U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 PM

324 posts, read 81,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Question for tree experts:

Planted a ton of trees a few weeks ago. One Iím concerned with. Itís a pink flowering crabapple. All but maybe a dozen leaves are turning orange, like they would in fall. I did peel back the bark on one branch and itís bright green, and seems healthy.

Not sure if the tree is dying or just turning color early?
Did you peel the bark back on a twig end, or a decent branch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 PM

15,125 posts, read 18,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstodur View Post
Did you peel the bark back on a twig end, or a decent branch?
It was a real branch, but theyíre pretty thin as itís a young tree. Roughly 6í

Old 09-05-2018, 05:07 AM

67,847 posts, read 49,821,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Question for tree experts:

Planted a ton of trees a few weeks ago. One Iím concerned with. Itís a pink flowering crabapple. All but maybe a dozen leaves are turning orange, like they would in fall. I did peel back the bark on one branch and itís bright green, and seems healthy.

Not sure if the tree is dying or just turning color early?
Surprised you planted now in this weather pattern. As long as you water I guess. Transplanting should be done when roots are dormant. It's might be transplant shock but at least the leaves are orange and not browned... Also, Young trees do change earlier than older trees I noticed. Don't worry about it too much.

Maybe go to the place you bought them from and see if other crabapples are changing?

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 AM

1,858 posts, read 790,555 times
Bought some discount catamint and planted it last weekend at $3.00 bucks a plant not a big loss if does not take. Part of my plan to swap all the annuals to Perennials in my flower beds. Any suggestions for other perennials (preferably low growing under 18" high) that can be planted now? I have the big plants mostly covered but I need something along the front walk etc.

On the vegetable front has anyone tried winter container gardening in windows? I have done some herbs before. But I noticed we have a window in our dining room that gets alot of sun and doesn't have anything near it so I was thinks on several herbs and maybe something else but I'm not sure what yet.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:57 PM

3,485 posts, read 2,046,493 times
I've got a few areas cleared, a stash of cardboard and some weed block.

Would you put cardboard down first or weed block? I'll be putting mulch over everything when it's done.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:31 AM

Are you guys ready for a new garden season??

What plans do you have for 2019? Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Here's a list of my Hot Peppers. Seeds to start in 2 weeks.

Aji Rain Forest
Anaheim
Banana
Big Tai Hybrid
Cayenne
Chinese 5 Color
Dr Martin Carrot Red
Dragons Spawn
Hawaiian Hot
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Lima Blanca
Naga Joloki
Numex Orange Spice
Orange Habanero
Orange Tea Pot
Papacello Forte
Pepper Name
Pico de Mondavia
Poblano
Purple Jalapeno
Pusa Jwala
Red Marconi
Royal Gold
Serrano Purple
Serrano Purple Long
Shish_ito
Silvri Barb
Small Cherry Peppers
Sweet Chocolate Bell
Sweet Pepper California Wonder
Sweet Pepper Carnival Blend
Thunder Mountain

Old 02-18-2019, 02:56 PM

19,067 posts, read 18,157,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Bought some discount catamint and planted it last weekend at $3.00 bucks a plant not a big loss if does not take. Part of my plan to swap all the annuals to Perennials in my flower beds. Any suggestions for other perennials (preferably low growing under 18" high) that can be planted now? I have the big plants mostly covered but I need something along the front walk etc.

On the vegetable front has anyone tried winter container gardening in windows? I have done some herbs before. But I noticed we have a window in our dining room that gets alot of sun and doesn't have anything near it so I was thinks on several herbs and maybe something else but I'm not sure what yet.
On the vegetable front, I finally bought a mini greenhouse on Amazon and I LOVE IT! I think it's made of plexiglass and it looks just like a...greenhouse. The roof is sloping and you can easily open it up to set plants down inside. The entire thing lifts up and it has no floor. I think it will help with the winter dryness. By Ikea.

I started lettuce in it. Scattered the seeds, watered them, and they finally germinated. But there isn't quite enough light even in the south facing window for them to grow very well. The little plants were spindly. But the weather has been above freezing and lettuce is a cold weather crop, so I've been taking the individual pots and setting them outside during the day. I think a little lighting system would help but that's for next year. I hope before too long, I can set the plants outside all day long and have lettuce to eat.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:22 PM

Im busy and running late. Pepper seeds are supposed to be started this weekend. Mid May safe transplant day in CT.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:57 AM

It was time.

26 different varieties of peppers.

Anaheim
Purple Beauty
Pico De Mondavia
Naga Jolokii
Jimmy Nardello
Cayenne
Jalapeno
Chinese 5 Color
Shi-shi-to Sweet
Banana
Pusa Jwala
Red Marconi
Papacello Forte
Poblano
Silvri Barb
Orange Habanero
Hawaiian Hot
Serrano Purple Long
Dr Martin Carrot Red

Lima Blanca
Royal Gold
Aji Rain Forest
Dragons Spawn
NuMex Orange Spice
Orange Tea Pot
Thunder Mountain

My box of goodies.

Garden beds under 7 inches of snow right now. Will get a soil temp update soon

Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 AM

No outside stuff here yet...

My soil temp 4" down this morning is 36.5įF. Frozen top inch.

There used to be a time where we would golf and garden in March, not in past 7 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or