Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM

50 posts, read 185,300 times

Advertisements

I would like to get an idea of what food costs are like in CT.

The State I live in right now is, they also tax food, clothing.

The Area I am looking at is W. Hartford, I am a single mom, 2 older kids and I would like to get an idea of the cost of groceries? does CT have seasonal local Farmer's Markets?, food co-op's?, is food taxed there? does each area have a differant sales tax amount? or is there a set sales tax within the state itself?

I realize I am asking alot of questions but I do want to be as well prepared as I can be, I just know that our ecomomy is not doing well and believe we are in fact headed for a recession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:59 AM

31 posts, read 185,812 times
check out Peapod Online Grocery Shopping and Delivery Service. Its Stop & Shop's online grocery store.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:42 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Food is not taxed here- nor are prescription drugs or vitamins.

There is a state sales tax of 6%; There is no county or local taxes- the state sales tax is uniform throughout the entire state. The only item taxes locally in each town will be motor vehicles. Clothing and foot wear items are not taxed if under $50.00. There is a state income tax of about 4.5%.

Some towns have 'Farmers Markets' in the summer, where local produce and goods can be purchased. Farms throughout the state during the summer will sell local produce. The local supermarkets sell Connecticut grown products when in season.

A gallon of milk 1% in a convenience store is about $3.29. Atlantic Salmon fillet 5-7 dollars a pound. Fresh veggies- $1.99 a pound at some stores for red peppers, $1.49 a pound for romaine lettuce, $1.25 for 1 pound of organic carrots,
Breakfast cereal (General Mills) on sale- 12 oz 2 for 5 dollars--hope this helps.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-22-2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 AM

113 posts, read 439,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Food is not taxed here- nor are prescription drugs or vitamins.

There is a state sales tax of 6%; There is no county or local taxes- the state sales tax is uniform throughout the entire state. The only item taxes locally in each town will be motor vehicles. Clothing and foot wear items are not taxed if under $50.00. There is a state income tax of about 4.5%.

Some towns have 'Farmers Markets' in the summer, where local produce and goods can be purchased. Farms throughout the state during the summer will sell local produce. The local supermarkets sell Connecticut grown products when in season.

A gallon of milk 1% in a convenience store is about $3.29. Atlantic Salmon fillet 5-7 dollars a pound. Fresh veggies- $1.99 a pound at some stores for red peppers, $1.49 a pound for romaine lettuce, $1.25 for 1 pound of organic carrots,
Breakfast cereal (General Mills) on sale- 12 oz 2 for 5 dollars--hope this helps.

Sky,

I thought shoes were only taxed if over $75, are the shoes taxed on the remaining balance over the 50 ? Are there any tax free days? Here in Texas we have a tax free weekend to help with back to school.
Thanks

Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojofree View Post
Sky,

I thought shoes were only taxed if over $75, are the shoes taxed on the remaining balance over the 50 ? Are there any tax free days? Here in Texas we have a tax free weekend to help with back to school.
Thanks
We do have a tax-free weekend (usually the last full week in August) where the exemption goes from $50 (single item) to $300. (The school year typically runs from after-Labor Day to the 3rd week in June.)

As for the price of a gallon of milk, it's closer to $4.79 - $4.99 for a gallon of Skim Milk (or, to be politically correct, "fat-free") at Stop & Shop or Price Chopper. I don't go to convenience stores.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Rich

I got that information at the state of Connecticut web site. I am not a tax accountant- so I do the best I can in providing information- a mere $25 difference is not going to shake the earth

DRS: SN 2003(3), Sales and Use Taxes on Retail Sales of Clothing

Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Rich

I got that information at the state of Connecticut web site. I am not a tax accountant- so I do the best I can in providing information- a mere $25 difference is not going to shake the earth

DRS: SN 2003(3), Sales and Use Taxes on Retail Sales of Clothing
Hi Skytrekker,

I agreed with you: someone else mentioned the $75 threshold which was once discussed but never approved by the legislature.

Rich

Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I can not believe that southern states charge tax on grocery items. That is ridiculous. Connecticut does not charge tax on grocery items bought in a store, but does tax food bought in restaurants.

Connecticut has a tax free period for clothing and shoes that is a week or two in August just before the start of school. There are a lot of local farm stands around selling local produce. Love when they open up because they offer the freshest produce around and the prices are reasonable. you can't beat fresh local corn for sweetness and flavor. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut