Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 04:29 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times

Advertisements

I am quite familiar with the structure of the league and teams. The article makes it sound like they are talking about first teams not the U23 or U18 teams. As a soccer fan, I do hope the stadium is successful but the fact remains I don't think Dillon will ever host a first team English Premier League club. Also, if Hartford could draw an EPL team for a summer match, it would more likely be held at Rentschler Field where they can sell a ton of tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
Are you aware that there are various levels of BPL players within the framework of their Clubs ? Are you familiar with terms such as Reserve Teams, Academy Teams , etc?
The stadium will be a tremendous boost for Hartford.

Last edited by JGBigGreen; 02-16-2019 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 06:05 AM

377 posts, read 240,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I am quite familiar with the structure of the league and teams. The article makes it sound like they are talking about first teams not the U23 or U18 teams. As a soccer fan, I do hope the stadium is successful but the fact remains I don't think Dillon will ever host a first team English Premier League club. Also, if Hartford could draw an EPL team for a summer match, it would more likely be held at Rentschler Field where they can sell a ton of tickets.
My perception of the article was that it was summarizing the possibilities, with more details to folllow. I would not expect a first team to play a USL team either.But their reserve teams are not U 18 or even U 23 , they have players older, coming back from injuries, on loan, etc. Their structure is very deep as I am sure you are aware.

The team will actually be starting their season at Rentschler as Dillon will not be done. That’s a good temporary use of the stadium that mostly sits idle, and has seen their main tenant , UCONN Football continues to have dwindling attendance. As a soccer fan, I am sure you are well aware of the strong soccer community in the State , and specifically in the Hartford area. THis is a good development project involving private money, with state and city support. It is family entertainment which should always be welcome.

I hope to see you at a match !

Old 02-17-2019, 07:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:

Gillette Stadium seats 66,829. It's sold out for any International match. Rentschler Field is a bit small for that kind of thing. For Revs MLS matches, they can fill the lower bowl of the stadium when the team isn't lousy. As a .500 team, they barely draw 20,000 in good weather. As the #10 MSA with less than 5 million, Boston has a tough time getting top matches when they're in the US. Since it's all about promoting US interest in soccer, I don't see how Hartford would ever get one.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM

413 posts, read 317,131 times
Quote:

Even if the Hartford Athletic brought a Premiere League match to town, but held it the Rent, it would still be a great thing for the city

Old 02-18-2019, 09:03 PM

Of course it would be great for the city- and state. I didn’t say it wouldn’t be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Even if the Hartford Athletic brought a Premiere League match to town, but held it the Rent, it would still be a great thing for the city

Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 PM

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the reserve team structure is quite different since the disbanding of the Premier Reserve League. In essence, the U-23’s are the reserve players and next tier for the EPL first teams. Still amazing quality players who would likely still play closer to MLS level.

I agree that the soccer community in all of CT is remarkably strong and I think having a USL team is a great thing for the state and soccer here. I’ve watched a number of USL matches around the country and it can be quite entertaining. I’m relocating to Atlanta so unfortunately I’ll miss the inaugural season for the Athletic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
My perception of the article was that it was summarizing the possibilities, with more details to folllow. I would not expect a first team to play a USL team either.But their reserve teams are not U 18 or even U 23 , they have players older, coming back from injuries, on loan, etc. Their structure is very deep as I am sure you are aware.

The team will actually be starting their season at Rentschler as Dillon will not be done. That’s a good temporary use of the stadium that mostly sits idle, and has seen their main tenant , UCONN Football continues to have dwindling attendance. As a soccer fan, I am sure you are well aware of the strong soccer community in the State , and specifically in the Hartford area. THis is a good development project involving private money, with state and city support. It is family entertainment which should always be welcome.

I hope to see you at a match !

Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
A local brewpub will be taking over Pratt Street for a short time. This will be a nice addition to downtown during the college basketball playoffs at the XL Center. Hopefully if it is a success, this will happen other times of the year as well. Jay

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...pment-140.html

Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The NCAA Basketball Tournament is coming to Hartford bringing thousands of spectators and filling hotels, restaurants and bars not only in the city but the entire region. Jay

Vaunted NCAA basketball tournament returns to unlikely home in Hartford's XL Center | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 03-04-2019, 02:53 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The NCAA Basketball Tournament is coming to Hartford bringing thousands of spectators and filling hotels, restaurants and bars not only in the city but the entire region. Jay

Vaunted NCAA basketball tournament returns to unlikely home in Hartford's XL Center | HartfordBusiness.com
Better run some extra Hartford Line services!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:26 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Boston city is five times the size of Hartford, Boston metro is over eight million to Hartford's one million. Why not compare Hartford to NYC? It's silly.
Comparing it with New York is silly but I like the Boston comparison. Two New England capital cities of very similar states, founded by the same English Puritans, similar ethnic mix. Some physical similarities: an Old State House on State Street in the original downtown center and a new state house/capitol overlooking a downtown park. After Boston Hartford is the second biggest downtown office center. Both cities are small in relation to their metro areas with many suburbs and satellite cities, and lots of historical white flight out of the center city. For some reason Hartford did not retain a wealthy core residential area the way Boston did. And I think Mass may have worked harder to rejeuvenate Boston in the lean years than Conn did or has done for Hartford. Maybe not. But Conn has a big power center in the southwest corner and has always divided its attention between Hartford and New Haven whereas Mass has always been Boston-oriented (as in_newengland is wont to remind us.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut