Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

1pm once again incredible. Dry heat is not something we're used to in CT!

Surface front south of NYC and a NW Flow type pattern upper levels.

Temps in the 70s and 80s across this entire viewing area below except northern Maine in the 60s and these are the dewpoints.

My backyard..
Temp: 80
Dewpoint: 51
Sky: Blue
Air: Bit of haze
Feeling: Tolerable and Amazed

Old 06-24-2016, 11:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
1pm once again incredible. Dry heat is not something we're used to in CT!

Surface front south of NYC and a NW Flow type pattern upper levels.

Temps in the 70s and 80s across this entire viewing area below except northern Maine in the 60s and these are the dewpoints.

My backyard..
Temp: 80
Dewpoint: 51
Sky: Blue
Air: Bit of haze
Feeling: Tolerable and Amazed

Its phenomenal...we have experienced some unique weather this month....makes me realize it IS thehumidity that gets us. Though 110-120 like Arizona right now is still pure pain..don't let them kid you. But 80-85 dry dewpoints? ??? nothing better.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:15 PM

June 21 update.

I don't usually talk about drought for this area but with a La Nina coming, I think I should.

Northeast is now 61% abnormally dry compared to 47% last week. NYC metro including southern Fairfield County is now D1 status. Including parts of Litchfield and Hartford Counties.

Sycamore trees are about to go extinct if this continues.

United States Drought Monitor > Home

I didn't realize they had a summary for all regions. Very cool!

Quote:
National Drought Summary for June 21, 2016

Summary

Please note any rain which fell after Tuesday morning, 8 a.m. EDT, will be incorporated into next week’s drought assessment. For the 7-day period ending June 21, hot weather intensified or expanded from southern California and the Southwest across the Plains and interior Southeast. Cooler-than-normal conditions for the week were confined mostly to the Northwest. Rain was intermittent, albeit locally heavy, from the Upper Midwest to the Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern States. Despite the locally heavy showers and thunderstorms, the overall trend toward drought persistence or expansion prevailed across many areas east of the Rockies.

Mid-Atlantic and Northeast

Dry conditions prevailed over much of the region, though well-placed showers (1-2 inches) in southwestern Pennsylvanian and environs led to the removal of Moderate Drought (D1) and a reduction of Abnormal Dryness (D0) across the central Appalachians. In contrast, D0 and D1 were increased from New York into New England due to declining streamflows (locally below the 10th percentile) and a lack of rain over the past 90 days (less than half of normal). In fact, many of the Northeast’s D1 areas are now running rainfall deficits in excess of 6 inches over the past 6 months.

Southeast and Tennessee

Despite locally heavy showers, most of the region’s existing Moderate (D1) to Severe (D2) Drought areas reported little — if any — rainfall during the period. The crux of the heaviest rain (2-6 inches) fell over southern and west-central Alabama, affording some localized drought relief in these areas. Across interior portions of the Southeast, soil moisture continued to decline rapidly; according to USDA-NASS, topsoil moisture was rated 46, 42, and 35 percent poor to very poor in Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee, respectively. To further illustrate the dryness, 90-day rainfall over the newly-expanded D2 area from northern Georgia into western North Carolina has totaled a meager 60 percent of normal or less, and in some areas below 40 percent. Farther north in Tennessee, dryness continued to intensify in eastern portions of the state, where 30-day rainfall has measured 40 percent of normal or less.

Midwest and lower Ohio Valley

Warm, mostly dry conditions prevailed in the region’s Abnormally Dry (D0) and Moderate Drought (D1) areas. Despite impressive weekly rainfall totals (1-4 inches, locally more) during the period, much of the rain fell outside areas most in need of moisture. Nevertheless, locally well-placed rainfall led to a reduction in D0 or D1, particularly in central Indiana and from northern Illinois into Wisconsin and Minnesota. In contrast, a lack of rain in southern Iowa and northeastern Missouri over the past 60 days (40-60 percent of normal) led to the introduction of D1. Topsoil moisture continued to decline, particularly in southern and eastern portions of the region, and was rated 54 percent short to very short as of June 19 in Missouri by USDA-NASS; 47 percent in Michigan; and 30 percent or more in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

Northern Plains

Hot, dry conditions caused drought conditions to intensify locally. While showers and below-normal temperatures were noted over northern-most portions of the region, excessive heat (100-108°F) and a lack of rain caused rapid — albeit localized — drought intensification farther south. Areas hardest hit by the heat and dryness extend from northeastern Wyoming into western South Dakota, with some Abnormal Dryness (D0) extending into North Dakota. Severe Drought (D2) expanded to encapsulate areas that have received less than 60 percent of normal (locally less than 50 percent) rainfall over the past 90 days. Furthermore, satellite-derived vegetation health data as well as reports from the field indicated conditions are deteriorating quickly for crops and pastures, and this region will need rain soon to prevent these areas from slipping into Extreme Drought (D3).

Central and Southern Plains

Although the region is mostly drought free, excessive heat (100°F or greater) coupled with pronounced short-term dryness necessitated the introduction of Abnormal Dryness (D0) in central and eastern Oklahoma as well as southeastern Kansas. Over the past 60 days, these D0 areas have reported 40 to 60 percent of normal rainfall, and a rapid descent into drought is imminent if rain does not materialize soon. Another pocket of D0 was introduced in south-central Nebraska, while Moderate Drought (D1) in northwestern Nebraska coincided with excessive heat and pronounced short-term dryness.

Looking Ahead

A pair of disturbances will continue to track east along a stalled frontal boundary, producing a swath of moderate to heavy rain (1 to 3 inches, locally more) from the lower Great Lakes into the Mid-Atlantic States. Somewhat spottier showers will develop south of the front from the middle Mississippi Valley into the Carolinas, though some of this rain could be locally heavy as well. Farther west, a pair of upper-air disturbances will trigger scattered showers and thunderstorms, the first over the central Plains and middle Mississippi Valley, while the second moves into the Northwest. In contrast, hot, mostly dry weather will prevail across Texas, Oklahoma, and much of the West. The NWS 6- to 10-day outlook for June 28 – July 2 calls for above-normal temperatures in the Northeast, Gulf Coast, and from the Plains to the Pacific Coast States. Conversely, cooler-than-normal weather is anticipated across the Corn Belt and Tennessee Valley. Above-normal rainfall is expected across much of the southern and eastern U.S., including the Four Corners, while drier-than-normal conditions prevail from the Northwest into the Great Lakes Region.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Just took this of my lawn in one area.. I refuse to water mine.... never! lol

But another area of my front yard looks like this, you can tell it's starting.

1/4" downpours don't go deep.

I learned slow watering is the best for plants and grass...we haven't gotten that in weeks now. And 80s isn't helping. If we start getting 90s without rains, goodbye

Old 06-25-2016, 01:10 PM

INCREDIBLE.

At Bridgeport dew point dropped to mid 40s just now with temp at 80°. WTF? AWESOME dry heat..or warmth!

IEM :: Site Meteorograms

Old 06-25-2016, 02:27 PM

4pm June 25th

Just simply AMAZING!

Almost 90 in Willimantic with dews in the upper 40s.

Here's the set up . We have a Northwest flow yet close to the ridge. It's 90s up in Minnesota so the jet stream is carrying all that heat and down sloping off the mountains into CT.

Kinda surprising actually we're this dry but the next map will help..

Front is all the way down in the Carolinas and a Big Ole High Pressure over us! THATS where I want the Highs, not over Bermuda!

Old 06-26-2016, 12:26 PM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
I was in Missouri for the week, and all I gotta say is I'm glad to be back in CT. The heat and humidity there was very oppressive compared to CT. Much drier and cooler here. It was close to 100 and at times above it.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:37 AM

123 posts, read 95,847 times
The upcoming forecast looks scary. Heat and somewhat humid.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTweddingDJ View Post
The upcoming forecast looks scary. Heat and somewhat humid.
Really? Not showing any 90s even in NYC through the Fourth. A lot of mid and upper 80s with low humidity only a bit more than what weve been having. If youre talking beyond the Fourth well it is July what do you expect?

And on and off rain tomorrow

Old 06-27-2016, 07:55 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Feels yucky out there today. I think the low dewpoints are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut