Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 9,637 times

Advertisements

Hi there...

I wrote a post a while back saying I took a job in Hamden, and my boyfriend was planning to commute to NYC. Based on a variety of factors - including your advice (thank you!) - he decided to focus on finding a job in CT. We're planning to move near the Hamden area.

We've been focusing on renting a property this year in North Haven or Wallingford (and looking a bit less seriously at East Haven, Milford and Orange), but we're having a really tough time finding a place. I have a 10-year-old, and we have a cat and a chihuahua. So we need a pet-friendly home in a good school district. We're looking to stay under $2,000 per month. Preferably a 3-bedroom, but we'll take a 2-BR with some office space.

Other than scouring craigslist, Trulia and Zillow, do you have any recommendations for a rental agent or some other local site I could be using to find properties? We're looking to move by the end of July, so we're in a bit of a crunch here.

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 PM

642 posts, read 858,819 times
I like to use coldwekkbankermoves.com to look up properties and rentals. I am sure there are other good sites though. Here is a sweet little house in Hamden in your price range.

511 Mix Ave, Hamden, CT 06514 (MLS# N10023613) - Hamden CT Real Estate - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

I have a few relatives in both Hamden and North Haven and I get the impression that North Haven has better schools but I may be wrong. I also think that all of North Haven is very good but there are a few areas of Hamden that are not the greatest. The people on here that know the New Haven area will tell you more and if I am correct or not on my assumptions.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM

My job is in Hamden, so we're looking at neighborhoods fairly close. I'll take a look at this property. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:44 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times
I'd keep away from Hamden. There are plenty of nicer towns that are just minutes away. Wallingford, Cheshire, North Haven. All with much lower tax rates, better schools, better municipalities, etc. the same house in Hamden as these towns will literally cost thousands more in taxes alone.

I love Wallingford, the cheaper utilities helps a lot and plenty of shopping options. Without having to go far.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM

642 posts, read 858,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I'd keep away from Hamden. There are plenty of nicer towns that are just minutes away. Wallingford, Cheshire, North Haven. All with much lower tax rates, better schools, better municipalities, etc. the same house in Hamden as these towns will literally cost thousands more in taxes alone.

I love Wallingford, the cheaper utilities helps a lot and plenty of shopping options. Without having to go far.
Sorry, I saw Hamden in the original post and in my mind thought she wanted to look to rent there too, my bad. My aunt moved to Hamden (up near Dixwell Ave.) but she is older and does not have to worry about the schools. That is why I said North Haven is better.

BTW, you are correct about the taxes in Hamden, they are going sky high. My aunts taxes are higher than mine and I live in Fairfield County.

I knew there would be others on here who could steer you in the right direction.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Taxes mean nothing to them, they are renting.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 PM

We want to rent the first year or two until we get a better idea of our long-term situation. I'd like to settle in the general area we'd like to live permanently, though, so I can keep the school situation stable for my son.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:46 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
If good schools are important then I would not recommend Hamden. Schools in Hamden perform under that state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. This does not necessarily mean the schools there are bad though. The link below will take you to information about all schools in Connecticut. If good schools are important to you I generally look for schools that perform at or above the state averages on these tests.

State Department of Education - CEDaR

That said I agree with the others that you should look in Wallingford or North Haven. Both are nice towns with good schools and a lot of activities for families. If you do decide on Hamden though, I would try and stay north of the parkway (Route 15). Some areas closer to New Haven do get sketchy. Good luck, Jay

Old 06-23-2015, 03:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I like to use coldwekkbankermoves.com to look up properties and rentals. I am sure there are other good sites though. Here is a sweet little house in Hamden in your price range.

511 Mix Ave, Hamden, CT 06514 (MLS# N10023613) - Hamden CT Real Estate - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

I have a few relatives in both Hamden and North Haven and I get the impression that North Haven has better schools but I may be wrong. I also think that all of North Haven is very good but there are a few areas of Hamden that are not the greatest. The people on here that know the New Haven area will tell you more and if I am correct or not on my assumptions.
No pets allowed for that.

In North Haven, there's a house not far from mine that has a for rent sign out front. I can't recall which house it is, I just remember seeing it when I drove home from somewhere a couple days ago. If I remember to make note of it next time I pass it I'll let you know where it is. Pretty sure it's Pool Road, in which case it's easy access to both I-91 and Rte 15, walking distance to parks and supermarkets, but "behind" the commercial section on a secondary road, so it has the feel of a much more secluded suburban area even though it's right near the middle of town.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No pets allowed for that.

In North Haven, there's a house not far from mine that has a for rent sign out front. I can't recall which house it is, I just remember seeing it when I drove home from somewhere a couple days ago. If I remember to make note of it next time I pass it I'll let you know where it is. Pretty sure it's Pool Road, in which case it's easy access to both I-91 and Rte 15, walking distance to parks and supermarkets, but "behind" the commercial section on a secondary road, so it has the feel of a much more secluded suburban area even though it's right near the middle of town.
If you happen to drive by, I'd appreciate the info! That would be wonderful. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut