U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:15 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,553,729 times

Advertisements

Wow.. Well Welcome to the CT forum, and hopefully Welcome to CT! As a young family starting out you should love CT. Bugs- not an issue, if you see some around your home just call and get them sprayed, but we aren't a state full of locust scorpions etc. - some spiders ants & Japanese beetles, maybe gnats.

As a young family your probably not looking a lot for bars, so yes there are kid friendly activities. Ask your neighbors when you get here.

Neighbors - we mind our own biz and won't intrude upon you. No prying eyes as you unpack. Likely they won't be ringing your door bell with a cobbler. I know it sounds backward to most, but you will likely have to make the effort to let your new neighbors know that you don't mind getting to know new folks.

Church - we don't care what building you go to. No one will ask or say bless your heart when they don't like your answer. Go -don't go. Your fine. However that's always a way to get to know folks.

Kids and playgroups. Check the local FB boards for mom recommendations.

Money there's affordable and not soo much. The big driving factor will be your home costs.

Geology- there is a CT geology society & I think Wesleyan has a geology dept. I know that there's a few companies doing geothermal heating units.. Wouldn't they need geologists? Just a thought.

Taxes will surprise you.

Old but pretty- well to remind you CT is one of the original 13 colonies. Do the math (wink)
For instance modern manufacturing in America started right in my town of Seymour driven by our waterfalls and the Naugatuck River. All or almost all the factories are closed now, but yes that's left us with a lot of old red brick edifices.

You really wouldn't be wrong to choose CT, glad you're thinking of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,161 times
I moved from San Diego to CT 5 years ago and love it, except for the winters. The rest of the year the weather is very nice, and spring is like heaven. Great schools, great proximity to the city, safer gun laws, progressive state government, low crime....there is lots to like.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:16 PM

2,420 posts, read 1,837,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

What a beautiful state you guys have, having lived my whole life in the suburbs of Los Angeles or Salt Lake City, being somewhere that had rural areas so close to cities and... had... trees - so many trees! - and you guys had lakes that weren't dried up reservoirs or.. full of salt.. it was just incredible. East Haddam really impressed me. It's between that and Norwich, Vermont as to what my favorite parts of that trip were.

But I wanted some input of locals. Two days spent doing tourist things can't really tell me much.

I grew up in Colorado & love CT for many of the same reasons you do. I'm looking forward to the replies on this thread! I've had the benefit of traveling t/o New England frequently, having lived in NY since the 80's, and like CT the best. Still so much to see & discover....so many towns with distinct flavor packed into a small state.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 AM

86 posts, read 83,116 times
Can anybody tell me a little about Waterford Ct as far as crime and living there? My wife and I have a chance to rent a place off of Clark Lane in a little neighborhood but I don't know if it's a good area. Thanks

Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 AM

33,036 posts, read 52,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekoe12 View Post
Can anybody tell me a little about Waterford Ct as far as crime and living there? My wife and I have a chance to rent a place off of Clark Lane in a little neighborhood but I don't know if it's a good area. Thanks

According to data on this website (see link below) crime in Waterford is pretty low. Most crime is the petty kind that you normally find in town with regional shopping centers like Waterford. I can't speak to the particular street you are considering but you can try and contact the local police department and see if they can give you information. Jay

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nnecticut.html

Old 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM

200 posts, read 145,229 times
Quote:
I agree with Jay...I think you will be fine in Waterford.

I grew up in SE CT (now live in Central CT) and Waterford was always known and still is as being a nice town with good schools. We go to Waterford Beach quite a bit on the weekends and I think you will like it very much.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:14 PM

3,436 posts, read 8,983,322 times
I agree with the above about Waterford. A perfectly nice town that happens to be the shopping mecca for the local area- it has a mall and the usual big box stores (Home Depot, Walmart, target, etc.). The large shopping area probably drives up the crime stats for the town but it would all be of the petty shoplifting-type variety. It is in a good location too- easy access to I-95, I-395, and not too far from Route 11 which (via Route 2) will bring you straight into Hartford.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:24 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,692,535 times
Quote:
If you go onto City-Data.com (scroll down on main page) there is an interactive map that you can go right down to the neighborhood area. Here is the Clark Lane area data.

Median household income: $59,289
Median house or condo value: $223,889
Median contract rent: $1,173
Unemployment: 3.1%
Residents below the poverty level: 7.6%
Median resident age: 47.8

Here is the ethnic breakdown.

81.4 White
8.7 Black
4.1 Multi-race
4.9 Hispanic
.9 Asian

I heard a little about Waterford a few months ago even though I had never heard of it before. My vets mom & dad (who is also a vet) helps out their son few days a week. I was telling his mom how I want to move on the coastline north of New Haven. She said "We live in Waterford, you should consider it, we love it up there". Then she told me about the Crystal Mall and the hospital etc. up there. I am pretty sure they live on the water though.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:32 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,692,535 times
Here is how you can get an idea of the crime in a specific area. go to Trulia and pick a house on the street you are looking at. Scroll down and you see the crime in the area within a month or so.

144 Clark Lane, Waterford, CT For Sale | Trulia.com

Don't forget if you are near the Post Road (which Clark Lane is) you will be seeing some shop lifting etc. which would be normal but that does not mean Clark Lane is bad itself.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:31 PM

86 posts, read 83,116 times
Thank You all for your valuable input. I did go to Trulia and it showed it to be marked in red as far as crime but I don't know if that was traffic stops or something else. Also I heard there is a homeless camp about 3/4 of a mile from the area I was looking at to rent in which was a bit of a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut