U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 PM

25,812 posts, read 41,767,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietGuy View Post
Anyone have information on Albany Ave improvements?
They have a website. Check it out. Jay

Route 44 (Albany Avenue) – Safety Improvements Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 11:59 AM

29 posts, read 18,907 times
Thank you!

Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 PM

13,351 posts, read 7,060,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They have a website. Check it out. Jay

Route 44 (Albany Avenue) Safety Improvements Project

Is there any reason I would want to use that neighborhood? From St Francis going north on Woodland, I always take the left at the gas station onto Homestead and then the left on Granby towards Bloomfield. I'm not sure I've ever driven on that slice of Albany Avenue.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 3,584,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Is there any reason I would want to use that neighborhood? From St Francis going north on Woodland, I always take the left at the gas station onto Homestead and then the left on Granby towards Bloomfield. I'm not sure I've ever driven on that slice of Albany Avenue.
Believe it or not, Albany is steadily improving both aesthetically and in terms or quality of life. Like you, I don't have a reason to be on it since I don't shop there or rely on any services on that street, but for those who do, it's improving little by little. The roads are being repaved, the sidewalks are being widened to encourage more foot traffic, and most of the old, blighted properties that gave 44 such an unnerving presence are being demolished. The side streets are still rough and have a ways to go, but for now, it's nice to see that the main artery of this neighborhood is being repaired. IMO much of this goes back to the old broken window theory: if you pick up the trash and give a little extra attention to buildings so people don't feel that they live in a dumpy area, it can be effective in discouraging smaller, petty crimes that often lead to larger ones. Ultimately it's up to the residents and local patrons to keep it nice, and I'm not going to lie, the last few times I drove 44 all the way to downtown parts of it were still strewn with garbage, which makes me wonder if all this time and effort (and money) is worth it. The westernmost part over by Granby Street looks MUCH nicer now than it did just 3 years ago, and the old Westbrook Village housing project is about to be torn down so that's another eyesore coming down soon. I still remember the first time I drove down 44 back in 2007 before any revitalization was done, and let me tell you, it was REALLY intimidating. There was no YMCA built yet, houses on the corner of 44/Oakland Terrace stood boarded up and half collapsed, nobody was walking the street, the apartments on Albany & Vine were still abandoned and shuttered, the old police station (now being turned into green space) still stood and it just looked like a warzone. Think of Charlotte Street in the South Bronx circa 1980, and that's how it looked. It still has a ways to go, but it's improving.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:02 PM

29 posts, read 18,907 times
Quote:
You may want to one day. I'm asking because I own a few properties in DONO.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 AM

293 posts, read 149,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietGuy View Post
You may want to one day. I'm asking because I own a few properties in DONO.

As they start to build around the ball park, there will be an effect on Albany ave. The time frame is years but it will happen.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,152,951 times
Quote:
Hartford isn't going to gentrify because it's too easy to get from the suburbs to the office towers and the suburban housing market is affordable. People can get to work from houses they can afford so there's no compelling reason to move closer to work and do the urban pioneer thing. The bus lane and commuter rail were coffin nails in any notion of Hartford gentrification.
This is true. But Hartford is already REVITALIZING and can REVITALIZE further, the area around Hartford Hospital can certainly revitalize. I went to Trinity from 2012-2016, and at the end of my time i started seeing the small improvements to Hartford.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:49 PM

An Idaho insurtech, Covr Financial Technologies, is opening a second headquarters in Nassau Re's Boat Building downtown. Jay

Idaho insurtech lands in downtown Hartford | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 04-24-2019, 07:18 AM

293 posts, read 149,744 times
Now sure what this related to but it is pretty cool and done very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CK...cb4CBH6vouZ91g

Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Just heard that the first home game for the Hartford Athletics soccer team had 11,000 spectators. That is great news and bodes well for the team and professional soccer here in greater Hartford. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or