scraps and dying plants into my compost pile and just leave the garden beds alone till Spring.
  • No.
  • Yes.
  • What stuff? No vegetable will survive. My tropical plants barely survive inside. Bring any sensitive plants inside before frost. We'll get to posting about that in a few months. Think of Fall and winter like a break from gardening.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:29 AM

So who else would tolerate this in their vegetable garden?

4 weeks ago the mother dug the hole, prepared the nest in my Potato patch..
2 weeks ago she had the babies. Oddly, only 2 of them..
4 days ago they finally opened their eyes.
This morning, you can really tell they are getting bigger and healthier but still can't get out and walk.

I'm glad my Red Potato is being used as an umbrella. Covered by hay is the only thing protecting them from Rain, Sun, Wind, Cold, Heat.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 PM

10,296 posts, read 7,423,166 times
Cambium, that's a delicious crop your growing in your garden! JUST KIDDING! our house doesn't close till the 10th. the yard is full of trees and granite outcroppings. I'm looking forward to seeing where I can plant herbs.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:28 AM

Cool.. My Garden Potato Patch is now a sanctuary.
Lets just hope they don't build condos in there.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 AM

10,296 posts, read 7,423,166 times
Nice garden cam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or