Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Stay in CT 19 24.05%
Move to OH 60 75.95%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:06 AM

720 posts, read 919,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah I am single. Columbus has 6 times the gay population of FFC, and about 30% larger than the entire state of CT.

I agree with you that the Columbus metro is somewhat bland, especially compared to CT. It's impressive, clean and nice, but bland, yes.

I never care to go to NYC or Boston, as I'm not a city person.

Columbus is only a 1.5 hr drive to Cincinnati and 2.5 hrs to Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Not that I care about any of those cities either. I mean, who cares about proximity to a city?

It is a tough call indeed. I am leaning toward staying in CT, I think, but depressed about the reality that I'll probably have to stay in FFC for longer than anticipated. If I decline the Columbus offers, then I'll probably spend about two more months looking for jobs in Hartford or New Haven. If that still doesn't work out, then I'll just admit defeat and move into another, better, quieter apartment in Norwalk for under $2,000 a month.

Columbus is only a 1.5 hr drive to Cincinnati and 2.5 hrs to Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Not that I care about any of those cities either. I mean, who cares about proximity to a city?

Everyone!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 AM

830 posts, read 684,613 times
Quote:
True, but I'm not a money focused person, really. I don't care about career advancement or making six figures and all that baloney. I care more about quality of life, health, happiness, relationships and experiences.
Making more money should absolutely improve your quality of life. I'm not talking about living a lavish lifestyle, but getting to a point where you're not necessarily having to stress over expenses, like you're currently doing. You live in CT-NY metro, nep. If you enable yourself to live comfortably and content, your own happiness will follow, and that will foster healthy relationships, I guarantee. Focus on what you already have and build on it.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM

678 posts, read 847,077 times
Nep has a solid point though. If making more money entails working 60+ hours, it just might not be worth it. I'd rather work 40, earn what Nep does, and stay in top shape and get my 8 hours of sleep with remaining time for activities.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:51 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
I just wanted to share with you all that I have begun my job search a month ago and was looking in both CT (Hartford, New Haven areas) and also Columbus, OH (based on research and recommendations). I have applied to 10 jobs in CT, which yielded one interview request, which I turned down because it would have been a bad career move. And I applied to 12 jobs in Columbus, which yielded 3 interviews and 2 offers. I traveled and visited Columbus from Sat-Tue to do my interviews. Now, I have to make a decision by tonight so that I can tell the hiring managers tomorrow whether I accept or not.

And now I am freaking out. Like...is this for real?

It is with mixed emotions that I am now presented with the choice of staying in Fairfield County or relocating to Columbus later this month. When I visited Columbus, I found the metro area as a whole to be very impressive, and had a vast array of housing options, neighborhoods, both old and plenty of new construction everywhere. I was impressed with the large, vibrant gay community, the nightlife and amenities that the city and metro has to offer. People are educated and there are great healthcare institutions all over. The city is very safe, clean and progressive, with gays holding hands and kissing in public, etc. And I had the opportunity to drive on the beltway during rush hour and it was a breeze (no traffic....sweet!) The only thing I didn't like was the higher obesity rate and about half of the people had Midwestern accents. I was surprised that I actually enjoyed the landscape and scenery, with wide open spaces, with lots of greenery, trees and some access to the hills of the northern Appalachians within an hour's drive. The whole metro reminded me of Florida, in a way, with all the new construction everywhere, ponds with water fountains all over the place, etc. And it's in a good climate that runs on the same latitude as Philly.

So, I have been offered a job with overall pay being 29% less than what I make in Stamford (salary + bonus). And only 14 PTO days (instead of 23 that I get now), slightly worse healthcare benefits, and worse 401K matching. However, I would still be able to save about $15K per year after all expenses. And with the mountain of cash that I have saved up, I could put a 40% down payment on a home next year on a nice house and only pay $680 a month. My income tax rate bracket would be 3.76% instead of 5.5%. And property taxes would be around $2,000 instead of $8,000 a year! No motor vehicle tax either.

Or, I could continue living in FFC, which means I would essentially have to continue renting for 10 more years at $1,750 per month, with a very small gay community and horrible traffic.

I don't know what to do. I mean, I am used to the east coast, because I'm from here. My family is only a 90-min drive away. Living in central Ohio means I would have to pay $500 just for airfare each time. Or drive 10 hours to see them.

I honestly don't believe I could get a job in CT outside of FFC. I tried last year for 5 months straight, and again now, with no luck or interest whatsoever. And with these new tax increases, I don't see the situation getting better.

What should I do?!
If this thread was anyone but NEP it would have about 3 responses...how do you do it NEP?

My advice is move. You need to exhaust every opportunity to change before you will finally settle on something.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:59 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
If this thread was anyone but NEP it would have about 3 responses...how do you do it NEP?

My advice is move. You need to exhaust every opportunity to change before you will finally settle on something.
It'll be the biggest regret of his life if he doesn't do it. Seems like a no-brainer.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I ACCEPTED THE OFFER!!!

I'm moving to Columbus and the job begins on June 29th.

I figured...it's really now or never. After spending a long 6-8 damn years on these forums, I think I finally found a place that I could actually enjoy living in. It has everything I want, from affordable housing, jobs, large gay community, strong future, four seasons and isn't too big or too small, has easy traffic, and is progressive with politics. The whole metro area overall is very impressive to any reasonable person, too. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

Even with the dramatic pay reduction, I don't really care, because guess what? Next year I'll be able to put 40% down on a NICE house, with all the money I saved up from working in Stamford, thereby giving me a monthly home payment of $680, starting next year. That's a hell of a lot better than paying $1,750 a month in rent for years and years to come. Property taxes will be $2,000 a year instead of $8,000. Add all of that up, and we're talking like $18K a year saved in taxes and home payments.

As for the family thing, the truth of the matter is that even if I continue living in CT with family nearby, it's one of those things I take for granted, while living here, and it doesn't necessarily make me happier.

But I want to make myself clear about one thing. I'm not leaving CT because I "hate" it. I don't hate it. I'm not one of those pessimistic CT people. I hope the state improves and does well going forward, as there is a LOT to like about CT. But the reality is....that it's highly unlikely that I'll be able to live in the part of CT that I actually want to live in. To me, Fairfield County is not the CT that I like. Not even close.

I am sorry to put you all through 6 years of drama. I just wanted to travel, explore, research, discuss and really make a good decision that works for me. I'm 31 now. No more waiting.

And even if this job isn't the greatest, at least I'll be in the metro area that has the #1 most corporate headquarters per capita in the nation, which is great for my career. And hey....they wear jeans everyday. And it has professionally landscaped grounds and a full service cafeteria.

Thanks for listening!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:26 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,823 times
No need to apologize for putting us through drama, if people wanted to avoid your posts, they could simply not read them.

good luck to you. change is good for the soul, getting out of your comfort zone will make you stronger!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Great! Sometimes an important decision like that takes time. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
I ACCEPTED THE OFFER!!!

I figured...it's really now or never. After spending a long 6-8 damn years on these forums, I think I finally found a place that I could actually enjoy living in. It has everything I want, from affordable housing, jobs, large gay community, strong future, four seasons and isn't too big or too small, has easy traffic, and is progressive with politics. The whole metro area overall is very impressive to any reasonable person, too. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

Even with the dramatic pay reduction, I don't really care, because guess what? Next year I'll be able to put 40% down on a NICE house, with all the money I saved up from working in Stamford, thereby giving me a monthly home payment of $680, starting next year. That's a hell of a lot better than paying $1,750 a month in rent for years and years to come. Property taxes will be $2,000 a year instead of $8,000. Add all of that up, and we're talking like $18K a year saved in taxes and home payments.

As for the family thing, the truth of the matter is that even if I continue living in CT with family nearby, it's one of those things I take for granted, while living here, and it doesn't necessarily make me happier.

But I want to make myself clear about one thing. I'm not leaving CT because I "hate" it. I don't hate it. I'm not one of those pessimistic CT people. I hope the state improves and does well going forward, as there is a LOT to like about CT. But the reality is....that it's highly unlikely that I'll be able to live in the part of CT that I actually want to live in. To me, Fairfield County is not the CT that I like. Not even close.

I am sorry to put you all through 6 years of drama. I just wanted to travel, explore, research, discuss and really make a good decision that works for me. I'm 31 now. No more waiting.

And even if this job isn't the greatest, at least I'll be in the metro area that has the #1 most corporate headquarters per capita in the nation, which is great for my career. And hey....they wear jeans everyday. And it has professionally landscaped grounds and a full service cafeteria.

Thanks for listening!
Good luck. Don't have a melt down the first time something goes wrong out there. Give it a REAL CHANCE this time. Not a Charlotte chance.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:46 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
I ACCEPTED THE OFFER!!!

Thanks for listening!

Best of luck NEP. We'll have to look for you on the Ohio boards....Just pls determine where the other 12K in savings is going to come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut