Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM

113 posts, read 439,509 times

Advertisements

Are property tax deductions given for disabled veterans? If so, What is the amount of the discount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
You may qualify just based on veteran status. I would call your town's tax collector office and they should be able to give you more information.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 PM

51 posts, read 194,353 times
We're in the process of doing this. You need to turn in your DD214 to the Town/City Clerk's office. They will process you for the deduction. It is a state mandated Veteran's Benefit.

Here's more info:

PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION PROGRAM

Veterans who served during wartime are eligible for a reduction on the assessed value of their property, if they own property in town, or on their motor vehicle if they do not own property in town. To claim an exemption, veterans must present an original or certified copy of their Honorable Discharge papers (DD-214 Form) to their Town Clerk’s office for filing with the town's land records. Exemptions must be claimed by October 1 for the current and following assessment years. For income qualified veterans, an application must be filed biennially with the Assessor's office of their town of residence between February 1 and October 1.

WHO QUALIFIES FOR EXEMPTIONS

Veterans who served in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard are eligible for exemptions if they served in wartime. Wartime service must have lasted at least 90 days, unless the veteran left service due to a service-related disability or the military action lasted less than 90 days. Income eligible veterans can also qualify for a higher exemption amount.

EXEMPTION AMOUNTS

All wartime veterans are eligible for an exemption of at least $1,500. Veterans with an income less than $29,800, if unmarried, and $36,500, if married, are eligible for an additional exemption up to $1,000.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 AM

113 posts, read 439,509 times
Thank-you Movin2ct,
My husband served during peace time, but broke his back while jumping out of an aircraft. He does have his honorable discharge and does receive disability compensation from it. So does he still qualify?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 AM

The way I read the regulation is that he needs to have served during war time. He doesn't have to have served in a combat zone though. If he served for at least 90 days since 8/2/90, he qualifies. If he was medically discharged after 8/2/90, but didn't serve a full 90 days during war time, he probably still qualifies. Hope that helps!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 AM

37 posts, read 112,537 times
I just read this thread and got excited about a possible exemption (my husband served during the war). However, it looks like it is income restrictive and that each town sets their limit. In my town, the limit for a married couple is $21,000 or $12,000 for single. (There is absolutely no way you could own property in this town if that is what your income is..even with an exemption of $1500!)

There may be other towns in CT that offer something better than this.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM

50 posts, read 185,208 times
The place I currently reside in offers 50% off to BOTH qualified Veterans and Seniors & Disabled people. it does not take into account your income, the main qualifier is that you reside in the home itself. example: if you had multiple properties that were say, rentals, that would disqualify you.

HTH

Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activemom View Post
I just read this thread and got excited about a possible exemption (my husband served during the war). However, it looks like it is income restrictive and that each town sets their limit. In my town, the limit for a married couple is $21,000 or $12,000 for single. (There is absolutely no way you could own property in this town if that is what your income is..even with an exemption of $1500!)

There may be other towns in CT that offer something better than this.
There is a part that is income restrictive, and a part that you receive regardless of income. The $1500.00 is not income restrictive. HTH!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 PM

37 posts, read 112,537 times
Here's the email I got from the state when I posed the question:

Please be advised that you must apply through the Assessor’s Office of the municipality where you reside. You do not have to be disabled in order to qualify for the Veteran’s Exemption. The income limits are $29,800 for a single applicant and $36,500 for a married applicant. You must have served at least 90 days during a war or campaign unless the war or campaign lasted less than 90 days. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me or the Assessor of your Town.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 PM

I would check with the town. I know that we're eligible, and dh's retirement check alone (forget his new salary) would put us out of the running if the family limit was truly $36,500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut