U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 AM

29 posts, read 30,199 times

Advertisements

Thanks Cambium. I guess I have to accept that I cannot grow my plants bigger and bigger each year. It's a season thing and I'll do it all over again next spring!
I'll try not to reproduce the same mistake though! And I need to look into that compost thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:15 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,321,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Nice garden cam!
Thanks! Hardest part is first 4 weeks taking care of the seedlings inside. After that, they're on their own. lol Just have to stand there and water. Speaking of which, I haven't watered in 4 weeks now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_mosc View Post
Thanks Cambium. I guess I have to accept that I cannot grow my plants bigger and bigger each year. It's a season thing and I'll do it all over again next spring!
I'll try not to reproduce the same mistake though! And I need to look into that compost thing.
Here's proof on how each year there could be a new challenge just because of our weather here in Connecticut.

Pepper plants this year....VS.... Last year.
Warm & Dry May this year VS Cold and Wet May last year.

1st 4 weeks in the ground is absolutely crucial to the growth. Even with only 2 days of sun in past 10 days the garden has grown a lot. That's because May and beginning of June was warm and dry

Cucumbers picked yesterday

Tomatoes doing well. Lots of them and new blooms but need sun to get them to ripen now.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:10 PM

Cambium's Connecticut Pickles. See process below.

Here's the brine mix you put into the jars.
6 Cups water
2 Cups White distilled vinegar
1/3 cup of Non Iodized Salt
2 Table Spoons of Dill
10 Black Pepper Corns
Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool completely before putting them into the jars.

The set-up. Jars, Cukes, Garlic, Fresh Dill, Black Pepper corns

Slice the cukes and start loading the jar
5 Garlic Cloves. 5 Pepper corns. Fresh Dill.

I had the lids in hot water to disinfect. Put the lids on, snug the ring (not tight!)
Put the left over brine into a Tupperware put in fridge.
Get ready to give the jars a bath.

Bath time. Put them into the water on a rack inside the pot (do not let jars touch the bottom!).. let it boil for 10 minutes from time it starts boiling... no more.

Take them out with lifters (they are hot!) and set aside, let them cool down.

You will hear the "POP" on the jars after few minutes... That means its been sealed.

Nothing like fresh homegrown pickles. I was having them all winter long.

Last edited by Cambium; 06-26-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 PM

10,396 posts, read 7,478,326 times
I can't rep you again but thanks for the great info! Do you boil them with towels in the pot? Also I was complimenting your garden camera

Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I can't rep you again but thanks for the great info! Do you boil them with towels in the pot? Also I was complimenting your garden camera
Yeah, because I only had 3 jars I had to put the towels in there so they don't move around and fall.
That camera is in case I get neighbors stealing my Tomatoes. LOL! It's only there until the Bunnies grow up and leave (probably few more weeks). I did have that camera in another spot grabbing a time lapse of the entire garden beds. Took a picture every 15 minutes and on sensor motion. Now I'll be missing a months worth.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:57 AM

10,396 posts, read 7,478,326 times
Was it like watching gras grow? how long did you video it? Have you done that for years?

Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,681,566 times
Cucumbers are now flowering, I have some small grape tomatoes and waiting for the San Marzano/Marilyn Plum to flower. Potatoes are huge (at least the plants are), and we already made our first pesto yesterday yum!

I did put down some 8-8-8 fertilizer about a week ago and it seems to have done it's job, along with the soaking rains. But what we really need is some serious heat to get things pumping.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Was it like watching gras grow? how long did you video it? Have you done that for years?
Wish I did that for years, I have a camera on my roof that is taking pictures everyday so hopefully in 5 yrs I will see the landscape change and seasons change with a video of all the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Cucumbers are now flowering, I have some small grape tomatoes and waiting for the San Marzano/Marilyn Plum to flower. Potatoes are huge (at least the plants are), and we already made our first pesto yesterday yum!

I did put down some 8-8-8 fertilizer about a week ago and it seems to have done it's job, along with the soaking rains. But what we really need is some serious heat to get things pumping.
This is awesome to hear about others progress in CT. Looking good there! Did you start late? I forget. Reason why I ask is the Tomatoes look small for this time of year but hopefully they produce for you.

I've picked over 10 cucumbers and have a lot on the vines. I recommend one called National Pickling Cucumber. WOW! It's small but Yields are nuts & taste is amazing.

Couple my pics...

Can you see the cukes?

Before I pruned my Tomatoes..

After. Now they have more air flow and up off the ground a bit.

My first Fava Bean harvest,

Pasta, Chicken, Fava Beans, Cherry tomatoes, Vodka sauce.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,681,566 times
I got the plants in the garden May 22, so just over a month ago. They were seedlings planted in late April.

I also only get sun 630am-1pm. So I was a little behind. Hopefully something fruits soon.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I got the plants in the garden May 22, so just over a month ago. They were seedlings planted in late April.

I also only get sun 630am-1pm. So I was a little behind. Hopefully something fruits soon.
Ahhh, there's the 2 reasons.. I start my Tomato seeds in early-mid March. Plant outside mid May (this yr was a bit earlier)

At 6:30am the sun is still low on the horizon so does it really get sun at that point? Also we been so cloudy lately only had 3 full days of sun in 2 weeks. So you're probably only getting 5 hours when it is full sun.

What sucks about Connecticut growing seasons... It's short! Not like points north of course but by the time we get a ripe tomato we really only have 1-2 more month of yields. Thats why we have to start them indoors and get them big for transplant time.

Keep us posted. Unless they are variety of Early Treat or Early Girl you might not get a ripe tomato until August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or