Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM

26 posts, read 118,798 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've been lurking on the CT boards for sometime and have really enjoyed the lively discourse.

I am a single, 32-yr-old female considering a transfer to my company's Hartford office. Everyone I've spoken to who either lives or has lived in the Hartford area has told me, unequivocally, to look for housing in the suburbs. But I have to ask - isn't there any area of Hartford proper that is safe enough to call home?

I am a Tampa native and know a little about staying safe in the city. There are obviously some common-sense behaviors that an individual, especially a female, should take to be safe in an urban area. I always keep my doors locked, stay aware of my surroundings, and don't go walking around the city alone at night. With that in mind, I am still hopeful that there's at least some part of Hartford I could be comfortable living in.

I am planning my first visit to the area in May and would love to start doing some preliminary house/condo hunting. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 11:13 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Hartford has come a long way compared to 10-15 year ago- the suburbs of Hartford offer a more 'secure' existence- but there are areas of Hartford there are rising-and offer much to singles. The west end, and south end offer a gritty yet urban sophistication, that while not perfect is benign compared to may other urban areas nationally.

Hartford has a crime rate that is considered a 'problem' but compared to Tampa, it is about the same. West Hartford, Avon, Simsbury NW of Hartford are idyllic towns; while Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, & Cromwell to the south are equally attractive. South Windsor, Glastonbury, Vernon & Ellington all towns east of the Connecticut River are all great towns with a very low crime rate and offer a quality of life.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Is there any compelling reason why you would choose to live in Hartford? I lived in West Hartford and my commute to Hartford (Farmington Av/Sigourney) was a whopping 4 miles!! Can't beat that, plus you still don't have to hop on to I-84...

Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 AM

26 posts, read 118,798 times
Sky - thanks for the suggestions. I will put these towns on my list of places to check out in May.

Bibit - I'm not dead-set on living in Hartford, I just hate to rule it out completely. From what I've read, it's an architecturally beautiful city in the early stages of urban renewal. I think that's exciting and want to be a part of it. At the same time, though, I don't want to foolishly move into an area in which I will feel unsafe.

I have heard a lot of great things about West Hartford and am already planning on visiting the town. The only drawback I can see there is that I believe the home prices will be a bit out of my reach.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedHouse View Post
Sky - thanks for the suggestions. I will put these towns on my list of places to check out in May.

Bibit - I'm not dead-set on living in Hartford, I just hate to rule it out completely. From what I've read, it's an architecturally beautiful city in the early stages of urban renewal. I think that's exciting and want to be a part of it. At the same time, though, I don't want to foolishly move into an area in which I will feel unsafe.

I have heard a lot of great things about West Hartford and am already planning on visiting the town. The only drawback I can see there is that I believe the home prices will be a bit out of my reach.

You'd be surprised that the range of prices for homes in WH are big, delineated by the schools, so there will be one in your price point. The good area of Hartford IMO would be expensive, like those huge stately Victorians on Asylum (loved to have lived there but won't send my kids to Hartford, and can't afford Kingswood Oxford!) Best of luck in your search. I can recommend my realtor to you if you want...just send me a PM.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM

43 posts, read 105,502 times
Glastonbury for sure... I lived there for almost ten years and I regret moving. It's a large town, but has a small town feel to it... and it's only 15 minutes from Hartford.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
The West End of Hartford is absolutley fine. Minimal crime (I think 1 violent crime in the full year 2007) and beautiful homes. This is the area west of the Park River and north of Farmington Avenue. Homes start at 300,000. Rents are around 1000/ month and up.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedHouse View Post

One thing to keep in mind is that the city limits of Hartford are very small and the "burbs" are far from the Tampa standard of subdivision land.

You might be surprised at how if you were not told you crossed into West Hartford, you would not know it. Same for the North side of Weathersfield.

What I'm getting at is, living in a "burb" doesn't relagate you to subdivision h*ll like most cities in FL. The entire area is architecturally beautiful for the most part with each surrounding town and small city having it's own identity and fingerprint so to speak.

So unless you are bent on living among the tall buildings or simply just want to live in Hartford, the question is not so much "can" as it would be "why". If you want to be one of the early people taking part of the urban renewal - more power to you.

If you do stay in Hartford, look into downtown, behind the rocks, and the West end/side IMHO. The rest is still a bit too sketchy for this guy to say "no problem" with a clear conscience.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM

35 posts, read 142,784 times
You have 2 choices: West End and downtown. I wouldn't consider living in any other part of Hartford.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the city limits of Hartford are very small and the "burbs" are far from the Tampa standard of subdivision land.

You might be surprised at how if you were not told you crossed into West Hartford, you would not know it. Same for the North side of Weathersfield.

What I'm getting at is, living in a "burb" doesn't relagate you to subdivision h*ll like most cities in FL. The entire area is architecturally beautiful for the most part with each surrounding town and small city having it's own identity and fingerprint so to speak.

So unless you are bent on living among the tall buildings or simply just want to live in Hartford, the question is not so much "can" as it would be "why". If you want to be one of the early people taking part of the urban renewal - more power to you.

If you do stay in Hartford, look into downtown, behind the rocks, and the West end/side IMHO. The rest is still a bit too sketchy for this guy to say "no problem" with a clear conscience.

Good luck!
Well said Jviello - New England is not like the sprawl of the rest of the country. The cities and towns are small area-wise and have sort of merged into each other. you do not know that you have passed over that invisible line from one town into another. thnaks for explaining it so well. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut