Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Which sounds a lot like this:
Search Connecticut High Schools | US News
U.S. News claims to adjust for socioeconomic factors and include a college readiness component (AP classes taken and passed). Neither Bunnell nor Stratford score particularly well, while the maligned Shelton HS is in the top 50 in the state.
I'd say U.S. News didn't adjust anything given their top three schools are selective schools and the following are all wealthy to upper middle class schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:27 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Brien McMahon #41?? I think not!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Depends on your budget. If you have a bigger budget, Fairfield is a great town. Trumbull is a bit less expensive, and a good option for a moderate budget. Shelton, Milford, and Orange are great values and you'll get the most for your money. In Milford, buying a house that's districted for Foran High School is probably wise as that school is doing well these days.

I have heard from actual parents that Stratford schools are decent, and homes are affordable - but taxes are fairly high compared to neighboring Milford and Shelton.
Law HS is doing well. The two high schools (like most two high school towns) work together, have the same curriculum, collaborate constantly, and have teachers traveling between the two schools. I've always found these arguments that one high school is better - whether it be Bunnell over Stratford, Foran over Law, Hall over Conard - to be nothing more than at attempt of one-upmanship by insecure people. Not speaking about Stylo, just the people who claim they are better.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:15 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I heard it was the better HS by staff, of course they might be biased as they work at Foran! Supposedly the new principle is great though.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I heard it was the better HS by staff, of course they might be biased as they work at Foran! Supposedly the new principle is great though.
Yes...and he came from Stratford.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:48 AM
wnd wnd started this thread

3 posts, read 2,468 times
There are two high schoold and three middle schools in FairField CT. Any thoughts about which one is better than the others or what's the difference.

In MA most of the towns have only one HS.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd View Post
There are two high schoold and three middle schools in FairField CT. Any thoughts about which one is better than the others or what's the difference.

In MA most of the towns have only one HS.
Both Ward and Ludlowe offer AMAZING educations. There isn't much of a difference. I don't know about demographics now, but 15 years ago it seemed the wealthiest kids were at Ludlowe...and so were the kids from the "poorest" areas of Fairfield

As I said before, of the few towns in CT that have more than one high school (and I think that number is under 20 with most of them being along the coast) - are under the same central office, offer the same curriculum, are in constant collaboration and conversation, and have employees working both schools. Redistricting has happened many times in these towns and those parents that experienced will likely tell you their kids' educations remained the same. Be involved in your kids education and you will be good.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Both Ward and Ludlowe offer AMAZING educations. There isn't much of a difference. I don't know about demographics now, but 15 years ago it seemed the wealthiest kids were at Ludlowe...and so were the kids from the "poorest" areas of Fairfield

As I said before, of the few towns in CT that have more than one high school (and I think that number is under 20 with most of them being along the coast) - are under the same central office, offer the same curriculum, are in constant collaboration and conversation, and have employees working both schools. Redistricting has happened many times in these towns and those parents that experienced will likely tell you their kids' educations remained the same. Be involved in your kids education and you will be good.
The line for the two high schools in Fairfield are not the same as they used to be. Years back Andrew Warde served the eastern half of town and Ludlowe served the wealthier west half. Now the line is more east/west with portions of Greenfield Hill going to Warde and portions of Holland Hill going to Ludlowe. I believe this was done to reduce the possible racial/socio-economic inequalities that may exist in the future.

Still I agree that both high schools offer excellent educations. Both schools perform well above the state averages on the Connecticut Academic Performance Tests and offer basically the same curriculum and programs. I would worry less about which school is better and more about finding a home the meets your needs and desires. Jay

Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Don't forget Platt Tech in Milford, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut